• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your CGC Boards Origin Story
5 5

432 posts in this topic

Since we seem to have an influx of new members coming to the site, I was curious how everyone stumbled across this haven.

I discovered the site after first getting into the hobby again after 15 years and making the mistake of ordering "cool stuff" from Dynamic Forces. After waiting 6-8 months for my order to never arrive, I googled Dynamic Forces sucks and here I am :)

Blame GAtor. I bought an Amazing Fantasy 15 from him in 2010 and he recommended these boards as a wealth of resources and to be better involved in the Collecting Community.

I wound up lurking for quite some time then decided to open my mouth and there went the neighborhood.

Edited by Buzzetta

I found out about the boards thanks to Darthdeisel, and lurked for awhile.

I created an account in 2003 to buy some books from Bronzebruce13.

I still read threads almost every day.

Edited by ShieldAgent

Since we seem to have an influx of new members coming to the site

Yes, we have an influx of new members, the majority of which are not interested in anything but making a quick buck. E-Bay sellers are trying to sell here at their typical inflated prices hoping to avoid the fees. E-Bay sellers are also using the Boards to hype their books. Pump and dump is rampant.

Hoard a particular issue, set up a few fake E-Bay sales, and hype it here. The sad part is, it's working.

I was in the midst of notifying folks on various yahoo groups about some scam/scammer and getting the word out when I was directed here as an additional means of notification.

12 years later and I haven't been able to break the gravitational pull.

Since we seem to have an influx of new members coming to the site

Yes, we have an influx of new members, the majority of which are not interested in anything but making a quick buck. E-Bay sellers are trying to sell here at their typical inflated prices hoping to avoid the fees. E-Bay sellers are also using the Boards to hype their books. Pump and dump is rampant.

Hoard a particular issue, set up a few fake E-Bay sales, and hype it here. The sad part is, it's working.

I agree Bob. That was kind of what lead me to start the thread but I know a lot of awesome members are here for the right reason. I have only been here over a year and I would feel weird selling stuff. I enjoy the people I meet here more than making money. :)

I was getting back into the hobby and wanted a couple pieces of OA that coollines had. I asked for prices and got confused since a piece I wanted I saw sold for like $300 on CAF and they were asking around $850. So, I googled "cool lines art scam" and found this place. My life has sucked ever since :grin:

Oh right I originally googled Kermit's Pad because he was listing the 'Wytheville Pedigree'-I had messaged him on ebay that there was no such pedigree -I came across a thread on Kermit's pad and overgrading-I started posting on there, made a bunch of enemies and got the thread poofed. Which Kermit was pretty happy about.

The rest is history.

A guy mentioned Collectors Society to me at a UK comic mart in 2006. Not someone I've ever seen posting here since. I read the boards on-and-off for a couple of years and then decided to join in 2008.

Jesse James recommended it along with getting to know Ed Robertson. Was looking to step up my collecting game (both in terms of what I owned and what I know).

It was a hard sell for me because it is tough to spend more than 5 minutes with Jesse before he starts talking about how awesome he is while trying take your wallet while you are not looking.

Lurked for a couple days and then dove straight in... So far, no good!

:)