• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

IH #181 in HG? :takeit:

I collect what I like and have no interest whatsoever in Cerebus. :P

Really don't care about either of them unless it was to sell them and use that cash to buy what I'm interested in buying.

It's not a knock on Cerebus 1. It's more about the way Overstreet does things. The top 10 BA list provides a "one dimensional" view of a book's value that can easily be misinterpreted. The Cerebus 1, Hulk 181 scenario is an example I've used to demonstrate the problem that can arise with Bob's list if it's taken at face value.

And yes, Overstreet is about valuation, but classifying lower print black and white independents as mainstream books and saying that the former is more valuable than the later because someone paid much more for it doesn't tell the whole story. 9.2 is the second highest grade for Cerebus 1. The book will demand more money than a 9.2 Hulk 181. Sales for second highest graded Cerebus 1 should be compared to those of the second highest graded Hulk 181s since all things are not equal in the real world.

You can't be serious here......are you really saying that the Overstreet valuations should be based upon relative rankings of graded copies of a particular book. Would anybody be able to figure out the real world valuations from the guide if this were the case.

BTW: Did you notice that OS has Hulk 181 valued substantially higher than Cerebus 1 in all condition grades except for the 9.2 top of valuation which is the one used for their Top 10 list. :gossip:

Here's a question to ask the BA key collector who has neither book in their collection:

Suppose there is a single highest graded CGC 9.9 copy for Hulk 181 and Cerebus 1. Which would you pay more for?

BJ;

You have presented us with the perfect scenario and definitive argument here for both cases which will clear up this issue once and for all. (thumbs u

If there was only 1 single highest graded Hulk 181 and Cerebus 1 at CGC 9.9 and I was given no other copies to buy, I would most definitely without a doubt pay more for the Hulk 181. This is because in your particular imaginery world, the supply for both is equal, so the money would definitely go for the Hulk 181 since we all know that the demand for this book far exceeds the demand for Cerebus 1.

Now let's change it to a much more realistic world scenario. Suppose you are at a convention and you see both a CGC 9.2 copy of Hulk 181 and also a CGC 9.2 copy of Cerebus 1, but only have enough money for just one of them. Which one would you buy?

Without a doubt and faster than the Flash, one hand would be reaching for my wallet while my other hand would be reaching for the Cerebus 1. Do you know why.....because you might not see another one in similar condition for years to come and after travelling to countless cons. The Hulk 181.....not a problem as it'll probably show up at the next con the following weekend or on any number of eBay websites or auction listings if you care to look, even at higher grades than CGC 9.2. My gawd, and as financially irresponsible and unbelieveable as it may sound, I would even be willing to pay more for a Cerebus 1 Over a Hulk 1 in this particular condition. lol

With respect to the OS price guide, you should remember that they are not there to report on valuations for single highest CGC 9.9 copies of a book. Their highest valuation listing is only for 9.2 NM- books, and when you are down in this shallow end of the pool, the Cerebus 1 clearly wins out over the Hulk 181. hm

BTW: When did the Overstreet Top 100 and Top 10 rankings become a popularity ranking as opposed to a valuation ranking?

You know why I used the hypothetical scenario. I specifically stayed away from these books in the 9.2 range since Hulk 181 is readily available at higher grades. In the realistic world, the better example to use is a choice between the highest graded Hulk 181 and Cerebus 1. This is fair since Overstreet decided to compare both books at the 9.2 range, especially when one of them had a print run that would easily make it noticeable to a collector of underground comics while the other, a popular mainstream book, is abundant at this grade. If you had a choice between either for your collection, you would take the Cerebus?

And yes, Overstreet is about valuation, but classifying lower print black and white independents as mainstream books and saying that the former is more valuable than the later because someone paid much more for it doesn't tell the whole story. 9.2 is the second highest grade for Cerebus 1. The book will demand more money than a 9.2 Hulk 181. Sales for second highest graded Cerebus 1 should be compared to those of the second highest graded Hulk 181s since all things are not equal in the real world.

