• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dentist, Metropolis...

276 posts in this topic

Regarding Jon Verzyl, his Comic Heaven ad in the latest Overstreet (p 281) advertises an October 2014 auction. I've "called for the catalog" but it just goes through to a full voicemail, and I've emailed with no response. I think I did the same a couple of years ago. Does anyone know if they still run annual mail auctions, or is Overstreet just updating a very old ad? Thanks

I thought his auctions were defunct, but he does appear to still be advertising them. hm

Who actually has the best comics collection in the world?

It is a crazy collection that Mr A has:

Church copy of Action Comics 1

Best DC27

Best Superman 1 too?

Church copies of Action comics 2-23 as well I believe.

What else does he have, and does Metro have a collection to rival it (it seems impossible...)?

Best Superman #1. Best Detective 27 (Allentown). Best Action #1. Someone said something recently about the best Batman #1 although I've never heard about that book until recently.

So, the best copy of at least three (of not four) of the top five books in the hobby. At least where he crosses over into my research, his comics are untouchable.

PURE SPECULATION FOLLOWS :)

One thing that came up in an off-board discussion a few years ago is that he was also buying SA Marvels back in the day. I've always wondered about what that portion of his collection might look like if that info was accurate (and I have no reason to doubt it.) He's clearly got a drive for quality and having the best, so he might have a couple of earth shattering gems from the 1960s to balance out the Golden Age portion of his collection.

Hasn't he also been advertising for years in the OSPG that he buys Superman and Batman related toys? I imagine that part of his collection must also be something to behold.

Does a Batmobile from the 1960s show count as a toy?

(I can't believe I forgot about that.)

Who actually has the best comics collection in the world?

It is a crazy collection that Mr A has:

Church copy of Action Comics 1

Best DC27

Best Superman 1 too?

Church copies of Action comics 2-23 as well I believe.

What else does he have, and does Metro have a collection to rival it (it seems impossible...)?

Best Superman #1. Best Detective 27 (Allentown). Best Action #1. Someone said something recently about the best Batman #1 although I've never heard about that book until recently.

So, the best copy of at least three (of not four) of the top five books in the hobby. At least where he crosses over into my research, his comics are untouchable.

PURE SPECULATION FOLLOWS :)

One thing that came up in an off-board discussion a few years ago is that he was also buying SA Marvels back in the day. I've always wondered about what that portion of his collection might look like if that info was accurate (and I have no reason to doubt it.) He's clearly got a drive for quality and having the best, so he might have a couple of earth shattering gems from the 1960s to balance out the Golden Age portion of his collection.

Hasn't he also been advertising for years in the OSPG that he buys Superman and Batman related toys? I imagine that part of his collection must also be something to behold.

I guess he has the dreaded '66 Ideal Batbelt MIB? The Mile High of all toys.

149560.jpg.43aadf8e74eecd39f278f9c607af07ba.jpg

He sold a relatively significant piece of SA OA a few years back, didn't he...? Hawkman #1 cover maybe...? Could be wrong about that.

He has sold some KILLER early-SA fanzines in recent years. None of that is particularly big-$$ stuff, but some of it is extremely tough, and is generally indicative of someone who has pretty in-depth collecting interests.

Regarding Jon Verzyl, his Comic Heaven ad in the latest Overstreet (p 281) advertises an October 2014 auction. I've "called for the catalog" but it just goes through to a full voicemail, and I've emailed with no response. I think I did the same a couple of years ago. Does anyone know if they still run annual mail auctions, or is Overstreet just updating a very old ad? Thanks

I thought his auctions were defunct, but he does appear to still be advertising them. hm

That's the feeling I got

Weird about the ads though, maybe Gemstone on auto-pilot

Thanks for answering

i've got the best collection on my block.

That made me think...

I may have the best collection in my country :o

I certainly do :banana:

Someone should make a record of who owns the best collection per country. If it isn't me here then I would be interested to see what whoever it is has :)

He sold a relatively significant piece of SA OA a few years back, didn't he...? Hawkman #1 cover maybe...? Could be wrong about that.

