• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

said it in the other thread, might as well say it here too,

I love the Rock, and I will see every movie he is in, because they are fun. But the reason Marvel does so well, is they have chosen high quality over all things including name recognition. Some of the biggest stars of the current era in Hollywood, became big by being in Marvel movies and were chosen because of their acting talents and high quality match to the source character material.

DC is trying to rush to play catch up, and throwing big names into movies is not enough to be able to right their movie ship. They'd do better to focus on high quality, young, upcoming actors , as Marvel has and continues to do so.

Samuel Jackson - not young

Robert Downey - not young

Scarlett Johansson - young but not a very good actress but pretty to look at

Chris Evans - young but ok actor

Chris Hemsworth - better actor than Chris Evans

Don Cheadle - old but very good actor

Mark Ruffalo - good actor, not young

Dave Bautista - not an actor

Chris Pratt - hm is there a Chris theme going? funny guy and young!

I wouldn't necessarily say Marvel is doing things better, just maybe DC is doing things differently.

As for the catch up comment, last time I checked DC set the standard with Batman Begins and the Nolan trilogy. I really think that has had the domino effect of the movies we are enjoying today. Iron Man took the baton and ran with it.

Why must there be a need to compare etc, let's just enjoy what we have in the glorious age of comic movies.

Better is relative but while Nolan puts out amazing movies, Marvel is capitalizing on cross marketing like no other company in the history of movies.

What other franchise can you name with so many spin-off successes?

I can't think of one.

I love the Rock, and I will see every movie he is in, because they are fun. But the reason Marvel does so well, is they have chosen high quality over all things including name recognition. Some of the biggest stars of the current era in Hollywood, became big by being in Marvel movies and were chosen because of their acting talents and high quality match to the source character material.

DC is trying to rush to play catch up, and throwing big names into movies is not enough to be able to right their movie ship. They'd do better to focus on high quality, young, upcoming actors , as Marvel has and continues to do so.

I wouldn't necessarily say Marvel is doing things better, just maybe DC is doing things differently.

As for the catch up comment, last time I checked DC set the standard with Batman Begins and the Nolan trilogy. I really think that has had the domino effect of the movies we are enjoying today. Iron Man took the baton and ran with it.

Why must there be a need to compare etc, let's just enjoy what we have in the glorious age of comic movies.

Better is relative but while Nolan puts out amazing movies, Marvel is capitalizing on cross marketing like no other company in the history of movies.

I can't think of one.

All in the Family?

Robert Downey - career relaunched, extremely talented actor

Chris Evans - all biggest movies Marvel, recasting into Captain America, outstanding and has validated choice with excellent acting

Chris Hemsworth - exactly the type of person i mean

Mark Ruffalo - good actor, not young, but still exactly the type of person i mean, and fits right in with what i said

Chris Pratt - funny guy and young! New type of role never seen in before, extremely well cast, and nailed it

Jennifer Lawerence

Michael Fastbender

etc,etc

the list goes on and on

Marvel's casting is the NUMBER one thing that makes their movies so successful. Big names to sell tickets is a dying and out-dated idea, not just in Comic movies. There are very few Actors/Actresses left who can do it.

I can't think of one.

All in the Family?

I can't Roy, but is that what DC is doing? Bosco can confirm this but the last I read they weren't trying to do the "Marvel Universe" type of thing.

Their TV shows aren't going to be part of the movie universe and some of their movie projects are a part of the cinematic universe.

My point is that DC should be taken for what they are doing, comparing them to Marvel is not fair as both are doing completely different things.

Robert Downey - career relaunched, extremely talented actor

Chris Evans - all biggest movies Marvel, recasting into Captain America, outstanding and has validated choice with excellent acting

Chris Hemsworth - exactly the type of person i mean

Mark Ruffalo - good actor, not young, but still exactly the type of person i mean, and fits right in with what i said

Chris Pratt - funny guy and young! New type of role never seen in before, extremely well cast, and nailed it

Jennifer Lawerence

Michael Fastbender

etc,etc

the list goes on and on

Marvel's casting is the NUMBER one thing that makes their movies so successful. Big names to sell tickets is a dying and out-dated idea, not just in Comic movies. There are very few Actors/Actresses left who can do it.

