• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your CGC Boards Origin Story
5 5

432 posts in this topic

Went to my 1st convention to meet and get some stuff signed by Mike Zeck (absolutely fantastic experience).  Ended up moving from VA to TX, after the move I started thinking about grading as a means to protect some of my books, the signed one included.  So I joined up and quickly learned of my epic blunder, much worse than even going against a Sicilian when death is on the line.  Made friends with the resident board greeter, @ADAMANTIUM, Walking Deadhead, @BladeTX, fellow @electricprune contest winner, @Bkd Reader,  and the off topic champion, @kav. Have had some great conversations over the last few years with several others and met in person with some as well.  Entered contests (grading and otherwise) and just generally stalk the boards throughout the week, interjecting as I feel I can add to the conversation.

@Ricksneatstuff is to blame for me joining. 

I was a SA collector since I was a teenager, but I was always amazed at the books offered on the boards and I often lurked but never joined. 

Rick had an incredible sales thread one day filled with PCH, WWII covers, Baker romance.... I joined that night, but I still didn't post much. 

A few months later I started buying off the boards and it's been all down hill from there! 

On 6/29/2022 at 8:13 PM, berserker barrage said:

I randomly decided to read some omnibus books, which sent me down a rabbit hole of researching comics (comics are cheaper than omnibus books), which sent me down a rabbit hole of learning about comic collecting and slabs.

Now I am here.  

Passion for reading is a must, or at the very least the subject matter. Omnibus have a thread of collectors too, and I'm glad your finding what you like.

That's the best advice the boards has and it's all summed up into "buy what you love!"

Usually people find genres ages and or other criteria, then a venue, it all gets into the thrill of the hunt, but to be able to sit and read is always :x

On 6/29/2022 at 8:35 PM, KCOComics said:

@Ricksneatstuff is to blame for me joining. 

I was a SA collector since I was a teenager, but I was always amazed at the books offered on the boards and I often lurked but never joined. 

Rick had an incredible sales thread one day filled with PCH, WWII covers, Baker romance.... I joined that night, but I still didn't post much. 

A few months later I started buying off the boards and it's been all down hill from there! 

Sweet! I'm glad to know other boardies suggest the boards, and that it hopefully still has the same interest it did since 2019.

There are bumps in the road sometimes but the comics! Comics! Comics! Lol

I’m amazed at how so many remember how they came to the boards lol I think it started when submitting to cgc and lurked for a bit then started to participate took a hiatus with Covid and big life changes for the better.. so was cash strapped and back a bit now hoping to get back into collecting more.

Edited by Krismusic

After a few years off from collecting, was looking on eBay to pick up a birthday present for myself and saw these new "slabbed" books.

That led me to CGC which prompted me to create an account.

I lurked for a long time, mainly just absorbing information and drooling over Cool BooksTM 

That was almost 18 years ago.

-bc

My son was visiting his great uncle and discovered a box of Star Wars comics.  Turns out Uncle Jon wanted to get rid of them and offered to sell the box for $225.  I bought them and here I am wondering what the heck I'm doing.  CGC was the leading Google search when I started asking the interwebs how to sell a collection.

I don't feel like I've been around long enough to have an "origin" story. 

On the other hand, I guess it's not changing no matter how long I stay. 

I bought comics regularly from roughly the ages of 11-18, at which point I went off to college and didn't see them again for about 30 years.  Until my mom told me she was moving and it was either come and get them out of the closet they'd been sitting in all that time, or they were getting kicked to the curb.  So get them I did. 

Then I wondered whether any of them might actually be worth anything after all this time (some were, a little bit, my 11 year old self wasn't especially astute at what series to buy), and a little bit of further internet searching led me here. 

I wasn't necessarily going to make an account, but this was right around Christmas, and I saw the Holiday Raffle as well as the gift exchange threads, and those looked like so much fun, that I decided to up and join, so that maybe next year, I could participate.  And I did!  

I collected comics as a kid in the 80s then again in the early to mid 90s. My girlfriend at the time who became my wife who became my ex wife was into coins and I started collecting those for a good 15 years. Sadly I was destitute around 2000 and sold the comics I had that were real valuable at the time so bye bye hulk 180 and 181 as well as some nice silver age spiderman and Byrne x-men. Then my collection sat in the attic for the next 20 years. Sometime in 2021 I heard a trailer for the venom carnage movie and thought hey I think I have those comics which led me to dig into my collection and start looking at values on ebay. Now I didn't realize I was looking at prices in the peak of a Bull market I just thought man I've gotten so old my 80s and 90s comics are actually valuable now! I saw things needed to be graded to get value and I was familiar with the process from my coin days. When I came to cgc I actually already had an account from ngc. Didn't notice the chat boards til a few months later but have prused them ever since. Have picked up some valuable knowledge along the way.