• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Biggest Purchase Yet

9 posts in this topic

There were only a handful of highest grade issues available and I let one slip through my fingers so I was determined to try and avoid it happening again. World Wide Comics had two highest grades but the combined price, for me, was very high although reasonable given the quality of the two comics. This is part of my quality over quantity goal. I hadn't purchased anything since May so I had a nice amount of money to spend but this still put me well in the red and there I will stay until the end of the year. My current plan is to make my next purchase the beginning of summer 2015 so there is going to be a long wait.

I picked up Captain Marvel Adventures #32 CGC graded 9.4 and #40 CGC graded 9.2. This gets my total percentage in the set up to 30% and I finally feel like my set has officially arrived. I have 26 highest grade issues and 14 that stand alone. These numbers are so much higher than the current registry point leader it's ridiculous. I still don't think I can win Golden Age set of the year or Presentation of the Year but I think my set is ready to get some consideration. My next scheduled purchase would actually be the most I've ever paid for a single issue and these rarified airs can sometimes take my breath away. I worry more now about my package arriving safe and sound.

I've been hearing more buzz about a Captain Marvel movie in 2016 with Dwayne Johnson reportedly confirming his casting as Black Adam. This movie won't be based in the same universe as the Man of Steel universe and will be a bit more light hearted which is probably a smart move. If it becomes a popular franchise my collection may jump in price but it could also price me out of the market going forward. On the other hand the movie may never happen. We shall see.

15910.jpg

See more journals by David Swan

David, great looking book...NM with OW/WT pages from 1944. Dude, when I get a NM book from 1964 I'm impressed so this is just crazy to me. You paid more than I have ever paid on a book, but you got an OAK there my friend.

I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about the pedigree. Do you know anything about this one? Do you have others? I like to hear those back stories about where the books came from...love the few pedigrees I have.

I'm gonna miss reading about your new acquisitions, but I applaud you for sticking to what you can afford. Nice job. You'll have to still write journals though and tell us what new things you've discovered while collecting.

Most of my Captain Marvel Adventure comics are pedigree comics with all but two being Crowley copies. In fact both of my new comics are pedigree comics.

When I started this adventure I never expected to spend this much on a collection but it has become a labor of love. Issue 32 was a lot but given that my previous purchase was May and my next could be June of next year it's just two comics over the course of 13 months so it's only a little over $100 per month.

Beautiful pedigree. It is amazing how a 70 year old comic can achieve such a high grade.

Your set is blooming... Although it may be some time before you make an addition, I'm looking forward to seeing what CMA goodie you'll add next.

SW3D

Nice job David! Your passion and discipline are inspiring. Quality over quantity is the way to go. You mentioned paying some high prices, in this collecting journey, I have found the I never looked back on the prices of the really special pieces I paid a lot for, but some of the $50+ books I have that I got after a bidding war or for books that were impulse buys sting the most.

I love pedigrees and you have a beautiful Pennsylvania copy. Congratulations!

A Marvel indeed! Great book David. Were you able to get Stephen to drop the price a little? I went to his house once when he was operating out of it for a short time. (Late 2011 / early 2012) I bought two books only because I had just lost my job and he discounted both. It looked like comic heaven in his basement that day. I'll write a journal on the trip someday. He's a great guy to let me come over to save shipping plus the discount. I have a comic budget myself and it does take a while to recover from the big purchases. Again David , Super Book!