• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

The only thing these books have going for them is rarity and nothing else! The creators had to be threatened with legal action due to their spoofing attempts of Marvel properties. "Red Sophia, Wolveroach, Moon roach"... Cmon.. Seriously??? What a joke! I don't know but just doesn't seem like a serious title or publishing company for that matter 2c

http://momentofcerebus.blogspot.com/2015/06/newswatch-marvel-threatens-aardvark.html?m=1

Being threatened with a lawsuit by Marvel is a badge of honor. :D

Tell you what...I'll send you a copy of the first phonebook, on me. You read it, and tell me what you think. After that, you can sell it, give it away, shred it, whatever you want. But you have to read it. First 25 issues. Actually, I would prefer you gave it away to someone else, but it would be yours to do with as you please.

PM your info, and I'll get one out to you as soon as I can (have to order one; don't know where my copies are.)

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

The only thing these books have going for them is rarity and nothing else! The creators had to be threatened with legal action due to their spoofing attempts of Marvel properties. "Red Sophia, Wolveroach, Moon roach"... Cmon.. Seriously??? What a joke! I don't know but just doesn't seem like a serious title or publishing company for that matter 2c

http://momentofcerebus.blogspot.com/2015/06/newswatch-marvel-threatens-aardvark.html?m=1

Usagi is published by Dark Horse, is still ongoing, and its creator has not been the subject of such legal action. 

On 2/17/2019 at 11:42 PM, Frank Mozz said:

100% correct its a niche market with a limited number of interested buyers & also just as important a limited number of high-grade copies existing thus the reason Cerebus #1 is currently listed in OSPG where it is. Which I think was the initial topic & discussion of this post? However, that has nothing to do with the historical importance, influence & impact of the book. Meaning I think right now most people would agree Hulk 181 looks to be the top key book of the Bronze age that doesn't mean the character ie Wolverine ( whom I love) is even close to being as groundbreaking as Cerebus was to the industry & thus the reason for continued interest in a low print run self-published Canadian comic book about an aardvark with a sword ( I mean 99.9% of the once HOT independent books are not worth the paper they were printed on  today) So In my opinion, when taken into the context of when and how the book was published & the evolution of the book creatively its a very important part of comic history just like Detective 1 is not 27 it is still a very significant book  to our hobby.

Just curious do you find the character itself (Cerebus) to be the main attraction the source of interest and/or importance or the fact that it was a highly successful independent publishing effort which of course is very rare? In other words do you think the "ground breaking" stems from the character or what the independent publisher was able to pull off? 

I find it interesting that some would place Cerebus on par with Wolverine as far as importance O.o

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Just curious do you find the character itself (Cerebus) to be the main attraction the source of interest and/or importance or the fact that it was a highly successful independent publishing effort which of course is very rare? In other words do you think the "ground breaking" stems from the character or what the independent publisher was able to pull off? 

I find it interesting that some would place Cerebus on par with Wolverine as far as importance O.o

Just curious have you read any posts in this thread? No one is doing this. The cost of something does not equal to its importance.

4 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Not I,portance to the broader pop culture sphere, but plain old desirability. Some people just want what they want. I like good stories. Is Hulk 181 a good story?

3 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Not I,portance to the broader pop culture sphere, but plain old desirability. Some people just want what they want. I like good stories. Is Hulk 181 a good story?

100%  nailed it & this too............................The cost of something does not equal to its importance.

Sad to see how many people are ignorant about Cerebus and how important the book was in it's time. It's become marginalized because of some of Dave Sim's beliefs and because it ended in 2004, but those who were actually collecting in the 80's remember it well.

I owned many copies of Hulk #181 in my years of collecting, but I always ended up selling them. I knew there would always be another opportunity to buy that book back if I wanted it. As far as Cerebus, it took me years to put together my complete set and my #1 is mid-grade at best, but I'm very proud to own it. 