Jennifer Lawrence and Michael Fassbender are part of the Fox Marvel movies.

I believe that Marvels number one success is the talent in the executive producers, writers, directors and actors.

Kevin Feige and Joss Whedon have a big part as they've masterfully orchestrated what Marvel has always done best, Crossovers!

I can't Roy, but is that what DC is doing. Bosco can confirm this but the last I read they weren't trying to do the "Marvel Universe" type of thing.

Their TV shows aren't going to be part of the movie universe and some of their movie projects are a part of the cinematic universe.

My point is that DC should be taken for what they are doing, comparing them to Marvel is not fair as both are doing completely different things.

They say they're not doing the MU thing but they are bringing out multiple movies and starting to unite characters. Superman / Batman, JLA are both movies where characters are uniting.

I'm more inclined to think that they realize they missed the boat and are saving face.

Having said that, it's just personal preference. I didn't think GL sucked. It just wasn't awesome like Nolan's Batman but I guess the same can be said for the Marvel movies, although over all they seem to be of better quality (and casting).

I do feel though, that the cohesion between the Marvel movies really adds an air of maturity to the over all story telling that can't be duplicated with anything else.

I can't Roy, but is that what DC is doing. Bosco can confirm this but the last I read they weren't trying to do the "Marvel Universe" type of thing.

They say they're not doing the MU thing but they are bringing out multiple movies and starting to unite characters. Superman / Batman, JLA are both movies where characters are uniting.

I'm more inclined to think that they realize they missed the boat and are saving face.

Having said that, it's just personal preference. I didn't think GL sucked. It just wasn't awesome like Nolan's Batman but I guess the same can be said for the Marvel movies, although over all they seem to be of better quality (and casting).

I do feel though, that the cohesion between the Marvel movies really adds an air of maturity to the over all story telling that can't be duplicated with anything else.

I agree with your points. I often thought that Marvel went with this direction because they didn't have their big characters that they didn't need to sell (Spider-Man) so in order to make successful movies of their remaining properties they needed to do things differently and tie them all together. Having Disney who is great at making successful movies helps them as well.

I would advise DC differently in some of their decisions but I would probably do the same to Marvel.

Like I said, I'm pretty happy living in this age of comic movies.

It's just marketing. In the same way that Apple forces you to go with mostly Apple stuff, Marvel is forcing people to invest into all of their franchises. It's brilliant marketing.

Like I said, I'm pretty happy living in this age of comic movies.

Yup. My kids don't get it but to anyone that was a collector in the 1990's and earlier, they 'get it'.

Been waiting for this stuff since before the special effects could support the films.

It's just marketing. In the same way that Apple forces you to go with mostly Apple stuff, Marvel is forcing people to invest into all of their franchises. It's brilliant marketing.

This is what makes Disney. They've been doing it for many many years.

I can't think of one.

All in the Family?

This page has a virus on it. I just got a warning when I viewed it at work.

I can't Roy, but is that what DC is doing? Bosco can confirm this but the last I read they weren't trying to do the "Marvel Universe" type of thing.

DC TV & movie projects will remain separate

From what Geoff Johns had provided in interviews, supposedly DC doesn't want to go down the same path as Marvel. Especially if it comes across as cookie cutter Marvel strategy, which then they will be mocked for that approach.

Each will have their benefits and detractors. Marvel movies as of late (2008 to now) have for the most part been solid other than Incredible Hulk and Cap1. But there have been two billion dollar (+) Batman movies, and MOS hit a 3X revenue ratio. Add to this the 1989 Batman that had an 11X revenue ratio (NO OTHER COMIC BOOK MOVIE HAS ACHIEVED THIS YET), and they must have their own magic. DC/Warner just needs to figure out how to pull this all together rather than a bunch of standalone movies and TV shows.

New Line President Talks SHAZAM Movie: Will Have "Sense Of Humor And Fun"

-------------------

After stating the film will contain a "tone unto itself", he elaborated: "It’s a DC comic, but it’s not a Justice League character, and it’s not a Marvel comic. The tone and the feeling of the movie will be different from the other range of comic book movies."

While not able to reveal much about the movie obviously, he did say it "will have a sense of fun and a sense of humor. But the stakes have to be real."

-------------------