• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dentist, Metropolis...

276 posts in this topic

I don't seem to have a scan of the Allentown Detective 29 :sorry:

Small one here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3888366

Worth a shot to try archive.org for old versions of triksr4kids.com as well.

When was that graded?

Nothing that I could see on archive.org in the way of scans (of anything)

I thought all books graded got scanned by the CGC, is that the case?

I don't know what they do for internal consumption, but to have a book scanned by CGC is an extra fee.

I didn't expect this thread to have 20 replies. I thought someone had come up with a great scan of the Allentown Detective 29 (the small one is a good start) and people were discussing that versus a Action #7 in 9.4 or 9.6 for the most valuable non-key

There has definitely been a scan of it shown somewhere Rob.

I thought it was in the same Overstreet as the Allentown Cap #1, but it wasn't.

Ask Timely - maybe he directly posted it to the boards once?

That's why I was surprised that I didn't have a scan in my little archive. I know the book had been discussed and I'd seen it. It might just have been the 3/4 picture we saw in that other thread.

I'll ask.

He could sell that MH Action #1 for $10k and he'd probably be making money.

I guess Harvard Business School no longer teaches the concept of real vs. nominal dollars.

This guy went to the HBS? Oy! doh!

Well, so he says.

I often wondered what metro did when they were under attack by hurricane sandy. that had to be pretty stressful time for them. Can you imagine with all their stuff up on the walls to check the weather channel and see a category 3 coming in!

Their office is not in the NYC flood zone for hurricanes. I live right on the edge of the safety zone and have had no issues with the last two hurricanes (knock on wood) while Metro's office is in squarely in the non-threatened area. Buildings would have to topple over before their office was threatened.

I often wondered what metro did when they were under attack by hurricane sandy. that had to be pretty stressful time for them. Can you imagine with all their stuff up on the walls to check the weather channel and see a category 3 coming in!

Their office is not in the NYC flood zone for hurricanes. I live right on the edge of the safety zone and have had no issues with the last two hurricanes (knock on wood) while Metro's office is in squarely in the non-threatened area. Buildings would have to topple over before their office was threatened.

Yes but they lost electricity for two weeks (? memory) along with everyone south of 34th Street.

Yes but they lost electricity for two weeks (? memory) along with everyone south of 34th Street.

Not everyone

dbpix-CEOs-lloyd-blankfein-happy-articleInline.jpg

It was only four days - the power went down on Tuesday night when the sub-station blew up and it was back on Saturday night for most people (ours came back that Sunday morning).

what is this subject of this god damn thread? what's the purpose of it to begin with? is metro worth more than dave? yes they are. does dave have better comics? YES.

DA has a higher quantity of high grade keys than Metro, has a higher quantity of high grade marque runs, and probably has a ton of HG comics of lesser significance that no one talks about. DA's kid sells Harvey file copies for popcorn money. That should give you an indication of the breadth that probably goes along with the depth in his collection. We have reason to believe he has HG SA books. We have reasons to believe he has fantastic OA. Given that, I think it is crazy to state so definitively that you think Metro has a higher value inventory than DA's collection.

what is this subject of this god damn thread? what's the purpose of it to begin with? is metro worth more than dave? yes they are. does dave have better comics? YES.

DA has a higher quantity of high grade keys than Metro, has a higher quantity of high grade marque runs, and probably has a ton of HG comics of lesser significance that no one talks about. DA's kid sells Harvey file copies for popcorn money. That should give you an indication of the breadth that probably goes along with the depth in his collection. We have reason to believe he has HG SA books. We have reasons to believe he has fantastic OA. Given that, I think it is crazy to state so definitively that you think Metro has a higher value inventory than DA's collection.

+1 No one has the true inventory of either, but with educated guessing and insight from those that have seen each, we can try to peice it together :)

+1 No one has the true inventory of either, but with educated guessing and insight from those that have seen each, we can try to peice it together :)

Hey folks, when was CC's first auction? Wasn't Fishler basically seeding the auction with his own stuff to get it off the ground? Last night's Mile High Jungles being an example. It would be a wonder if he has anything left.

And speaking of Mile High runs, 2-3 years ago I used to look through the site thinking, "what is Metro doing with 700 Mile Highs i.e. why is no one buying them? I bet if they were graded they'd sell like hotcakes."

So after Thrillings sold well (which weren't on the site & I think funneled by Fish to the CC auction - this is unsubstantiated) they were graded and they sold like hotcakes. How many do they have now? 20. (I got 3 or 4.) :)

So what did Fish earn selling this stuff through CC (commission-free) - maybe enough for an Action 1? :think:

I would fall squarely into the camp of "why is it our business" as well as "who cares" (unless I'm one of them.)

If Church is the finest pedigree overall and the dentist owns the best Church books.. then which would be the next best pedigrees?

For GA books, I would have to say the Tom Reilly (San Francisco) books and also the ones from the much smaller Allentown collection. :cloud9:

If Church is the finest pedigree overall and the dentist owns the best Church books.. then which would be the next best pedigrees?

For GA books, I would have to say the Tom Reilly (San Francisco) books and also the ones from the much smaller Allentown collection. :cloud9:

The Reilly keys are mostly missing as far as I know but are pretty significant (Tec 27, AA16, Flash Comics 1, More Fun 52,53, Captain America Comics #1)

The Tec 27 is an especially tantalizing "what if"

The Reilly keys are mostly missing as far as I know but are pretty significant (Tec 27, AA16, Flash Comics 1, More Fun 52,53, Captain America Comics #1)

I was told that Overstreet copy of AA16 was the Frisco. Coupon was cut out of the back.

I was told that Overstreet copy of AA16 was the Frisco. Coupon was cut out of the back.

Yeah, that's the one we know about. I've actually got a sales record for it from 1996.