I'm just not sure if someone who is only used to reading new DC and Marvel books would even appreciate Cerebus if they were given a copy of the first "phone book". Since the early stuff is mainly Conan-type adventure, most of these newer fans aren't even that familiar with Conan, so it would probably not be of interest. I think I'd rather start a new reader with the "High Society" book and if they find it interesting, let them go back and read the first one to get the backstory.

Not sure how any of that should tie in to this thread, as it is about how a CGC 9.8 copy of Cerebus #1 is non-existent, but just felt the need to rebut those who are disparaging something they know nothing about.

High Society doesn't make much sense if one starts there...the first 25 are the groundlayers, so to speak, and while #1 is straight up parody, the series established a lot of what would become High Society in the earliest issues. For example: the Roach makes his first appearance in issue #11, and he's a mainstay throughout the next several years. And...I daresay the Tick may be an homage...

But, by all means, if people are offering, they should send whatever they think best.

I haven't received a response from MGsimba, so I guess they're not interested...?

Dave Sim put more thought into the contents of Cerebus than most creators ever have or will put into their comics. He even made up a new card game (which I have a few sets of). But more seriously, his thoughts on drinking and violence and how that plays out in the comics are brilliant and thought provoking. (Once you enter the pub and drink you cannot leave until you are sober. Therefore most patrons stay for days.) He was finding his voice in the earlier issues (I agree that you should read them in order to see what is what though) but by the middle he was a social satirist of the highest order. And he could draw, boy could he draw. Gerhard's backgrounds are lovely as well. Guys, Jaka's Story, High Society, Church & State, all great reads.

1 hour ago, Brother J said:

Sad to see how many people are ignorant about Cerebus and how important the book was in it's time. It's become marginalized because of some of Dave Sim's beliefs and because it ended in 2004, but those who were actually collecting in the 80's remember it well.

I owned many copies of Hulk #181 in my years of collecting, but I always ended up selling them. I knew there would always be another opportunity to buy that book back if I wanted it. As far as Cerebus, it took me years to put together my complete set and my #1 is mid-grade at best, but I'm very proud to own it. 

I'm just not sure if someone who is only used to reading new DC and Marvel books would even appreciate Cerebus if they were given a copy of the first "phone book". Since the early stuff is mainly Conan-type adventure, most of these newer fans aren't even that familiar with Conan, so it would probably not be of interest. I think I'd rather start a new reader with the "High Society" book and if they find it interesting, let them go back and read the first one to get the backstory.

Not sure how any of that should tie in to this thread, as it is about how a CGC 9.8 copy of Cerebus #1 is non-existent, but just felt the need to rebut those who are disparaging something they know nothing about.

I think most people just couldn’t get into the character because of how it looks. Looks like an elephant and pig offspring to me. I also challenge the “importance” of this book. If you ask 100 people who is Cerebus 100 people will likely say they don’t know.

Just asked someone who grew up in the 80’s and they said “what? Don’t ask me weird questions”

I read that the writer did inspire others but I bet you they would have been inspired by someone else anyway if not for this comic. In the future the few fans Cerebus had will be gone and values will drop while wolverine will always be huge. I’d have to doubt we will be getting a Cerebus movie or revival. Just my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Wow. I have absolutely no idea who Cerebus is, and I'd like to think that I'm well versed in pop/comic culture. Why haven't I heard about him until now? 

Even people who are well versed in comics haven’t heard of it. 

9 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Just curious have you read any posts in this thread? No one is doing this. The cost of something does not equal to its importance.

I know it doesn't and Yes I have. That's why I asked the question. Go back a couple of pages and you'll find one or two placing the characters on equal footing.

Check that: I meant one page back

Edited by MGsimba77

I’m dating myself here but I honestly didn’t know who he was until he turned up in spawn in the early / mid 90’s - I had grown up in the 80’s and cut my teeth reading DC, Marvel and MAD magazine from my dad - but that was my first introduction , unfortunately I didn’t persue his character 

Just googled Cerebus. Looks familiar now. 