This. Or compare them both in their respective highest grades. The highest graded cerebus apparently sold for $9k.

The highest grade hulk 181 sold for $150k.

If Overstreet is seriously only comparing their relative "values" in just one grade and using that to create his list, then that's just silly and makes the list meaningless.

If anything he should compile the list based on the weighted values across all grades.

-J.

+1. And again I would posit that a very large chunk of the "value" of Cerebus is more institutional (read: Overstreet) than real (read: It isn't the "must have" book of the BA, Marvel or otherwise). Its place on the list is just as non-sensical as some of the other books Overstreet also has on there that Blazincomics has mentioned, all of which contribute to the overall lack of credibility of the list.

-J.

And you would be incorrect.

You can argue with the OPG, which is fine.

You cannot argue with sales data.

Sale: Cerebus #1, 9.4, $9.000.

Someone actually was willing to pay $9,000 for this book. That is indisputable.

Yeah, but that book is so rare that I'm not sure that is the market price or the coked up Nick Cage after a pint of Courvasier price, RMA? Maybe it was the same lunatic that piled 30 large into that 9.6 GL 76. Either way, everyone wants to avoid the 300 lb gorilla in the room. That's right, I'm talking DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #5. There's been an 8.0 on ebay for $565 for 3 years. If you want romance, buy a bottle of Johnson & Johnson's grab the iPad and lock yourself in a closet. Don't blow $500 on a comic.

lol exactly. One or two sales doesn't make a book "worth" something. The hundreds and hundreds of hulk 181 transactions in any given year provide us with plenty of actual and factual sales that definitely tell us the "value" of a hulk 181.

The purported sales of the occasional high grade cerebus are so sparse as to be anecdotal, at best.

-J.

So, let me see if I understand this:

Actual sales recorded at GPA = "purported sales."

The 11 sales recorded at GPA in 9.0 and above = "anecdotal."

What someone is willing to pay does NOT = "what something is worth"

hm

I'm not sure you understand the basic terms and principles of economics.

:shrug:

I could be wrong, but the way in which you use economic terms and principles is at odds with the accepted definitions of those terms and principles.

Does the Overstreet Guide say that Cerebus is more valuable in all grades? If so, this is certainly valid. If not, classic straw man. I don't know because I haven't bought an Overstreet in 4 or 5 years.

Evidently overstreet says what the OP states in his subject line.

But there's at least two grades where hulk 181 is about 2X the "value" of cerebus.

Let the qualifiers commence!

:ohnoez:

-J.

~ ahem ~

The "Top 10/20" lists in the OPG are according to the top price, top grade listed in the OPG: NM- (9.2.)

This is clearly stated, both in the introduction to said lists, and in the charts themselves.

The lists aren't based on value in every grade.

At least, that's how it is in my 2010 OPG (the latest one I have.) I imagine nothing has changed in this respect, but I'm willing to be corrected on that.

You can't be serious here......are you really saying that the Overstreet valuations should be based upon relative rankings of graded copies of a particular book. Would anybody be able to figure out the real world valuations from the guide if this were the case.

BTW: Did you notice that OS has Hulk 181 valued substantially higher than Cerebus 1 in all condition grades except for the 9.2 top of valuation which is the one used for their Top 10 list. :gossip:

No, I'm saying that one should be careful to conclude that the value of a book at a specific grade will tell the whole story. The relative rankings of a particular book can give us a greater understanding of the book's overall value.

And yes, I did notice the the Hulk 181 9.2 "discrepancy."

It's not a knock on Cerebus 1. It's more about the way Overstreet does things. The top 10 BA list provides a "one dimensional" view of a book's value that can easily be misinterpreted. The Cerebus 1, Hulk 181 scenario is an example I've used to demonstrate the problem that can arise with Bob's list if it's taken at face value.

In what way is this view "one dimensional"? How and in what way can this information be misinterpreted?

What is it about the Cerebus #1, Hulk #181 scenario that demonstrates the problem you describe?

What about the list leads anyone to believe that Cerebus #1 is more popular than Hulk #181?

Is it true or false that, at the highest grades, Cerebus #1 is more valuable than Hulk #181?

No, I'm saying that one should be careful to conclude that the value of a book at a specific grade will tell the whole story.

What part of the story is it not telling?

In what way is this view "one dimensional"? How and in what way can this information be misinterpreted?

Simple - Someone reads the list and sees that Cerebus 1 is more valuable than Hulk 181, therefore leading that person to conclude it must be a more valuable book, period.

What is it about the Cerebus #1, Hulk #181 scenario that demonstrates the problem you describe?

Read my earlier post about comparing a non-mainstream book to one that is.

What about the list leads anyone to believe that Cerebus #1 is more popular than Hulk #181?

It's the OSPG Top 10 BA List for the 44th Edition.

Is it true or false that, at the highest grades, Cerebus #1 is more valuable than Hulk #181?

What do you think is the answer to your last question?

Edited by bronzejonny

No, I'm saying that one should be careful to conclude that the value of a book at a specific grade will tell the whole story.

You can't figure that out yourself?

Here's a question to ask the BA key collector who has neither book in their collection:

Suppose there is a single highest graded CGC 9.9 copy for Hulk 181 and Cerebus 1. Which would you pay more for?

BJ;

You have presented us with the perfect scenario and definitive argument here for both cases which will clear up this issue once and for all. (thumbs u

If there was only 1 single highest graded Hulk 181 and Cerebus 1 at CGC 9.9 and I was given no other copies to buy, I would most definitely without a doubt pay more for the Hulk 181. This is because in your particular imaginery world, the supply for both is equal, so the money would definitely go for the Hulk 181 since we all know that the demand for this book far exceeds the demand for Cerebus 1.

Now let's change it to a much more realistic world scenario. Suppose you are at a convention and you see both a CGC 9.2 copy of Hulk 181 and also a CGC 9.2 copy of Cerebus 1, but only have enough money for just one of them. Which one would you buy?

Without a doubt and faster than the Flash, one hand would be reaching for my wallet while my other hand would be reaching for the Cerebus 1. Do you know why.....because you might not see another one in similar condition for years to come and after travelling to countless cons. The Hulk 181.....not a problem as it'll probably show up at the next con the following weekend or on any number of eBay websites or auction listings if you care to look, even at higher grades than CGC 9.2. My gawd, and as financially irresponsible and unbelieveable as it may sound, I would even be willing to pay more for a Cerebus 1 Over a Hulk 1 in this particular condition. lol

With respect to the OS price guide, you should remember that they are not there to report on valuations for single highest CGC 9.9 copies of a book. Their highest valuation listing is only for 9.2 NM- books, and when you are down in this shallow end of the pool, the Cerebus 1 clearly wins out over the Hulk 181. hm

BTW: When did the Overstreet Top 100 and Top 10 rankings become a popularity ranking as opposed to a valuation ranking?

You know why I used the hypothetical scenario. I specifically stayed away from these books in the 9.2 range since Hulk 181 is readily available at higher grades. In the realistic world, the better example to use is a choice between the highest graded Hulk 181 and Cerebus 1. This is fair since Overstreet decided to compare both books at the 9.2 range, especially when one of them had a print run that would easily make it noticeable to a collector of underground comics while the other, a popular mainstream book, is abundant at this grade. If you had a choice between either for your collection, you would take the Cerebus?

This. Or compare them both in their respective highest grades. The highest graded cerebus apparently sold for $9k.

If Overstreet is seriously only comparing their relative "values" in just one grade and using that to create his list, then that's just silly and makes the list meaningless.

If anything he should compile the list based on the weighted values across all grades.