The rumor is that he was the consignor on the Action 15 cover.

DA also sold the Capt. Marvel No. 2 cover through Heritage back in the day. So I think its safe to assume he's had a fair bit of quality OA.

I'd love to own a nice CC Beck, CM OA piece. :cloud9:

He definitely has that as well as the Ideal JLA/Batman playset.

I sold him the original paintings for a few of the Aurora Batman vehicles a few years ago (Batboat, Batcycle, etc)

I think the general perception I'm getting from all of this is that often the most 'powerful' collectors also happen to be powerful dealers.

Whether it's Fishler or Halperin or Anderson or Verzyl (there are others) they are generally quite adept at dealing.

If you were to see Fishler's art collection your mind would blow wide open.

John Verzyl happens to own every Mile High Timely except for 6 or 7.

His Marvel #1 is rumored to be perfect and the Cap #1 is a graded 9.8 (not a Mile High though).

And don't forget the random other Church copies he's got laying around. No big deal.

aa16_book_lg.jpg

I remember John flying that one in personally to CGC and hanging in the waiting room for the results lol. There was a photo posted with the book in slab, John, and Borock.

Yes, and how is it possible for the CGC graders not to know who the submittor of that and other big name books are when they are standing right in their lobby? lol

If you were to see Fishler's art collection your mind would blow wide open.

John Verzyl happens to own every Mile High Timely except for 6 or 7.

His Marvel #1 is rumored to be perfect and the Cap #1 is a graded 9.8 (not a Mile High though).

And don't forget the random other Church copies he's got laying around. No big deal.

aa16_book_lg.jpg

I remember John flying that one in personally to CGC and hanging in the waiting room for the results lol. There was a photo posted with the book in slab, John, and Borock.

Yes, and how is it possible for the CGC graders not to know who the submittor of that and other big name books are when they are standing right in their lobby? lol

I guess books must be 6-7 figures for you to walk it in, literally lol

When you own a high profile book like this, it's darn near impossible to remain anonymous.

When you own a high profile book like this, it's darn near impossible to remain anonymous.

here's the article and pic

http://www.collectors-society.com/news/ViewArticle.aspx?IDArticle=990

The rumor is that he was the consignor on the Action 15 cover.

That's fascinating.

That is... well, you know, much of this is well into none-of-my-business territory, but given his obviously expansive interests and reputed wealth, you can't help but wonder why he'd part with something like that (though good for other collectors, obviously!).

I mean, short of finding out that he's secretly got an Action 7 cover socked away or the like, not like he's going to get too many shots at more important Supes covers than that.

For what it's worth... his son Adam sells on eBay as Blissard IIRC...... and the books are very tightly graded...... VG/F's are pretty. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Good to know. I have had him on my watched sellers list for a while now.

I was helping out at a booth last year and Dave Anderson and his son Adam came by and negotiated and bought a HG SA DC. The funny part was that Dave asked if he could pay by check and the dealer knew who he was and kind of chuckled because he wouldn't normally take a check but he knew Dave was good for it. Both appeared to be no different than any other father/son collectors that were at the show. Its nice that Dave has the hobby to pass on to his son. Guess a lot of those books won't be going anywhere for a long time!

I believe Joe Mannarino wrote that he owned the Action #15 cover for quite some time. I don't know if he consigned it directly to Heritage or sold it beforehand.

I was helping out at a booth last year and Dave Anderson and his son Adam came by and negotiated and bought a HG SA DC. The funny part was that Dave asked if he could pay by check and the dealer knew who he was and kind of chuckled because he wouldn't normally take a check but he knew Dave was good for it. Both appeared to be no different than any other father/son collectors that were at the show. Its nice that Dave has the hobby to pass on to his son. Guess a lot of those books won't be going anywhere for a long time!

I believe Joe Mannarino wrote that he owned the Action #15 cover for quite some time. I don't know if he consigned it directly to Heritage or sold it beforehand.

Joe indicated the Action 15 was sold by him years ago and that the consignor to Heritage was not him.