• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your CGC Boards Origin Story
5 5

432 posts in this topic

Oh right I originally googled Kermit's Pad because he was listing the 'Wytheville Pedigree'-I had messaged him on ebay that there was no such pedigree -I came across a thread on Kermit's pad and overgrading-I started posting on there, made a bunch of enemies and got the thread poofed. Which Kermit was pretty happy about.

The rest is history.

So Kermit's Pad is responsible for you....

Is that collection from Wytheville Virginia? I grew up near there and never knew that. Interesting.

Finally broke down and decided to grade the few comics I had that we're worth something. After a little reserch, chose CGC, and their boards led me to this one. I realized I might learn something if I stick around.

My first CGC graded book I bought in 2005,wanted to learn more about it.So I googled CGC,and BAM there it was,the message boards.At first I just lurked for years,then one night I felt compelled to sign on,and I stumbled onto Niks grading game.Well I wrote what I thought the grade was,and Divad wrote remove that grade you damn noob at once.I apologised as I removed it.By the way it was correct once revealed. (thumbs u

After that I had the regular noob ribbing for awhile,and have been here for 6 years(8 if you count my lurking). :hi:

Finally broke down and decided to grade the few comics I had that we're worth something. After a little reserch, chose CGC, and their boards led me to this one. I realized I might learn something if I stick around.

+1 for me as well. I have known about CGC since 2004-2005, but just got back into collecting late last year and as a first step, submitted the better books I had from way back when. I have mainly just lurked and learned here and have had awesome buying experiences from other boardies.

My first CGC graded book I bought in 2005,wanted to learn more about it.So I googled CGC,and BAM there it was,the message boards.At first I just lurked for years,then one night I felt compelled to sign on,and I stumbled onto Niks grading game.Well I wrote what I thought the grade was,and Divad wrote remove that grade you damn noob at once.I apologised as I removed it.By the way it was correct once revealed. (thumbs u

After that I had the regular noob ribbing for awhile,and have been here for 6 years(8 if you count my lurking). :hi:

Dave, you gave me the noob :baiting: with one of my first posts! lol

LINK

Dave, you gave me the noob :baiting: with one of my first posts! lol

LINK

It's kind of like a right to passage,but once you are accepted it's all good.I knew a good dude when I see one. (thumbs u

Since we seem to have an influx of new members coming to the site

Yes, we have an influx of new members, the majority of which are not interested in anything but making a quick buck. E-Bay sellers are trying to sell here at their typical inflated prices hoping to avoid the fees. E-Bay sellers are also using the Boards to hype their books. Pump and dump is rampant.

Hoard a particular issue, set up a few fake E-Bay sales, and hype it here. The sad part is, it's working.

So true Bob (thumbs u

Got sucked in after NYCC '12. I had a bunch of books signed and decided to get them slabbed and sig series. While checking on status I learned of the chat board and started lurking. Joined up in February 2013.

I was referred to the boards by LarryW7 who, for the longest time, was Doiby Dickles. As I recall it came out of a discussion on a movie poester collecting forum (maybe MoPo?).

Pov, I think it was on either the Classic Horror Boards, or the now defunct Scarlet Street. Could have been MoPo, I guess. I knew you would love this place.

Me, I don't remember how I found my way here. Probably just googling for forums devoted to older comics, although it could have been a link on another forum, or a newsgroup(remember those?). I've been here almost from the beginning, but I'm more of a reader than a poster. Otherwise I would be up to 50,000 posts by now. Kav nearly has me beat, and he just got here.