• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN THE KILLING JOKE
2 2

191 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2021 at 1:30 AM, jdandns said:

The sticker is very similar in design to the one on my newsstand edition of Sandman #12, which I'm pretty sure I got from a Walden Books at a mall.

I had earlier issues from the Sandman series, which I traded way back then, but I remember the UPC stickers on those being thinner.

sandman12upc.jpg

I will 2nd the UPC sticker being from a Waldenbooks.  When I was a wee lad I would get comics at the Waldenbooks at the local mall, and many of them were slapped with a UPC sticker.  

On 5/12/2022 at 6:25 AM, Stronguy said:

Yeah, I have been watching that one.  I'm not going to pull the trigger at the current asking price.

Made an offer, he countered, I accepted.  I checked the cert number and it was graded in February.  Well after they became aware of the BOMC edition, so, I think it is the 4th edition without the price and warning on it.  Now to decide whether to crack it out and check it or not.

On 5/14/2022 at 3:16 PM, aszumilo said:

Made an offer, he countered, I accepted.  I checked the cert number and it was graded in February.  Well after they became aware of the BOMC edition, so, I think it is the 4th edition without the price and warning on it.  Now to decide whether to crack it out and check it or not.

I think you're putting way to much faith in CGC's QC department.  I have had them screw up labeling many, many books even with it properly noted on the submission form and post-its on the books.  If it wasn't noted (or even noticed) by the original submitter, there's little chance that CGC picked up on it.  It's like they're running a puppy mill in the grading room right now.  That being said, I want to know what you find out. (thumbsu

On 5/17/2022 at 7:26 AM, Stronguy said:

I think you're putting way to much faith in CGC's QC department.  I have had them screw up labeling many, many books even with it properly noted on the submission form and post-its on the books.  If it wasn't noted (or even noticed) by the original submitter, there's little chance that CGC picked up on it.  It's like they're running a puppy mill in the grading room right now.  That being said, I want to know what you find out. (thumbsu

I could be putting too much faith in them, but, hoping that they didn't screw up on the label and it is a new variant.  Was told it could possibly be a Canadian version of the BOMC and due to Canadian import/labeling laws maybe they couldn't use it.  Who knows?  Worst case scenario it is a BOMC edition it would give me 2 of them in 9.6 and if I crack to check and resubmit, maybe get a 9.8 out of it.  Currently there are only 3 BOMC graded editions, 2 at 9.6 and 1 at 9.4.  Worth a shot to upgrade my set as I try to reclaim the #1 spot. 

Got the book today.  Looks real nice, but, I think I see why it is a 9.6.  Probably wouldn't get a bump.  Case is scuffed up a bit on the back, so, I will probably crack it out to check the inside cover and see which 4th print version it is.  Hoping it is not the actual BOMC, but, hoping it is the non BOMC, no price, no mature reader warning version. 

On 5/18/2022 at 11:04 PM, aszumilo said:

Got the book today.  Looks real nice, but, I think I see why it is a 9.6.  Probably wouldn't get a bump.  Case is scuffed up a bit on the back, so, I will probably crack it out to check the inside cover and see which 4th print version it is.  Hoping it is not the actual BOMC, but, hoping it is the non BOMC, no price, no mature reader warning version. 

:wishluck:

On 3/27/2023 at 7:26 PM, JGeezy87 said:

Did someone say Killing Joke. These are all foreign editions minus some rando US & foreign homage covers & the Mile High freebie. Couldn't fit all the US editions in the picture 🤣 US & Foreign editions total up to over 100 unique printings. I currently have in the 60ish range. Slowly clawing my way to having them all. 

One day I'll overthrow whoever is king of the registry set for this book ❤️❤️

Screenshot_20230327_202249_Instagram.jpg

Is there a story on the Ms Marvel near the bottom on the right?

On 3/27/2023 at 5:26 PM, JGeezy87 said:

Did someone say Killing Joke. These are all foreign editions minus some rando US & foreign homage covers & the Mile High freebie. Couldn't fit all the US editions in the picture 🤣 US & Foreign editions total up to over 100 unique printings. I currently have in the 60ish range. Slowly clawing my way to having them all. 

One day I'll overthrow whoever is king of the registry set for this book ❤️❤️

Screenshot_20230327_202249_Instagram.jpg

You'll need a 10.0 or 9.9 1st print to have a chance of taking the top spot.  I am currently in 2nd place, even though I have the most complete registry set.  I would also say there is closer to 200 different cover, US and Foreign, as there is a ton of Spanish and Mexican versions.  A lot of countries have multiple versions as well.

If you could send me a list of all the countries you have, I would appreciate the help.

