• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

It definitely makes sense that a book like Cerebus 1 would outsell Hulk 181 in comparable grades, due to it picking up steam like other Indie titles. The difference in census numbers is insane!

Cerebus 1 has 2 9.4's in the highest graded column, with the next down 5 9.0's, 18 8.5's and so on, ending with just a mere 221 total blue labels and 270 overall graded. So I mean wow, insane rarity! I'm too lazy to google the print numbers if that's known or if it was discussed in this thread earlier lol, but must have been pretty low.

Oh definitely.    All the indies are rapidly rising (have you seen Albedo 2?) , and Cerebus 1 is the original Indie bad boy that started it all. 

Collectors want it because its the first independent series (not DC or Marvel)  that went mainstream and propelled the next generation of indie comic creators including Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Bone, Usagi and even Image comics.  Todd  McFarlane was obviously a fan. 

Now on top of that historical  aspect,  there is the 2000 print run and the strange history of counterfeits showing up in 1982.  There was no question this book would shoot back up eventually.  It will always hold a place in comic book history .. 

Edited by Wolverinex

5 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

It definitely makes sense that a book like Cerebus 1 would outsell Hulk 181 in comparable grades, due to it picking up steam like other Indie titles. The difference in census numbers is insane!

Cerebus 1 has 2 9.4's in the highest graded column, with the next down 5 9.0's, 18 8.5's and so on, ending with just a mere 221 total blue labels and 270 overall graded. So I mean wow, insane rarity! I'm too lazy to google the print numbers if that's known or if it was discussed in this thread earlier lol, but must have been pretty low.

I had a 9.2 sig series which I sold a few months ago on this board 

On 2/16/2022 at 6:15 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Resto removal?

Yep.

Here’s the “before”:

image.jpeg.654709acc3909027437d39c8dfa765a6.jpeg

I bought this book at a show back in 1984 before I had developed even rudimentary restoration detection skills. 

Having said that, no regrets. Dave Sim signed the first page for me back in 1993 and CGC has now absolved the book of its sins, even if it’s a little roughed up. (thumbsu

On 2/16/2022 at 10:58 PM, Off Panel said:

Yep.

Here’s the “before”:

image.jpeg.654709acc3909027437d39c8dfa765a6.jpeg

I bought this book at a show back in 1984 before I had developed even rudimentary restoration detection skills. 

Having said that, no regrets. Dave Sim signed the first page for me back in 1993 and CGC has now absolved the book of its sins, even if it’s a little roughed up. (thumbsu

Seriously :takeit: but so broke and your not selling lol anyway, that story is a good one for keeping, I'd be proud just as there are really few of them period. I mean sure not "rare" as golden age, but that would hit my sweet spot :x 

On 2/16/2022 at 12:43 PM, Off Panel said:

I just got my personal copy back from CGC (although no one would mistake it for high grade).

28657FD2-C8B3-462D-92B1-AF4F37E2EB74.thumb.jpeg.f310cdd6e4f1e16d2e44ae4abf43c92d.jpeg

Nice book.

Cerebus 1's are inching above Hulk 181 in higher grades in  recent sales.

4.0 sold for 3800 which is similar but at 7.0 just sold for $7500 which is significantly higher than Hulk 181 7.0 (which is around 5800)

Edited by Wolverinex

On 6/6/2022 at 7:09 PM, bronze_rules said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225013276024?hash=item3463d61d78:g:NsEAAOSwazpihZQe

Is this an incentive to create rare counterfeit copies?:shiftyeyes: Hulk 181?:shiftyeyes:

Yeah that counterfeit copy is really weird.  I wish we could figure out the real story behind those.

Edited by Wolverinex