• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Contest - The King Of Pre-Code Horror

41 posts in this topic

I am surprised that Harvey didn't have more books out, thought they would be right up there.

Harvey - they put out 96 issues in all. But man! They were some issues. EC had 91. For EC, again general consensus - horror vs crime - important distinction - 91 issues consisting of:

3-D Tales From the Crypt of Terror, Crypt Of terror, Haunt Of Fear, Tales From The Crypt, Tales of terror Annual and Vault Of Horror.

Hey...I thought that thread was an evil ploy by pov to throw us off track....

Actually, it was an evil plot to GET YOU TO LOOK at the list! smile.gif

OK..I had to admit... I cheated. I know nothing about pre code horror books but luckily read this thread earlier

See above! grin.gif

Are you really willing to send this book all the way to Finland?

Absolutely. PM me your mailing address and I will send it out to you. I only ask that you read it before you sell it! crazy.gif

Actually, it was an evil plot to GET YOU TO LOOK at the list!

I was surprised that others didn't notice that answers there posted earlier by none other than contest organizer himself grin.gif . Luckily I happen to read all GA threads.

I only ask that you read it before you sell it!

I never sell my precious gems smile.gif

Be forewarned, if it's a good story...some day you may run into an Ebayer from Finland bidding furiously against YOU on pre-code horror books.

don't move Atlas out of #1....they had at least a couple of dozen horror titles, and that's not counting Strange Tales 3 years or so before the code.

Atlas had the following before Strange Tales (which came out in June 1951):

Amazing Mysteries...May-49

Marvel Tales...Aug-49

Captain America's Weird Tales...Oct-49

Suspense...Dec-49

Journey Into Unknown Worlds...Sep-50

Advetures Into Terror...Nov-50

Venus...Feb-51

Mystic...Mar-51

Astonishing...Apr-51

Strange Tales...Jun-51

My god! I got this from my list. I am happy it is actually useful - even if to me.

some day you may run into an Ebayer from Finland bidding furiously against YOU on pre-code horror books.

Oh gawd - errr - did I mention that all the text had been blacked out with a magic marker? grin.gif

And please PM your mailing address!

I saw the thread with the list, but figured it would be no fun to try and guess that way.

Actually it would be a bit of work to extrapolate from that list the exact order of the top four, as I gavce no totals. There is a saying I am sure you are familiar with, as you know GA well and hence have intelligence: "It isn't as important to know the information as it is to know where to get the information." grin.gif

But I respect your perception and hope to see more of your enviable scans!

Oh - and that really WAS a ploy to get people to check out the list! grin.gif