• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise Comics And CGC SS Books

35 posts in this topic

It’s rare that I brag about sweet customer service or good deals, usually I like to keep them to myself so that I can always go back and reap the benefits, this time I was actually blown away with the service that Doug at Paradise offered so I’d figure I’d share, get some feedback and see if this is the norm for them.

I’ve seen Paradise offer up a CGC 9.8 SS MK Spider-Man #1 for months now, I always put it in my watch list and always somehow seem to forget it, I don’t usually set up hammer snipe as I only have 3 a week and they are reserved for “special” auctions, and whenever I check back in AFTER the auction I see that either the book didn’t sell or it went for the one bid minimum.

So I see a new auction of the 9.8 with Millar’s sig, now I’m a Spidey whore and I am also a Millar whore, so this is double uber sweet, thumbsup2.gif I think to myself “I don’t want to wait” “I want that damn book now” so out of the blue I email through ebay explaining I’m sick for the book and ask if he would sell it to me for the opening bid.

Two days go by and I’m thinking “Another power seller not going to give me the time of day” but I was wrong, Doug emailed me on Monday thumbsup2.gif

“I HAVE ANOTHER COPY AVAILABLE SORRY FOR THE DELAY IN GETTING BACK TO YOU I’ll SELL DIRECTLY TO YOU FOR 39.99 U.S PLUS 8.00 SHIPPING”

Sweet. So I email him back, send out payment, which my girlfriend paid for as a early x-mas gift, all is cool, Thursday I have the book in my possession, 3 whole days to ship, and Doug mailed it to my office, as I had to sign for it. Crack the package open, which was super tight, because

1) I wanted to see my book

2) I wanted to see if it had dented corners or slid around in the slab

http://www.accesswave.ca/~shawnbrockley/Comic%20Art/ssmkspidey19.8

Nope, no damage takeit.gif, a real nice 9.8 and Millar’s signature was real crisp as well, no ink smear that you sometimes find on shiny stock. Doug also threw in some free swag which is always a bonus and a few flyers from past Paradise conventions.

I emailed him back to let him know how pleased I was and told him after Christmas I would drop him a line as I would be interested in putting a run of CGC SS book together from something I read.

So is the type of service that is the norm for Paradise? I would like some input from others who have dealt with them before I drop a decent chunk of cash on a run of something. Are there any horror stories associated with Paradise? Since they are in Toronto and I am in Halifax, I’d love to support a Canadian business.

Anyone plan on going to the next Paradise convention April 29th – May 1st? Me and another buddy tossed around the idea of heading up, in my quest to get a Amazing Fantasy 15 in the 2.5-3.5 range I figure this is a good place to start. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

So what’s the word on Paradise?

Doug & Pete are scoundrels and shoudn't be trusted. sumo.gif

stooges.gif

Paradise is my LCS of choice, and I shop there on a regular basis. I submit all my books to CGC through them, and they recently got a bunch of my books signed by Byrne and submitted them for Signature Series.

As soon as they increase my discount....I'll continue. juggle.gif

So is the type of service that is the norm for Paradise? I would like some input from others who have dealt with them before I drop a decent chunk of cash on a run of something. Are there any horror stories associated with Paradise? Since they are in Toronto and I am in Halifax, I’d love to support a Canadian business.

Peter is a Great guy and goes the extra mile for you!

He is going to get me a complete run of all the Cerebus trades each autographed by Dave Sim! Top notch service and gets me everything I need!!

Doug??? Well I cant say anythig due to the restraining order he slapped on me!!

Doug & Pete are scoundrels and shoudn't be trusted. sumo.gif

stooges.gif

Paradise is my LCS of choice, and I shop there on a regular basis. I submit all my books to CGC through them, and they recently got a bunch of my books signed by Byrne and submitted them for Signature Series.

As soon as they increase my discount....I'll continue. juggle.gif

They do seem to have the connections for the signature series thumbsup2.gif

Peter is a Great guy and goes the extra mile for you!

He is going to get me a complete run of all the Cerebus trades each autographed by Dave Sim! Top notch service and gets me everything I need!!

Doug??? Well I cant say anythig due to the restraining order he slapped on me!!

see that is awesome, nothing says true friendship like a restraining order, that's the gift that keep's on giving for 6, 12, 18 or 24 months depending on the mood of the judge thumbsup2.gif

This is the kind of good stuff I want to hear before I drop some moolah

Peter is a great guy. He genuinely cares about the industry and those involved. He is also involved in the community and always invites charities to come to his show (ACTOR, Daily bread food bank, etc.).

He will also go out of his way to get you what you are looking for, and give you a good price for it as well. (That's what you wanted me to say, right Pete?)

As for Doug...well, let's just say, don't turn your back on him or bend over while you are in the store. grin.gifhi.gif

Peter is a great guy. He genuinely cares about the industry and those involved. He is also involved in the community and always invites charities to come to his show (ACTOR, Daily bread food bank, etc.).

He will also go out of his way to get you what you are looking for, and give you a good price for it as well. (That's what you wanted me to say, right Pete?)

As for Doug...well, let's just say, don't turn your back on him or bend over while you are in the store. grin.gifhi.gif

Peter and Doug are consumate professionals, and from what I've been able to see over the years, the very best this hobby has to offer. I would have no hesitation in dealing with Paradise, and as others have already mentioned, are the LCS of choice for Torontonians. I just wish I had more free time to go by, see the new stuff they get in, and just hang-out with Doug and Pete like I used to... frown.gif

I echo the sentiments about Paradise Comics as well. Peter is one of the ABSOLUTE best guys in the hobby, and Paradise Comics is run supremely professionally. I would have 100% confidence in ordering from them, and I encourage you to deal with them without hesitation.

That's correct, Doug does wear dentures.

Don't forget the collar.

So he is the dog too?

waits for someone to use the term for female dog

Why state the obvious? yay.gif

All of you 893censored-thumb.gif guys do realise I not only know where you live but am willing to come find you. Thanks for the good review Shawn thumbsup2.gif