• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investment Question!

56 posts in this topic

Hey Guys and Gals!

Quick Question!

If you had roughly $7,000.00 you were wanting to invest to further your comic collection, would you buy one Amazing Fantasy #15, or would you buy multiple 1k/2k keys?

Always looking for veteran, expert advice!

Some of the keys I am considering would of Tales of Suspense 39, Journey into Mystery 83, Giant Size X-Men 1, Avengers 1, Avengers 4, Brave and the Bold 28.

However, I am a huge Spidey fan, and am probably not going to have 7k to just throw at the collection all at once ever again, so there is the dilemma.

Thanks!

Personally I'd take the multiple keys. Because its more comics and it seems like the investment increase would be the same either way.

Anyone know how many years for example it took AF 15 to double in value? 8?

I'd recommend the route of buying a few nice smaller keys with the 7K.

It wouldn't be too hard to find mid/low grade copies of TOS 39/JIM 83 (pick one @4.0-4.5 for @4000), Avengers 1 (4.0-4.5 for @2300), and Avengers 4 (@4.0-4.5 for around 700). Heck, you could probably even find them cheaper than the prices above and throw a GSXM 1 onto the pile.

My opinion may be influenced by the belief that it's not a great time to buy an AF 15 or IH 1. Not that they aren't both outstanding books to have.

Have fun with it.

Hey Guys and Gals!

Quick Question!

If you had roughly $7,000.00 you were wanting to invest to further your comic collection, would you buy one Amazing Fantasy #15, or would you buy multiple 1k/2k keys?

Always looking for veteran, expert advice!

Some of the keys I am considering would of Tales of Suspense 39, Journey into Mystery 83, Giant Size X-Men 1, Avengers 1, Avengers 4, Brave and the Bold 28.

However, I am a huge Spidey fan, and am probably not going to have 7k to just throw at the collection all at once ever again, so there is the dilemma.

Thanks!

I'd go more the DC route like Showcase #4.

With the crazy market for Hulk #1 and AF#15 you cant go wrong with

JiM 83

ToS 39

X-men 1

Fantastic Four 1

also

Daredevil 1

Strange Tales 110

Tales to Astonish 27,35

Showcase 4, 22

Brave and bold 28

in bronze age

Hulk 181

Batman 232

GSX 1

ASM 129

but with 7k you might have enough for a decent g/vg- Amazing Fantasy #15

good luck!

I have investments in Disney/Marvel,DC comics,Apple,and some pharmaceutical stocks.Buy what you want when it comes to your comic books,the gains or "investment" Is just a bonus.I don't make financial decisions with my comics.I make an investment in my happiness. (thumbs u

You guys have my permission to use as a Sig. Line quote. lol

I have investments in Disney/Marvel,DC comics,Apple,and some pharmaceutical stocks.Buy what you want when it comes to your comic books,the gains or "investment" Is just a bonus.I don't make financial decisions with my comics.I make an investment in my happiness. (thumbs u

Smartest post I've ever read on these here boards; and I've read a lot of dumb ish!

Will there ever be a "good time" to buy AF15 again?

I mean, we can't chalk up it's recent spike in price due to the movies, because they aren't selling nearly enough tickets to warrant that argument.

My biggest dilemma here is this. Yes, I have roughly 7000-7500 to spend. Like every collector, I would love to have all the high end keys one day, but it is rare that I have this large of sum of cash to spend all at once.

Like some of you said above, there is no doubt that I should buy what makes me happy, the thing is, is that owning any of the above mentioned books is going to increase happiness; however, it's choosing which ones that seem to be the problem.

When I first started collecting, I had my eyes set on particular books. FF#1, X-Men #1, FF#48, Showcase #22 etc. Now here we are quite some time later, I own all those books and the time has come to push my collection a little further. I MAY be coming into a Amazing Spider-Man #1 7.0 tomorrow, and if I do, I will without a doubt get the AF15 to have the two most important Spidey Keys.

I guess in all reality, as a Investor in quite a few different collectible markets, advice is always something that you should listen to. I appreciate being a member of these board and take every response into consideration!

Thanks everyone!

Some good advice already. My opinion would be DD 1 in higher grade if your looking at is an an investment I still think it's a undervalued book. Still a lot of fair priced dc books out there as well.

DD1 is the cheapest of the Marvel keys from the early 60's and, as you state, probably undervalued. However, it is probably also the easiest of the early keys to obtain = there are lots of copies out there. I would go for a truly rare book. Check the census on the keys,avoid artificial hypes like Hawkman 4, and whatever you do buy something you like. AF15 is a safe bet. I would also advise getting a book with nice page quality !

Will there ever be a "good time" to buy AF15 again?

I mean, we can't chalk up it's recent spike in price due to the movies, because they aren't selling nearly enough tickets to warrant that argument.

My biggest dilemma here is this. Yes, I have roughly 7000-7500 to spend. Like every collector, I would love to have all the high end keys one day, but it is rare that I have this large of sum of cash to spend all at once.

Like some of you said above, there is no doubt that I should buy what makes me happy, the thing is, is that owning any of the above mentioned books is going to increase happiness; however, it's choosing which ones that seem to be the problem.

When I first started collecting, I had my eyes set on particular books. FF#1, X-Men #1, FF#48, Showcase #22 etc. Now here we are quite some time later, I own all those books and the time has come to push my collection a little further. I MAY be coming into a Amazing Spider-Man #1 7.0 tomorrow, and if I do, I will without a doubt get the AF15 to have the two most important Spidey Keys.

I guess in all reality, as a Investor in quite a few different collectible markets, advice is always something that you should listen to. I appreciate being a member of these board and take every response into consideration!

Thanks everyone!

Well, since you did stated that you have most of the keys already owned in your collection. So, you are chasing after the ASM #1 or AF15 next? Then the next question is what grade are you comfortable with what condition of pages? A 4.0 with OW pages? A 5.0 with White pages? Or 3.0 with OW/W pages?

If you got time to shop for these specific keys... maybe use part of your budget to buy some nicer key copies to replace the keys you already have in collection. Or use part of budget for investment stocks. they can diversify into some extra cash and take them into your comic book budget to build up. Whatever works for you, it's your ball in court! (thumbs u have fun!

Smartest post I've ever read on these here boards; and I've read a lot of dumb ish!

Agreed.

(worship)

That being said, I think you answered your question already. You love Spider-Man. It's a book that is never going to substantially decrease in value so you have a solid investment AND buy a book that you'll always love.

But the AF 15. (thumbs u