Edited by aszumilo

On 3/28/2023 at 5:19 PM, valiantman said:

On 3/27/2023 at 8:26 PM, JGeezy87 said:

These are all foreign editions minus some rando US & foreign homage covers

As there are two people here that collect the foreign editions, it's worthy mention that the second Brazilian edition came with a postcard inside it  :)

The book included with the action figures IS the 14th printing.  CGC listed it as Direct Edition OR as the 14th printing (depending on who graded it, I guess).  I finally got them straightened out and now they only list the 14th print for the registry. 

As far as the 11th printing goes, there is a Direct Sales edition (UPC 7 61941 20212 00121).  If you look at the UPC code, the last digit corresponds to the 11th print.  There is also a Newsstand edition (UPC 9 780930 289454 50495).  The last 3 digits of the UPC code corresponds to the price of the book.  495 = $4.95 cover price.

The 6th Print Newsstand will have a UPC Code on the front cover.  The Direct Sales edition has no UPC code at all.

There is also a Book of the Month club 4th Printing.  Inside the front cover you will see BOMC and the back cover has no price or mature reader warning on it.  So, you might want to be on the look out for that one.

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to me.

If you really want to go down the Killing Joke rabbit hole, try the foreign editions.  Here are a few of the ones I have.  There are quite a few more out there I am trying to track down.

KJForeignUpdated2.thumb.jpg.48a1d38d0dea7ed69cca2922351a01b6.jpg

Hungary and Sweden for the win!

Edited by Kromak

On 3/29/2023 at 7:09 AM, Kromak said:

As there are two people here that collect the foreign editions, it's worthy mention that the second Brazilian edition came with a postcard inside it  :)

Do you have a copy or able to get a hold of one of those Brazillian 2nd editions?

On 3/28/2023 at 5:19 PM, valiantman said:

It was a Japan only cover that was done by Shigeto Koyama. Contains a few issues of Ms Marvel inside. It's a Killing Joke homage so I had to grab it 

Edited by JGeezy87

On 3/28/2023 at 7:18 PM, aszumilo said:

You'll need a 10.0 or 9.9 1st print to have a chance of taking the top spot.  I am currently in 2nd place, even though I have the most complete registry set.  I would also say there is closer to 200 different cover, US and Foreign, as there is a ton of Spanish and Mexican versions.  A lot of countries have multiple versions as well.

If you could send me a list of all the countries you have, I would appreciate the help.

How many in your registry set? Once I finally submit all the ones I can it'll be around 50. I only count the actual Killing Joke cover with the camera. I don't count any of the other covers they've used. So closer to 100 for me. Yes, every country has multiple. I have multiples from Mexico, Spain. Japan, Turkey, Nordic countries etc etc. Sorry been 4 years of researching what countries have what. Not really up to just letting that info out there

On 3/29/2023 at 10:09 AM, Kromak said:

I have the postcard. Super neat. Also forgot to include this one in the picture just because its a massive newspaper 🤣

20230401_135532.jpg

Edited by JGeezy87

On 4/1/2023 at 10:48 AM, JGeezy87 said:

How many in your registry set? Once I finally submit all the ones I can it'll be around 50. I only count the actual Killing Joke cover with the camera. I don't count any of the other covers they've used. So closer to 100 for me. Yes, every country has multiple. I have multiples from Mexico, Spain. Japan, Turkey, Nordic countries etc etc. Sorry been 4 years of researching what countries have what. Not really up to just letting that info out there

Currently I have 25 in my registry set.  I have quite a few more ungraded, but, I don't think they have a shot at anything higher than an 8.5/9.0. 

I have 3 Newsstand editions (6th, 11th, 13th), but, CGC doesn't recognize them as Newsstands.  Waiting for the next Comic Con so I can bring my copies down and talk to them about recognizing them.

On 4/1/2023 at 10:48 AM, JGeezy87 said:

These are the foreign ones I have:

Graded
Argentina - 9.8
Germany (Detective Comics #1) - 9.6
Italy - 9.0
Mexico (Harley Quinn cover) - 9.8
Spain (ECC Ediciones) - 9.0 (mini comic packaged with Spanish DVD of The Killing Joke)
Sweden - 9.4
UK 1st (green) - 7.5
UK 3rd (orange) - 7.5
UK 4th (yellow) - 9.6

Ungraded
Brazil (green)
Germany (Panini - 2008) (white Logo)
Gernamy (Panini) (green logo)
Germany (Carlsen) (yellow/white logo)
Hungary (Got a COA from the Brian Bolland Collection)
Italy (orange)
Italy (green)
Mexico
Norway
Peru
Portugal
Turkey
UK 2nd (pink)

I know of these other foreign versions:

Denmark (Lion RW Edizioni)
Finland (Semic)
France (4 different versions)
Japan (Shogakukan Shueisha production)
Netherlands (Junior Press) (pink)
Poland
Serbia (Phoenix Press)
Serbia (Mentor)

I am sure there are other countries, but, I have yet to see an actual cover for any other countries yet.

Edited by aszumilo