• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Slight correction here for you and Johnny........Overstreet has had Hulk 181 at a higher valuation in NM- 9.2 grade in last year's guide already, with Hulk 181 coming in at $3K and Cerebus 1 coming in at $2,600.  :gossip:

And as we all know, Overstreet has always had Hulk 181 ahead of Cerebus 1 in all grades under 9.2.

So, maybe Overstreeet is not quite as irrelevant as you might think and it's actually this thread here that has been irrelevant for the past year or so.  hm  lol

Lou, thanks for pointing out last year's guide change -  I failed to take notice of it in last year's guide because this thread had fallen off my radar screen. I had hoped this thread would have moved beyond the Bardo but it still lingers. 

Nevertheless, this year only reinforces the place Hulk 181 has - the greatest Bronze Age key and the most valuable mainstream book from that era. 

Lou, please read my threads carefully- one point I have never claimed is that the Guide is irrelevant. I have every edition (including Bob's personal copy of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a few other editions). The Guide has been the center of my comic book collecting experience since I was a kid and remains so. The Guide is one of the greatest contributions that the Bronze Age has given to this medium. Let me also add that there's a reason why all the major auction houses and dealers advertise in the Guide- because it is the industry bible and has only gotten better with time (despite some terrible covers!).

Edited by bronze johnny

15 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Lou, please read my threads carefully- one point I have never claimed is that the Guide is irrelevant. I have every edition (including Bob's personal copy of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a few other editions). The Guide has been the center of my comic book collecting experience since I was a kid and remains so. The Guide is one of the greatest contributions that the Bronze Age has given to this medium. Let me also add that there's a reason why all the major auction houses and dealers advertise in the Guide- because it is the industry bible and has only gotten better with time (despite some terrible covers!).

Johnny;

Looks like both you and I have the exact same high opinion with respect to the Overstreet Price Guide.  (thumbsu

Actually, my comment about the irrelevancy of the guide was really more directed at Jay since he was the one to comment on the lack of usefulness of the guide.  I always like to point out that the title of the book itself states that it is only a "guide" and from a price valuation point of view, I have always use it more from a "relative" valuation point of view, as opposed to an "absolute" valuation point of view.  hm

Nice to see that you also have the first 3 editions of the guide in your collection.  I have the initial White copy of the first price guide along with a set of the 2nd and 3rd editions signed by Bob Overstreet and given to be as a Christmas present by John Snyder.  :cloud9:

BTW:  What was the top of guide price for Hulk 181 vs Cerebus 1 this year, since I won't be getting my copy of the guide until this coming Tuesday?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/23/2017 at 1:02 AM, lou_fine said:

Johnny;

Looks like both you and I have the exact same high opinion with respect to the Overstreet Price Guide.  (thumbsu

Actually, my comment about the irrelevancy of the guide was really more directed at Jay since he was the one to comment on the lack of usefulness of the guide.  I always like to point out that the title of the book itself states that it is only a "guide" and from a price valuation point of view, I have always use it more from a "relative" valuation point of view, as opposed to an "absolute" valuation point of view.  hm

Nice to see that you also have the first 3 editions of the guide in your collection.  I have the initial White copy of the first price guide along with a set of the 2nd and 3rd editions signed by Bob Overstreet and given to be as a Christmas present by John Snyder.  :cloud9:

BTW:  What was the top of guide price for Hulk 181 vs Cerebus 1 this year, since I won't be getting my copy of the guide until this coming Tuesday?  hm

I've also got the first printing of the 1st Edition. The entire collection is a work of comic book art!

Hulk 181 - 3500 17% increase from 2016

Cerebus - 2800 - 8% increase from 2016

Its been some time since the last post on this topic so I thought I'd revive the discussion with a listing on Clink's Fall Featured auction.  A CGC 8.5 Signature Series, signed by Dave. 

Here's the linky:

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dcerebus%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1210480&id=1210480&itemType=0

1 hour ago, jason4 said:

Hulk 181 by a mile. What the hell is a cerebus. An elephant with a sword? To each his own I guess but honestly no one pretty much knows who this thing is. Everyone knows wolverine. 

Hahaha but Cerebus is still a key BA book with a very limited print run it will continue to grow in value simply because there are more people that want one that there are that are available. I own a CGC 8.0 white pages and enjoy owning it!! But no way is he more popular than Wolverine and never will be.

11 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

That's not true at all. There are plenty for sale all over ebay alone. They all sit there forever. 

-J.

Leave the little porker/Cerebus alone!! I am going to eat him next year for Easter!!

Edited by SC22