• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your CGC Boards Origin Story
5 5

432 posts in this topic

Oh right I originally googled Kermit's Pad because he was listing the 'Wytheville Pedigree'-I had messaged him on ebay that there was no such pedigree -I came across a thread on Kermit's pad and overgrading-I started posting on there, made a bunch of enemies and got the thread poofed. Which Kermit was pretty happy about.

The rest is history.

So Kermit's Pad is responsible for you....

Is that collection from Wytheville Virginia? I grew up near there and never knew that. Interesting.

Oh, really? Where? I grew up in Marion.

I grew up in Blacksburg but still keep a house in Giles Co. Looking forward to moving back East in 6 years or so..

I was looking for the last few hundred comics I needed for all of the Marvel Bronze issues. Used to read the boards for a while without joining. I joined one day to find people who could help me finish the Bronze stuff off. Then I met Jeff (Stronguy) who was doing the same thing I was trying to do and was closer then I was. :tonofbricks: So my 10 year quest (1/70-12/79) turned into a 22 year quest (10/57-12/79) thanks to the boards. :tonofbricks:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1401899&fpart=1

Had a personal tragedy thing happen, needed a diversion. Googled 'comic book forum' got this place and CBR. This place had way better activity from what I could tell, so I stayed.

:applause: getting to know board members on a personal level, and not just behind a keyboard. I think that is what distinguishes us from all the other message boards,and gives us that sense of community.I love meeting board members. (thumbs u

hm

6 years, you live 40 minutes away, and yet....

hm

I would love to meet you RMA.I find your take on all subjects quite fascinating(whether I agree or not),and know that we would click as buds right away. (thumbs u

+1

I found the comic discussion forum on E-Bay and people kept talking about the evil CGC. Ended up hitting a link to these boards and started reading like crazy.

Had a personal tragedy thing happen, needed a diversion. Googled 'comic book forum' got this place and CBR. This place had way better activity from what I could tell, so I stayed.

I've been on CBR for 10 years. Those boards are weird in comparison. They have a TON of posters, but very little activity unless a big story comes out.

They also just relaunched their entire boards because of how vicious it had gotten.

About 5 years ago, we had formed a nice little community in the Spider-Man boards. Then the moderation changed and a lot of people left. It was weird. The moderation team here is a bit strange, but in comparison it is A LOT better than CBR.

I found the comic discussion forum on E-Bay and people kept talking about the evil CGC. Ended up hitting a link to these boards and started reading like crazy.

See... we're not as evil as they say.

9964553_gal.jpg

Got back into the hobby in 2011 after taking a 5 year hiatus. I was looking for a safer place to buy books than eBay and somehow google brought me here. Upon realizing that this is a forum where many highly regarded dealers buy/sell and the plethora of comic knowledge present, I decided this was a good place to stick around.

I was just looking for a place to make some new friends since i'm basically very shy and timid, and don't get out much, but you guys and gals accepted me. i'm getting ready to cry. sad-smiley-047.gif

See... we're not as evil as they say.

9964553_gal.jpg

I think that forum has been deleted so maybe they were the evil ones?

I flipped out about Jason Ewert's auctions (ejaenter or something) and how someone could have that kind of supply of high grade Bronze. Lurked for two years.

Haha - Yeah, he bought a few of my Tomato Boxers and turned them into "pedigrees". lol