• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

International beauty

18 posts in this topic

Here's a comic from back home that I submitted for fun.

These Scandinavian editions are IMHO pieces of art - the

page quality and printer's craftmanship is much higher than

the US Dell editions. (I'd love to see some of the other intl.

collectors here post gems from their home countries, btw.!).

Bigger scan

aa25b.jpg

These Scandinavian editions are IMHO pieces of art

Very pretty indeed. That reminds me of the Belgium movie posters - often shockingly superior to their American counterparts. I have a few originals in my collection (Charlie Chan's Dark Alibi, Bogart's Dead Reckoning and The Clutching Hand. European printing, especially from days passed, can really blow the US out of the water.

Wow...nice pic!

I didn't knew CGC also grades foreign books.

btw...I have seen that book on ebay long time ago, guess who was that Finnish collector who admired it then.

I'll scan some of my Finnish editions this week. Prepare to see some amazing colors!

What's that worth?

I have no idea but I've heard of #1 being worth up to $10K. I would guess $1000 as a high grade raw book. Impossible to tell what kind of multiples you would get.

Arty?

Bronty,

I have no idea what the AA is worth - probably a few hundred bucks or

so(?). I've spent the last 10 years in the US and haven't been following the

market. The funny thing back home is that there is almost no difference

in prices between the grades. Typically, the spread is 1-2-3. Finding

early issues in the above condition is virtually impossible. Btw., the

last I heard AA is still the best selling weekly publication in Denmark

with a print run of about 75-100,000 (back in the 70s it was > 200,000).

Pretty darn good for a country with 5 mio. people! And then there's

the considerable number of special editions, including some stunning

state-of-the-art books.

I totally appreciate the difficulty in finding high grade copies... I lived in Italy until I was 6, and I imagine it's similar to finding hg Topolino or Paperino issues - congratulations on a beautiful comic!!

Here's some Finnish Donald Duck(=Aku Ankka) covers.

This is the rarest comic I have, third oldest in a run, never seen a better copy for sale.

AA2-1952.jpg

I found this on Ebay! I nearly couldn't believe my eyes. Seller also had a Finnish 1952 summer olympics book for sale. I guess some tourist bought them as

souveniers. Unbelievably lucky find, it's easier to win in a lottery than stumble into an American seller with this smile.gif

AA5-1952.jpg

Covers aren't anything amazing because they are made of same paper as interior. But look at these colors! THEY GLOW!

page3.jpg

Here's some more interior pages from the same story: (warning 500kb file size)

http://koti.welho.com/apuska/page6.jpg

http://koti.welho.com/apuska/page7.jpg

http://koti.welho.com/apuska/page8.jpg

They used some strange printing method in Vol 2 numbers 1-6

There's no raster (pixels) at all. Color tones are smooth. Paper quality is good so pages are quite white. Paper is also really thick this 32pgs comic is as thick as 52pgs US WDCS.

Here's some more comic covers:

One of my favorite stories:

AA1B-1954.jpg

Note that ducks are visiting Greenland (Grönlannissa) originally it was Alaska.

These are some of my best copies:

AA3-1954.jpg

AA12-1955.jpg

And finally for comparison: Swedish Donald Duck. Glossiest cover I have seen, they are like lacquered. Etremely fragile paper.(Note the creases)

kalle%20Anka%2017-58.jpg

Bronty: There are many Don Rosa fan sites on the net. Check this for cover scans.

http://www.perunamaa.net/donrosa/gallery_covers.html

Don have drawn several comic covers exclusively for Finnish edition. (and I guess he did some for other European countiers as well) it must be really hard to be a completionist collector.

BTW... there are tons of great stories waiting to be published then US-edition starts. Good times ahead!

Thanks for posting the pics! The interior pages are really neat. I put

a scan from a 1950 Anders And below for comparison. That winter

Kelly cover brings back lots of memories from when I started collecting

back home. As a kid, I always collected huge piles of Anders And and

I treasured the earliest 1966 issue that I had for many years (my parents

didn't have much money). I'll never forget the day in 1979 when my Mom

took me to Copenhagen and brought me to a comic store for the first time

in my life. She bought me a pile of really beat up '50s and 60s copies,

including our version of your comic, and it was the finest present anyone

ever could have given me.

aa_interior.jpg

Nice thread smile.gif

Starting in 1951 onwards Belgium had two different Disney comic books, called "Mickey Magazine". The same weekly was published in French and in Dutch. It was stopped in 1959 after #467.

These were great anthology-type comic books, much larger (European size) than the other 'Duck' magazines that were popping up everywhere else.

Twice a year 26 issues were bundled and reissued as hardcovers with an all-new cover, these hardcovers now command a hefty price on the collectors-market and I'm lucky enough to have rounded up 5 of the 19 hardcovers. My #10 is an absolute Gem, looks like it has hardly been touched in 50 years. My other volumes are a bit worse,but the single issues inside are all VF at least. The added bonus of having a sturdy hardcover protecting the inside covers.

I'll try to get some scans up later today, both covers and insides..

The first ever comic book I got was 'Donald Duck' which was a Dutch weekly started in 1952 (and still going !!) In 1974 I got an issue from my mother and was hooked from start, I got a subscription for my birthday each year and for the next 7 years or so I was Duck-mad. Once I reached the age of twelve I was too mature for Disney and switched to the Tin-Tin weekly. shocked.gif

I was lucky enough to find a nearly complete set of Dutch Donald Ducks from 1975 to 1985 for less than $20 (for more than 500 issues !) and have now put them aside, awaiting for the day my son starts to read so he too can enjoy the magic of Carl Barks, Don Rosa and the rest of the crew.

The Mickey Magazines are mine grin.gif And I'm always on the lookout at local antique fairs for more of the anthology hardcovers, but the fact that after 10 years of searching I've only managed to find 5 of the 19 doesn't bode well frown.gif