• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art.. what is the difference?

82 posts in this topic

I did read somewhere that in the 30's and 40's Disney and Fleischer studios loaded up their dumpsters with the things though.

Yup Oak-I think the background would be too much work to forge. All the ones I threw up had no real b/g

Do you think the pic of Stan signing that very cel is proof enough for authentication?

edit:

it doesnt hurt

And I might add,it's the original backround too!

You can see the cel paint? That's awesome

It's actually two different cels.One is the backround the other Spidey.

Now you have something. Of course I'm not an expert but I play one on TV

I did read somewhere that in the 30's and 40's Disney and Fleischer studios loaded up their dumpsters with the things though.

Cels weren't really thrown away. The material to make them was too costly -- especially during the war -- so they would clean them and re-use them.

And I might add,it's the original backround too!

You can see the cel paint? That's awesome

It's actually two different cels.One is the backround the other Spidey.

Now you have something. Of course I'm not an expert but I play one on TV

I don't know squat about cels,and very little about OA.I buy what I like,and get a few commissions from my favorite artists.That is all. (shrug)

Damn comic books cost too much as it is,don't think I'll be venturing into OA relm any time soon.

Of course if someone offered Stan a forged cel to sign he'd do so immediately

Kav, you keep using the word "forged" for these cels that sell for a few bucks on eBay (like the Spidey/Romita one), but I'm not sure it actually applies here. hm

As far as I understand, those cels are not "forged" in any sense of the word, but actual reproductions, made through official channels. It's like Marvel (or a licensed partner) using the original art of a comic book cover and making art prints or poster of it to sell to the public.

Nothing forged about that. It's just a reproduction. (shrug)

If I'm wrong, or have misunderstood anything about the whole process, then someone who knows more about the stuff than me (or Kav :grin: ) please correct me.

I've heard stories of Warner Brothers handing out cells to kids who used to hang around the studio. No idea it that's true or just legend

I've heard stories of Warner Brothers handing out cells to kids who used to hang around the studio. No idea it that's true or just legend

We have a couple of pieces from Lady and the Tramp.

8 to 24 cels are used to make one second of animation. One original background painting is used for each change of scene.

Original Production Drawing = a drawing used to create a cel

Original Production Cel = one used to make the cartoon, usually sold on a lithographed background. Sometimes the lines are lithographed, sometimes they're hand-painted. The cel is then flipped over and the colors painted on the reverse side.

Original Production Background = usually airbrushed and when sold with an ideal OPC (read - great pose/composition of characters) it's usually called a "Master Set-Up"

Limited Edition Cel = hand-painted in a small edition size, usually 500 or less...produced from an original drawing by someone (Chuck Jones, Bruce Timm, etc)

SeriCel (Seriagraphed Cel) = a larger limited edition size, usually 1000-5000 and not hand-crafted

I worked as a Gallery Manager at the Albany, NY Warner Brothers Studio Store for over 5 years back in the early 1990s.

Peace,

Chip