• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your CGC Boards Origin Story
5 5

432 posts in this topic

Calamerica was threatening to get Stu banned from eBay (this was on the eBay chatboard) so I came here to ...chastise talk to Cal (this is before Stu was banned)...I had enough keeping up with one board and I didn't know anyone here (and Cal was here;) so I left...then GACollectibles (who I knew from the eBay boards) kept sending me links to BangZoom's GA Collection thread...once I looked at one of the links I was totally hooked and I've been around here ever since;)

So,it's totally Andrew's fault, and I blame him;)

When I was young in the early to mid 90's my uncle and I would visit a local comic shop when he would come home to visit. We were club members and we would talk comics all the time and even trade each other books. I believe he may have even known the owner as a childhood friend. He kept all his comics at his parents (my grandparents) house but I never bothered him about going through them or looking at them as they were stored away up in an attic. About 2 years ago he passed away and I asked my grandparents if I could look at his books. None of them were bagged/boarded they were all just standing in boxes. I wanted to preserve them so I purchased bags/boards for every single book (at least 5000) and I have pretty much inherited the collection. Ever since then I sought out to learn more about comics and stumbled upon this great forum. I have really learned a lot and continue to learn more everyday!

Googled cgc vs pgx

+1

Had been collecting raw for a while and was sick of getting over graded comics. Saw PGX and CGC and wanted to learn more. Googled and found this. Joined CGC and they had some information about the boards in their welcome packet. Came on and did everything wrong (sales thread crapping, assuming my knowledge was vastly superior to those guys who had been on the boards a while, etc.) But for every person who was quick to castigate me for my N00b mistakes there were plenty of people encouraging me and educating me so I stuck around.

No sales.

First buy was HouseofComics,Mark rules.

First PM...above.

First good buddy,Human Torch,still is!Love you Dave.

First GA buy,Silversurfer,second good buddy,still is.

First slab and pedigree was esquire comics.

First and only problem...phigam sales wise,threat of violence,was told I would be stabbed,will not mention the name out of respect.

Best friend here and in the world,Kevin J.

Favorite thread.....those that know me know!

Custom title....i don't think it will.ever come.and am madly despondent.

One of the coolest guys I ever met and bought the most from?trmoore54 or RIP Ray O'Gara.....miss you brother...really do.I will one day put together a list of all I bought from you and post them all as a separate collection....i just can't go through the pms....

BEST thread I ever started?This Is A Positive Thread to Make Comics General Better.....

Who rules?Every one.

Oh first person to tell me to :censored: U? Greggy of course.

I was in the midst of notifying folks on various yahoo groups about some scam/scammer and getting the word out when I was directed here as an additional means of notification.

12 years later and I haven't been able to break the gravitational pull.

There is a tremendous volume of suck around here, that's for sure.

I was in the midst of notifying folks on various yahoo groups about some scam/scammer and getting the word out when I was directed here as an additional means of notification.

That's okay. We love you anyway RMA.

I was one of the founding members of the eBay comics board.

When that started to fall apart around 2002, I drifted off and discovered Valiant Comics.com.

Wish I'd found here, instead. Would much rather have gotten into the SS program when some favorite creators were still alive.

That's okay. We love you anyway RMA.

N00b shots.

:cloud9:

It all started when I was a little kid….

I was into that cartoon "The Tick" and one night my parents took me to go see the opera "Die Fledermaus" and I thought, "Cool…I like that character". Unfortunately we left the opera early and my dad led us down a back alley as a shortcut home. Some punk was back there and shot both my parents while trying to rob them.

I was then sent to live with my Aunt and Uncle. I grew up with them. One day after school I went to see this genetics project I was interested in. I guess during the demonstration some spider got in the way of the radiation beams. It then landed on me and bit my hand. It hurt but I got over it quick.

After that I died….unfortunately I was sent to Hell. I made a deal with some guy named Malebol….Malebolg….Malebulge….um…Satan to lead his army to Heaven and I was send back here.

I was just in time to hear Fox announce that the villain in the next X-Men movie would be Apocalypse. So I decided to instantly jump on eBay and buy X-Factor #6 with a CGC grade of 9.4. Then I decided to buy a copy of X-Men #1 (1991) CGC 9.6 SS of Jim Lee and Stan Lee. Pretty soon my collection started booming and I looked for a way to organize and keep track. And so I was led here, and it has been a wild ride ever since...

Someone left the backdoor open so I just kinda wandered in. I'm still looking for my car keys.

It all started when I was a little kid….

I was into that cartoon "The Tick" and one night my parents took me to go see the opera "Die Fledermaus" and I thought, "Cool…I like that character". Unfortunately we left the opera early and my dad led us down a back alley as a shortcut home. Some punk was back there and shot both my parents while trying to rob them.

I was then sent to live with my Aunt and Uncle. I grew up with them. One day after school I went to see this genetics project I was interested in. I guess during the demonstration some spider got in the way of the radiation beams. It then landed on me and bit my hand. It hurt but I got over it quick.

After that I died….unfortunately I was sent to Hell. I made a deal with some guy named Malebol….Malebolg….Malebulge….um…Satan to lead his army to Heaven and I was send back here.

I was just in time to hear Fox announce that the villain in the next X-Men movie would be Apocalypse. So I decided to instantly jump on eBay and buy X-Factor #6 with a CGC grade of 9.4. Then I decided to buy a copy of X-Men #1 (1991) CGC 9.6 SS of Jim Lee and Stan Lee. Pretty soon my collection started booming and I looked for a way to organize and keep track. And so I was led here, and it has been a wild ride ever since...

ummmm........ alrighty then.