• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the rarest book you own want or know of

457 posts in this topic

Horrific Romance only a few hundred were printed. Never seen one on ebay. I ordered a copy from an Indy mag in the late 80's if I remember correct. Dialogue has such gems as 'EEEk!! Keep away from me you ghastly mother-f-!'

adult image

Horrific+Romance.jpg

This is a neat little U.K. underground. I've got a copy or two.

In the mid 60's Don Donahue printed a tabloid paper called Momma Daddie (art by Robert Ronnie Branaman), the printer noticed the drawings of nude women after he printed it and wouldn't let the publisher pick them up and had them pulped or burned. As Donahue was leaving the place he snagged a few copies from the pile. Think there is only 5 copies known to exist.

Only seen 1 copy of Bode's Das Kampf (1st print) ever for sale, it's the loose page version more like a portfolio.

your eyes are mesmerizing me Jimmers

One time I stared too long and was found 5 hours later staring with my mouth open

Here's one, up until recently this was thought it may have never been printed. Now this is the only known copy in existence. The 2nd issue of...

mm26.jpg

This was posted by forum member jtlarsen regarding this issue:

"So, some of you were discussing the recent "sale" of the supposedly "lost" issue of Marvelman, Marvelman #26.

As some of you may know, Marvel tried and failed to find it when they reprinted early Marvelman issues--even though they had the help of Derek Wilson, a UK collector who has every issue of Marvelman...except 26.

In fact, the existence of Marvelman 26 had long been debated. Some wondered whether it was ever even printed--though there had been reports of sightings in the distant past.

Then, a little over a week ago, I saw it on ebay. Marvelman 26 auction

I instantly emailed the seller offering a now-laughable $50 for it (even though the listing said he wouldn't ship to the U.S.).

The seller accepted my offer, but said it would cost an additional $16 and change for shipping to the U.S.

I wrote back right away and said no problem, just send me an invoice.

Hours went by. Finally, he wrote back again and said that he had received another offer of 200 pounds and so he had decided not to sell it to me after all, as he had agreed to. He would let the auction run its course.

Now, in the past, I've bid a lot (for me) for issues of Marvelman that I thought were important. I paid more than $500 for Marvelman 25, his first issue. I paid more than $500 for the original art to the cover of Marvelman 114. I've never paid more than $600 for anything, not because I wouldn't, but because I'm not rich so I try to focus my purchases on things that (a) I can afford and (b) have a lot of upward potential..

My prior Marvelman purchases had been several years ago and given that someone else had upped the ante on 26 so early, I suspected this book might go for more than I had ever paid before. So I discussed it with my wife and we figured out a way to use our credit cards to finance a bid in the thousands.

I told myself it was an unbelievably rare book. Plus, I'd get a kick out of lending it to Marvel so they could finally reprint it. It would enhance my Marvelman collection in toto. Et cetera.

So I bid way too much money for it. And to my delight/horror...I won! My wife stood by my exorbitant purchase. A friend reassured me it would be a good investment in the long term. I told myself I could always turn around and sell it to the next-highest bidder if I really had cold feet.

Then, later that day, the seller emailed to say that he needed to wait until Monday to find insurance for shipping to the U.S. that would cost less than 150 pounds. I responded that that was fine with me, since I certainly didn't want to add another 150 pounds on to the purchase price!

And then, Monday morning, I awoke to an email from the seller saying he was canceling the sale. Why? Because I live in the U.S. and the U.S. wasn't listed as one of the places he ships to in the original auction.

And you know what? I was relieved.

For one thing, only one other bidder had come remotely near the final price. So I had to question its real investment value. But also because it had occurred to me that over the years, everything that made Marvelman 26 special is going to fade away now that it's known to exist and it's been found. There's only one known copy of it? Well, that's true of many issues. Hell, there's only two confirmed copies of Marvelman 25. And the difference between 25 and 26 is that as soon as another copy of 26 comes to light...it loses the one thing that made it special. 25 never will. (Will another copy come to light? Well, aside from the fact I have no idea whether this seller has other copies, the fact that ONE came to light does tend to suggest there might still be others out there...the British comics market is still quite behind the U.S. in terms of public awareness, etc., so it strikes me as quite possible there are still any number of post-WWII keepsake collections that grandpa's kids haven't sorted through yet. I don't mind waiting!)

So, ambivalent as I was about the whole experience, the bottom line was I was okay with it. So, just now, I responded to the official ebay cancellation request by agreeing to it.

And if you're wondering whether this is just sour grapes on my part, I suppose that may be part of it. I definitely wasn't thrilled about the prospect of sending that much money to someone who had behaved in this manner over the course of our dealings. But another thing to keep in mind?

I didn't have to accept the cancellation. In fact, I had two options. I could have shown ebay the emails in which he agreed to ship to me. I also could have utilized the option ebay gave me of simply switching my shipping address--my wife has a cousin in Scotland and I could have used hers.

But I didn't. I think as an investment it would have been okay. But probably just okay. And I think there are probably still Marvelman and other rarities out there to be had for a lot less and therefore with much more potential for growth. Am I bummed that I don't own the legendary-at-least-for-now lost issue of Marvelman?

Yeah. But I'll get over it.

Kimota!"

Read more here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136928-Perhaps-The-Only-Copy-Left-Of-Marvelman-26-Sell-On-Ebay-For-4-000

"...Which brings us back to Marvelman #26. For some reason, of all the issues printed during the L. Miller & Son years, this one is the most rare. So rare, in fact, that in 2010, Marvel's Tom Brevoort was unable to locate a copy for inclusion in Marvel's anthology book Marvelman Classic - Volume 1. When the collection was published in August of that year, it contained only issue 25, and issues 27-34. Think about that for a moment. Tom Brevoort is Marvel's Executive Editor and Senior Vice President of Publishing. And he wasn't able to locate a copy of a comic the company he works for now owns. Hell, even Britain's biggest collector of Marvelman couldn't find it. It goes without saying then that an issue in good condition would be worth... a lot of money.

To make it clear, as Bleeding Cool notes, the issue sold on Saturday might be the only remaining copy of Marvelman #26 in existence."

Elflord

th_scan0023-6.jpgth_scan0021-6.jpgth_scan0019-6.jpgth_scan0017-7.jpg

That series is so tough even Al Stoltz gave up on finding a complete set - it's insanely impressive you actually have 4 different issues (worship)

there are several other of the cover images uploaded here and it shows that there were a total of 14 issues made from 1980-1982.

I believe another resource said 15 but didn't have pictures.

That's the special 'Ski Pole' issue of Superman. Only one was printed, and it was given to pope JohnPaulJones XIV and printed on money paper. Signed by Stan Lee natch.