-J.

-J - In all seriousness, I like your idea about weighted values. (thumbs u

hm

This seems like an interesting game.

Let's play.

Hulk #181 in CGC 9.9 sold for $150,000. Never mind if it was "one sale", and "one sale" doesn't tell the whole story (as you stated yourself earlier.) Let's consider it an actual sale, rather than "purported" or "so sparse as to be anecdotal, at best", even though it has only occurred once.

The Cerebus #1 in CGC 9,4 sold for $9,000

Both of these are the current highest grade for these books.

hm

I have one for you...the highest graded Detective Comics #38 sold for a mere $107k, while the highest graded Hulk #181 sold for $150k.

Therefore, Hulk #181 is worth more than Detective Comics #38.

Ooo, this is fun! Let's do some more!

The highest graded copy of Showcase #4 sold for $179k. That means that Hulk #181 is worth just a little less than Showcase #4.

The highest graded copy of Tales to Astonish #27 sold for $75,000. That means that Hulk #181 is worth more than TTA #27.

The highest graded copy of More Fun Comics #52 sold for $89k. That means that Hulk #181 is worth more than More Fun #52.

....right?

Interestingly enough, these lists have been featured in the OPG for decades.

-J.

That sounds like a wonderful project! I eagerly await your results!

:applause:

Oh, no, I'm clearly a numbskull, and need these things carefully explained, or they go right over my head.

Please, by all means, explain away! :)

Oh, no, I'm clearly a numbskull, and need these things carefully explained, or they go right over my head.

No, it's okay. You not a numbskull and you don't need someone like me to explain it to you.

Simple - Someone reads the list and sees that Cerebus 1 is more valuable than Hulk 181, therefore leading that person to conclude it must be a more valuable book, period.

It IS a more valuable book, by the parameters given by Overstreet in his article. Do you dispute this?

I'm not quite sure I understand. Why is this comparison a problem? Are they both not comic books? Does the OPG provide prices for most comic books?

How does comparing the value of one book to another create a problem, and what, exactly, IS that problem?

That doesn't answer my question. That list very clearly describes itself as the Top 10 BA in terms of value. There's nothing in that list, or the section in which it is contained, that says anything about popularity.

Quite obviously, the answer is true, based on sales data alone. What do YOU think is the answer to this question?

No, it's okay. You not a numbskull and you don't need someone like me to explain it to you.

Sooooo....what part of the story is it not telling?

I mean, if you're going to say something, you gotta be prepared to back it up.

;)

It IS a more valuable book, by the parameters given by Overstreet in his article. Do you dispute this?

I'm not quite sure I understand. Why is this comparison a problem? Are they both not comic books? Does the OPG provide prices for most comic books?

How does comparing the value of one book to another create a problem, and what, exactly, IS that problem?

That doesn't answer my question. That list very clearly describes itself as the Top 10 BA in terms of value. There's nothing in that list, or the section in which it is contained, that says anything about popularity.

Quite obviously, the answer is true, based on sales data alone. What do YOU think is the answer to this question?

Already stated my position. You don't agree. That's okay with me.

RMA you're not a numbskull and I actually think you're just entertaining yourself in this thread at this point.

I'm fairly certain that you understand quite well that the OP's point that Overstreet comparing books in only one grade leads to one or two anomalous sales (ie Cerebus in a 9.2) queering the list and giving a completely false impression (ie that Cerebus is a more "valuable" BA book than Hulk 181, when it obviously is not by a mile).

-J.

RMA you're not a numbskull and I actually think you're just entertaining yourself in this thread at this point.

I'm fairly certain that you understand quite well that the OP's point that Overstreet comparing books in only one grade leads to one or two anomalous sales (ie Cerebus in a 9.2) queering the list and giving a completely false impression (ie that Cerebus is a more "valuable" BA book than Hulk 181, when it obviously is not by a mile).

-J.

Well stated (thumbs u