• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Apple Show - NYC - Jan 22 & 23

139 posts in this topic

Philly is already blanketed in about six inches of snow, and it just keeps comin' on down! I was thinking about trying to go to this show, but the weather reports made it a definite no-way. Glad to see so many of you guys made it, and had a good time to boot!

697706-CGCForumLunch.jpg

Sounded like fun was had by all... sorry to hear the snow kinda put the kibosh on the attendence at the show.

And not one of you got BBQ sauce on your comics, or shirts..? VERY impressive.

Wish I coulda gone , NYand comics.. cloud9.gif I guess I will have to wait and see everyone who is to going attend the Chicago Con this august.

BK.. you better still come .. or are you still planning on skipping Chicago?

Ze-

Just got back about a30 minutes ago after an adventurous but not life-threatening drive on Route 4, 17 and the NYS Thruway. The snow is definitely piling up, but it was driveable. Just took me 3.5 hours to go 112 miles due to slow plow action in NJ on 17.

But it was worth it. Had a great time. Good to see the posse. Burnt was passing around several dozen eye-blasting early 60's DCs, including Green Lanterns, Flash, and Mystery in Space. Gorgeous.

Attendence at the con was lighter than usual. Introduced myself to the lovely Gemma. Did some trading with Blazing and Harley Yee and ended up adding five new examples of the Green River Collection, the Rodney Dangerfield of Silver Age Pedigrees. These included a Thor 135 9.4, and a sweet looking copy of Daredevil 10, plus several more Sgt. Furys. Will post scans in a couple of days. Right now I'm takin' a hot shower, watching season one of Dallas with the wife, and getting ready for football tomorrow amidst the blizzard.

Great meeting Bleeker Bob and good to talk a little more with Stynxno, Dmac and Heartened who I didn't get to really talk to at the National dinner. Good cheer all around.

Apparently Infantino and Simon were no shows (don't blame them with the weather). Stopped at Bob's, Harley's, Vincent's, Ted's and TVComics tables. Thanks to Foolkiller for moral support as I did some of my first trades at a con. THe CGC booth did seem busy taking submissions.

More later.

Good to meet everyone today, thanks for letting me join the lunch. None of the dealers had any of the books on my want list so I reffrained from buying for the sake of buying. Most of the dealers had raw stuff and since I'm a newbie grader I figured I better staw away.

Good to meet everyone today, thanks for letting me join the lunch. None of the dealers had any of the books on my want list so I reffrained from buying for the sake of buying. Most of the dealers had raw stuff and since I'm a newbie grader I figured I better staw away.

BleekerBob,

It was nice meeting you and all the other guys I hadn't met. Good move on the buying of raw books without being good at grading. Make sure you take one of us with you, at least early on. It's important to learn, though..... you know, if this CGC thing crashes or something.

Just got back about a30 minutes ago after an adventurous but not life-threatening drive on Route 4, 17 and the NYS Thruway. The snow is definitely piling up, but it was driveable. Just took me 3.5 hours to go 112 miles due to slow plow action in NJ on 17.

But it was worth it. Had a great time. Good to see the posse. Burnt was passing around several dozen eye-blasting early 60's DCs, including Green Lanterns, Flash, and Mystery in Space. Gorgeous.

Attendence at the con was lighter than usual. Introduced myself to the lovely Gemma. Did some trading with Blazing and Harley Yee and ended up adding five new examples of the Green River Collection, the Rodney Dangerfield of Silver Age Pedigrees. These included a Thor 135 9.4, and a sweet looking copy of Daredevil 10, plus several more Sgt. Furys. Will post scans in a couple of days. Right now I'm takin' a hot shower, watching season one of Dallas with the wife, and getting ready for football tomorrow amidst the blizzard.

Great meeting Bleeker Bob and good to talk a little more with Stynxno, Dmac and Heartened who I didn't get to really talk to at the National dinner. Good cheer all around.

Apparently Infantino and Simon were no shows (don't blame them with the weather). Stopped at Bob's, Harley's, Vincent's, Ted's and TVComics tables. Thanks to Foolkiller for moral support as I did some of my first trades at a con. THe CGC booth did seem busy taking submissions.

More later.

i caught the 3:11 train out of Penn Station and got home about 5 minutes to 6:00.

had a "mechanical" problem at the east orange station for a slight delay. the drive from the Dover train station to Independence was quite the experience, but fortunately they weren't too many cars out on the road to run into.

it was great fun getting to see some familiar faces (Redhook, Dam60, DMAC, Foolkiller, Heartened) and to meet Bleecker Bob, Gene D & Stynxo. also chatted with the Blazing one and TVComics at the show.

got a very nice pencil commission for CGCMint at the show and when my computer finally recognizes my scanner again later, i'll post a picture of it. i brought my Flash 123 for Infantino to sign but he was one of the no-shows.

when we went back after lunch i dropped off my 30 1962-1964 DC's with Gemma and Scott T. for the trip back to Sarasota. i LIKE the con submission - very simple. the boys at lunch seemed to feel that the books were certainly slab-worthy and some thought i might get my first 9.6 ever - we'll see.

here are a few shots of the blizzard of 2005 from Independence NJ this AM.

the first is Samson (all 7 months of him) ready to "help" us shovel out. the second shows the drift along the face of the garages. the last is a shot of the Barn taken from the house. hard to say how much snow due to the drifting (and it's even worse now as the winds are gusting to around 35 MPH and blowing the snow everywhere) but i'd guess around 15-18 inches. sounds like Boston is getting creamed today.

1106156698178_blizzard_of_2005_003.jpg1104976783848_blizzard_of_2005_005.jpg1105504763901_blizzard_of_2005_006.jpg

time for some FOOTBALL - enjoy............. grin.gif

Hey,

It was greating checking out all those books. You surely were collecting at a great time. I'm convinces you'll get at least two 9.6s. I don't remember the issues, but two or three of them were candidates for that grade. And, I'm pretty sure I've always been (and remain) a tighter grade than the boys down south. They are much better at that resto check thing, though! I'll give them that!

Good luck! Let us know what they come back as. And, lunch is on me next time if you don't get any 9.6s. That way you won't be too bummed out if that happens!

Hey,

It was greating checking out all those books. You surely were collecting at a great time. I'm convinces you'll get at least two 9.6s. I don't remember the issues, but two or three of them were candidates for that grade. And, I'm pretty sure I've always been (and remain) a tighter grade than the boys down south. They are much better at that resto check thing, though! I'll give them that!

Good luck! Let us know what they come back as. And, lunch is on me next time if you don't get any 9.6s. That way you won't be too bummed out if that happens!

ok - that sounds good to me!!! and just to be fair, if i do manage to get two 9.6's cloud9.gif i'll buy you lunch at the next show in April...........oops - may not know by then so we'll leave the date open. thumbsup2.gif

Sorry i am getting here late, but it was great hanging with some of board member, and getting a chance to talk with them.Redhook, Burntboy, Dam60,BleekerBob, Foolkiller, Heartened, Delekkerste it was nice to chat with you all, lots of comic book experiences between us all. Burntboy as a DC collector those were some very fine specimens, i look forward to the posting of the grades. It was also a pleasure to speak with Gemma and she is still trapped here in this Northern Tundra till Monday. The show was light with dealers, but seem to have some brisk business Saturday pre snow, would be interesting report on today's attendance. Till next time guys Take Care!!

some thought i might get my first 9.6 ever - we'll see.

Which one(s), Harry? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif "The madness starts at 9.6..."

the table at lunch was big and round so i just split the pile of books in half and passed them in both directions. don't know which books were considered the nicest but there are no Keys to get excited over. some nice Infantino and Gil Kane artwork, though......... cloud9.gif

Question: At the NYC show, if you were standing in front of Harley Yee's booth, who was the big set up just to the right of Harley Yee? I forget their name, but they were huge and had one hell of a collection. Do they have a web site?

• Administrator

Actually Nostalgic Investments was set up in the middle of those two on Sat, but they were torn down by early Sun... I don't know if that's who you mean though, they had a small booth space. I hope that helps! grin.gif