• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dentist, Metropolis...

276 posts in this topic

I was helping out at a booth last year and Dave Anderson and his son Adam came by and negotiated and bought a HG SA DC. The funny part was that Dave asked if he could pay by check and the dealer knew who he was and kind of chuckled because he wouldn't normally take a check but he knew Dave was good for it. Both appeared to be no different than any other father/son collectors that were at the show. Its nice that Dave has the hobby to pass on to his son. Guess a lot of those books won't be going anywhere for a long time!

I believe Joe Mannarino wrote that he owned the Action #15 cover for quite some time. I don't know if he consigned it directly to Heritage or sold it beforehand.

Joe indicated the Action 15 was sold by him years ago and that the consignor to Heritage was not him.

(thumbs u

I was helping out at a booth last year and Dave Anderson and his son Adam came by and negotiated and bought a HG SA DC. The funny part was that Dave asked if he could pay by check and the dealer knew who he was and kind of chuckled because he wouldn't normally take a check but he knew Dave was good for it. Both appeared to be no different than any other father/son collectors that were at the show. Its nice that Dave has the hobby to pass on to his son. Guess a lot of those books won't be going anywhere for a long time!

I believe Joe Mannarino wrote that he owned the Action #15 cover for quite some time. I don't know if he consigned it directly to Heritage or sold it beforehand.

Joe indicated the Action 15 was sold by him years ago and that the consignor to Heritage was not him.

(thumbs u

Gotta feel bad for the rube that has that hot potato. :whistle:

(thumbs u

Gotta feel bad for the rube that has that hot potato. :whistle:

No doubt. What a sucka...

Regarding Jon Verzyl, his Comic Heaven ad in the latest Overstreet (p 281) advertises an October 2014 auction. I've "called for the catalog" but it just goes through to a full voicemail, and I've emailed with no response. I think I did the same a couple of years ago. Does anyone know if they still run annual mail auctions, or is Overstreet just updating a very old ad? Thanks

I thought his auctions were defunct, but he does appear to still be advertising them. hm

That's the feeling I got

Weird about the ads though, maybe Gemstone on auto-pilot

Thanks for answering

John is still planning his next auction. I believe the birth of his first grandchild and a telephone have been his biggest delaying factors. Particularly the telephone.

Interesting. Which DC was it?

Interesting. Which DC was it?

I don't remember. It wasn't a Showcase but I think it was an Action or Adventure.

im brain cramping, but what about the british dj I think who has every dc book. that has to be considered one of the best collections. is it Levine? or something like that?

Ian Levine. Has a complete (or near complete) set of DC books.

Who actually has the best comics collection in the world?

It is a crazy collection that Mr A has:

Church copy of Action Comics 1

Best DC27

Best Superman 1 too?

Church copies of Action comics 2-23 as well I believe.

What else does he have, and does Metro have a collection to rival it (it seems impossible...)?

Best Superman #1. Best Detective 27 (Allentown). Best Action #1. Someone said something recently about the best Batman #1 although I've never heard about that book until recently.

So, the best copy of at least three (of not four) of the top five books in the hobby. At least where he crosses over into my research, his comics are untouchable.

PURE SPECULATION FOLLOWS :)

One thing that came up in an off-board discussion a few years ago is that he was also buying SA Marvels back in the day. I've always wondered about what that portion of his collection might look like if that info was accurate (and I have no reason to doubt it.) He's clearly got a drive for quality and having the best, so he might have a couple of earth shattering gems from the 1960s to balance out the Golden Age portion of his collection.

Dave has a nicer Superman #1 than the Mile High? I was unaware of this

Best DC27

Best Superman 1 too?

What else does he have, and does Metro have a collection to rival it (it seems impossible...)?

Best Superman #1. Best Detective 27 (Allentown). Best Action #1. Someone said something recently about the best Batman #1 although I've never heard about that book until recently.

So, the best copy of at least three (of not four) of the top five books in the hobby. At least where he crosses over into my research, his comics are untouchable.

One thing that came up in an off-board discussion a few years ago is that he was also buying SA Marvels back in the day. I've always wondered about what that portion of his collection might look like if that info was accurate (and I have no reason to doubt it.) He's clearly got a drive for quality and having the best, so he might have a couple of earth shattering gems from the 1960s to balance out the Golden Age portion of his collection.

Yes, I've heard it's as nice as 9.2. He's had both books in hand with the option to buy and chose with his current copy.

Best DC27

Best Superman 1 too?

Yes, I've heard it's as nice as 9.2. He's had both books in hand with the option to buy and chose with his current copy.

Thanks Rob, but I'll believe that when I see it

Best DC27

Best Superman 1 too?

Thanks Rob, but I'll believe that when I see it

If you see it, be sure to let me know. The Church Superman #1 is the best book I've ever seen with my own eyes, so if it's topped my mind would wobble.

I've heard about the book from at least three separate sources, two of which are among the most knowledgeable guys I've ever gotten info from, so I'm as comfortable as I can be with a book that I have no record of other than anecdotes.

For what its worth I've also heard there is a Sups 1 around VF/NM. The rumor has been around long before the boards. I can't say if its true or not.

I've also heard rumors about DA having a couple Batmobiles. An older one, and one from Tim Burtons Batman. Something about trading the Flash 1 MH for one of them.

Although I may be telling the story wrong, its been a long time.

For what its worth I've also heard there is a Sups 1 around VF/NM. The rumor has been around long before the boards. I can't say if its true or not.

I've also heard rumors about DA having a couple Batmobiles. An older one, and one from Tim Burtons Batman. Something about trading the Flash 1 MH for one of them.

He definitely has a Batmobile from the Adam West show.

He definitely has a Batmobile from the Adam West show.

Batmobile #2

http://www.javelinamx.com/batmobile/batcar2.htm

im brain cramping, but what about the british dj I think who has every dc book. that has to be considered one of the best collections. is it Levine? or something like that?

Ian Levine. Has a complete (or near complete) set of DC books.

Levine is funny. Some people know him solely for the DC collection. Other people know him for Doctor Who. Others for being a big Northern Soul DJ.

If you were to see Fishler's art collection your mind would blow wide open.

John Verzyl happens to own every Mile High Timely except for 6 or 7.

His Marvel #1 is rumored to be perfect and the Cap #1 is a graded 9.8 (not a Mile High though).

The Cap #1 is the Allentown copy and once upon a time, it was a lowly 9.6.

How obsessive do you have to be to not be satisfied with a 9.6 on a Cap #1?