Just wait until they make a Cerebus movie, then everyone will wish they had picked up a copy of his first appearance (not likely to happen though).

Honestly, I don't think Cerebus is as important as some might want him to be. This is strictly speaking at a universal level though, and I can understand how something obscure could mean a lot to a small group of fans.

Also, I grew up in the 80's, and no one I knew ever mentioned Cerebus. 

Edited by Darkowl

17 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

Just googled Cerebus. Looks familiar now. 

Just wait until they make a Cerebus movie, then everyone will wish they had picked up a copy of his first appearance (not likely to happen though).

Honestly, I don't think Cerebus is as important as some might want him to be. This is strictly speaking at a universal level though, and I can understand how something obscure could mean a lot to someone.

Cerebus isn't as important as say wolverine but the comic is way more important to the industry than IH 181. Dave Sim's ability to launch and CONTINUE this series at a time when true independent books had a difficult time to find an audience and get into comic book stores. I have always been impressed with the Cerebus run. 

6 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

Cerebus isn't as important as say wolverine but the comic is way more important to the industry than IH 181. Dave Sim's ability to launch and CONTINUE this series at a time when true independent books had a difficult time to find an audience and get into comic book stores. I have always been impressed with the Cerebus run. 

He also offered new artists a chance to showcase their fledgling comics in the back of Cerebus at no charge. Bone was one of the books that got this treatment.

20 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

I'm not entirely sure how one could even measure this. H181 has single handedly brought in thousands upon thousands of readers, and collectors over the years, truly magnifying and expanding the popularity of comic book culture to a perpetual degree. It's a massive snowball that keeps growing. Wolverine is a key player that helps keep the comic book world alive, which is exactly why H181 IS as important to the industry. 

To be fair, I almost don't even think the comparison should be made, because we're talking about indie comics, and mainstream comics, which are two very different worlds. 

I'm not saying Cerebus didn't have an important role, but to say that it's role was more important to the industry than H181 really makes me scratch my head.

Edited by Darkowl

2 hours ago, Brother J said:

I wouldn't call them ignorant. The character sold only 35,000 copies at it`s peak. In the end it wasn't even breaking 10,000 copies.

Seriously though the main reason it isn't remembered was it never made it to the big screen or had a regular tv series.

That`s why the majority of people had never heard of it.

Groot is more popular than Cerebus with the world.

Yes, I repeat Groot is more popular with the whole world than Cerebus. ha, ha, lol.

Cerebus reminds me of Walt Kelly`s Pogo.

A great important strip,but no one really tried to bring it to the mass audience with a regular tv show or movie. So now it is almost forgotten.

Pogo vs Calvin and Hobbs is like the Cerebus vs Wolverine question.

Now the good news is I would say Cerebus #1 is a huge sleeper because eventually Hollywood could get its hands on it. Either Dave Sim might give in or maybe his estate after death.

Dave Sim is the key.  Right now Dave Sim is pulling a Bill Watterson in that he doesn't want Hollywood touching his creation.

4 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

100%  nailed it & this too............................The cost of something does not equal to its importance.

How many people started to collect comic books because of Wolverine or Cerebus?

My money is on Wolverine getting more people hooked on comic books than Cerebus. That`s importance.

Ask Disney who they rather make a trilogy of movies about Wolverine or Cerebus?

I am 100 percent certain Disney would say Wolverine. That`s importance.

Cerebus #1 is a historical important book, but so is Fantasy Quarterly #1 the first Elfquest.

So I think a better showdown would be Cerebus #1 vs Fantasy Quarterly #1 the first Elfquest.

The battle of the independents.

Cerebus #1 and Hulk #181 are just two different beasts.

I will say though comparing Cerebus #1 to Incredible Hulk #181 is pretty smart because now people who have never heard of Cerebus are talking about Cerebus. That`s what I call great marketing. I know I will keep an eye out now in the Boston area for Cerebus #1 copies. :smile:

Smart, savy move.

ha ha. lol. 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur