• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Defining Atomic Age Cover?

64 posts in this topic

Have seen no prior documentation on this comic. Have seen just two copies of this, each a slightly different size.

Brien McMahon was the chairman of the Senate special committee on atomic energy in 1945. He sponsored the bill that became the Atomic Energy Act. After an atomic bomb was detonated at Alamogordo, New Mexico in July 1945, Senator McMahon called it "the most important thing in history since the birth of Jesus Christ."

Signed Kotzky and Fox, presumably Alex Kotzky and Victor Fox?

149993.jpg.dff3c4ec1c398544b1e57c82d2da9389.jpg

Have seen no prior documentation on this comic. Have seen just two copies of this, each a slightly different size.

Brien McMahon was the chairman of the Senate special committee on atomic energy in 1945. He sponsored the bill that became the Atomic Energy Act. After an atomic bomb was detonated at Alamogordo, New Mexico in July 1945, Senator McMahon called it "the most important thing in history since the birth of Jesus Christ."

That has to be the most obscure A-bomb cover out there.

Yep, Atomic War and World War III get my vote........ both classic covers too.

Definitely those two.

Yup. Both were very high on my to get list. Glad I have them :)

Ditto. Always liked those books.

Better cover on the Atomic War but hard to beat the interior of WWIII.

WWIIISplash.jpg

Very nice! Never peeked on the inside of that book before! (thumbs u

Wow! Thanks for showing this.

I love looking at all these amazing books. I am very interested in all things atomic age. The history and mindset of that age fascinate me.

I am just beginning a journey to start collecting these type of comics. This thread is giving me a lot of ideas on some books to look for. Thanks for the education.

Where's the one with the kid, a dog and a A-bomb going off in the distance? I can't recall the title of the book.... hm

Here ya go:

PictureParade%231Med.jpg

Here's the OA, an alternate unused cover, and a color proof for the unused cover.

Wow! Are those yours?

Where's the one with the kid, a dog and a A-bomb going off in the distance? I can't recall the title of the book.... hm

Here ya go:

PictureParade%231Med.jpg

Here's the OA, an alternate unused cover, and a color proof for the unused cover.

This is awesome and has tremendous historical value - belongs in the Smithsonian.

That has to be the most obscure A-bomb cover out there.

:headbang:

Here ya go:

PictureParade%231Med.jpg

Wow! Are those yours?

Here ya go:

PictureParade%231Med.jpg

Wow! Are those yours?

wow that is incredible! Having the cover OA to this not only rare book, but it's rejected cover is killer brother!

Thanks fro posting this. It really helps me cement my previous notions that the cover was altered. I always though the boy had an eerie calm on his face and that there was a previous version of where he was sad, scared or terrified that was changed and this cut out sort of cements this idea.

This book is cool read for those that are lucky enough to find one.

:cloud9:

Parade of Pleasure or Picture Parade IIRC.

Sorry, don't have a scan. I'm sure one will come along shortly...

Found it

Here ya go:

PictureParade%231Med.jpg

I love everything about this! I realize this is probably very tough to find, but any idea as to current asking prices for the book?

This will break some of your hearts.

I know the fellow who owns the printers plates for that Picture Parade cover.

All four plates, and the r@t b@st@rd beat me to it by about 10 minutes, lol

(I DID get a set of plates from another issue)

Parade of Pleasure or Picture Parade IIRC.

Sorry, don't have a scan. I'm sure one will come along shortly...

Found it

Here ya go:

PictureParade%231Med.jpg

I love everything about this! I realize this is probably very tough to find, but any idea as to current asking prices for the book?

Appropriate title for this book should be "A Boy, his dog, and the Bomb."