• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dentist, Metropolis...

276 posts in this topic

Not sure about the CGC census, but would this be the highest graded unrestored Batman 1 to this point in time? This would be rather surprising due to the apparent abundance of Bat 1's out there relative to the other key GA books. hm

If that is the 9.2 then it is the current top census. The 9.2 has a light erasure on it to the right of Batman's cape, and I couldn't quite tell from the catalog scan if that was there on that copy.

When the current 9.2 first emerged as a 9.0 in 2004, Stephen Fishler noted some surprise as to the grade: "This is the copy that was graded VF- at the 1994 Christies auction. If memory serves, it sold for $28,000"

Of course, that copy re-emerged as a 9.2 when it was sold to Anthony Chiofalo.

So, if the copy shown in the catalog is the Overstreet copy, then that doesn't quite fit with the above info, and perhaps they are not the same. hm

When the current 9.2 first emerged as a 9.0 in 2004, Stephen Fishler noted some surprise as to the grade: "This is the copy that was graded VF- at the 1994 Christies auction. If memory serves, it sold for $28,000"

Ah, yes......the days of sweet innocence when the general marketplace was not yet aware of the CPR gaming of the system.

Rather surprised that Fishler was apparently not one of the ones in the know as he had also raised questions at the time with some of the upgrades when they were first flagged on the boards here a year or so later. :o

Ah, yes......the days of sweet innocence when the general marketplace was not yet aware of the CPR gaming of the system.

Rather surprised that Fishler was apparently not one of the ones in the know as he had also raised questions at the time with some of the upgrades when they were first flagged on the boards here a year or so later. :o

The uptick in grade on that book is not necessarily due to CPR (clean, press, restore?)

In fact I think in that case it's about CGC's standards; that they don't downgrade for erasures which deface the book. There was a Detective 27 with a similar erasure mark, which got a very high grade. I remember both books because I noted the irony that the erasures seemed to be unambiguous attempts to improve the appearance of the books, by removing cover markings. But in each case the attempts failed and removed some of the printed ink. Yet if the attempts had succeeded at removing the mark without removing color inks, they would likely have been labeled restored and been worth a fraction as much.

So, IMV neither was an example of CPR but of the anomalies that occur sometimes due to colored labels.

I purchased and still have what was a centerpiece, the original cover art for "a Christmas For Shacktown" by Carl Barks the only Four Color cover art by Barks known to exist.

:o

Can someone post the catalog page with this item? :wishluck:

I purchased and still have what was a centerpiece, the original cover art for "a Christmas For Shacktown" by Carl Barks the only Four Color cover art by Barks known to exist.

:o

Can someone post the catalog page with this item? :wishluck:

It was not in the catalog.

The other catalog pages had animation, premiums, movie posters etc. I have provided scans of all of the comics/comic art pages.

Glad to hear you have it, Joe. I always inferred that Geppi owned it since I've seen it a couple of times in articles and videos related to his collection. I bought a second Barks cover, a rejected version of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 96, from Bruce Hamilton's estate and (obviously) still have that. Do you have more information about where these covers came from and the process that led to them being colored by Barks? I am a huge fan of Barks originals and also have pieces from "Trick or Treat", "Land beneath the Ground" (Uncle Scrooge 13), "Mysterious Unfinished Invention" (Uncle Scrooge 8) etc.

Glad to hear you have it, Joe. I always inferred that Geppi owned it since I've seen it a couple of times in articles and videos related to his collection. I bought a second Barks cover, a rejected version of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 96, from Bruce Hamilton's estate and (obviously) still have that. Do you have more information about where these covers came from and the process that led to them being colored by Barks? I am a huge fan of Barks originals and also have pieces from "Trick or Treat", "Land beneath the Ground" (Uncle Scrooge 13), "Mysterious Unfinished Invention" (Uncle Scrooge 8) etc.

The comic art that included the Barks cover "walked in" to a NY comic convention in the late eighties. The person who had them was a "picker" who had gone to an estate sale in New Jersey. He went down into the basement and found pinned to the walls Dell original art with child scribbles on them. He was told that the deceased owner had worked for Western Publishing in the Poukeepsie NY plant and had taken home originals over the years to give to his children as "coloring book pages". He was directed to a carton that contained some 30-50 pages that had never been given to the kids.

It was probably a Creation con. I was exhibiting along with other dealers. The person said he had brought a sampling but had additional pages at home. Having heard there was a convention that weekend, he decided to attend. He approached one dealer than a second. The two dealers convened and asked him what he would sell all the art for. They agreed on a price and the dealers agreed to split the deal evenly. I never had a direct shot at the deal but one of the dealers knew I was a Disney collector and told me about it at the show. He agreed to bring the art by after the deal was consummated.

As is often the case, the deal had some twists and turns. The Barks cover and the classic Walt Kelly cover art to C&S #45 were the two key pieces.

Cutting to the chase, the dealer eventually did a cash trade through several hands with Geppi being the end purchaser. On Barks 95th birthday, Geppi already enthralled by Barks paintings asked him to color the art for a big birthday party he had planned in his honor at Timonium. Barks resisted using oils or watercolors feeling they would bleed as well as obscure the original ink line, so he settled on oil pastel crayons.

I also own the C&S cover as well as a second C&S early cover.

Off topic but I am really saddened to have heard last night about the passing of Stan Goldberg.

A virtual encyclopedia regarding the medium since the inception of silver age Marvel, Stan was best friends with Stan Lee, Larry Lieber as well as most of the prominent artists that we are so familiar with. He was the colorist for Fantastic Four #1 as well as many key books, the penciller for Millie the Model before leaving to become, along with DeCarlo the key artists at Archie for nearly fifty years.

Anyone who knew him will tell you that his talent was only surpassed by his incredible personality and kindness. He was a great friend and will be sorely missed.

Thanks for sharing the history behind the Barks/Kelly art! :applause:

It's very sad to hear the loss of another one of the greats. :sorry: