• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does a detached cover affect value?

34 posts in this topic

Hey there,

The subject says it all!

I have the choice between 2 books, a 2.0 that looks like a 4.0 with a detached cover, or a 2.5. The 2.0 is obviously cheaper, so the fact that it displays very well, makes it enticing; however, I don't want to make a $5000.00+ investment if it isn't going to grow due a defect like detached cover.

Just looking for some veteran advice! Thanks!

There are two copies of Amazing Fantasy #15. They are both on eBay, and I have spoke with both sellers regarding the price. The 2.0 looks much, much better, it just has a detached cover; however, the 2.5 doesn't display as well and is much more expensive, but everything is in tact. I just can't decide, I am in a financial situation where I can afford this book , but can't decide which copy I want to make an offer on.

It's tough

On the one hand you'd want to go with the better looking copy, but you have to consider resale if you upgrade.

At the moment (right now) ... AF15 is ultra ultra hot. I don't think resale is an up issue in either case, so you should pic the one you like better. For me it would be the better looker with the detached. But you have to be cool with the label reading "cover detached." I would be.

GLWT Hunt :)

Ok if it was me I'd take the detached

it looks better in the slab-its not like you'll be reading it.

And the more valuable it becomes the less it matters I think-I believe if the 2 books were Action #1 the detached would be worth much more than the beat up copy

I could be wrong

Ps I've heard of sliding the remaining bit back under the staple-I wonder if that's a possibility here

There are two copies of Amazing Fantasy #15. They are both on eBay, and I have spoke with both sellers regarding the price. The 2.0 looks much, much better, it just has a detached cover; however, the 2.5 doesn't display as well and is much more expensive, but everything is in tact. I just can't decide, I am in a financial situation where I can afford this book , but can't decide which copy I want to make an offer on.

1. I hope they are CGC graded already.

2. If not, I hope they are for sale from a rock-solid top dealer who will allow you to return the book after it has come back from CGC.

3. I hope you are planning to send it to CGC

4. I hope you can withstand financial loss and major disappointment if 1, 2, and 3 were not in your plans.

For an AF15, I would prefer the 2.5 unless it had too much Marvel chipping. In that case I would pass on both. There will be more available in that price range, you should be patient and find the right one for you.