• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investment Question!

56 posts in this topic

It depends on if you can stomach the idea of shelling out thousands of dollars for a beat to heck copy of a major key or not. Everyone has their own taste. I don't get any pleasure out of owning a beat-up rag just because it's a key; for big money I want a book that's nice to look at. Others value just having any piece they can afford of a favorite issue. Personally, I think low grade major keys have bubbled up to crazy values, particularly ones that are plentiful (like AF15), but plenty will disagree.

I would diversify just to have multiple keys if you like the books.

I would stay away from:

ST 110 – Bloated price

BB 28 – Bloated price

TTA 27 – Bloated price

Showcase 22 – Everything GL in my collection has been on the slide since the movie (GL1, GL76, etc)

GSX 1 – Lots in the census but it is creeping up

Solid books:

JIM 83

TOS 39

X-Men 1

Fantastic Four 1

Daredevil 1 (undervalued)

Showcase 4 (can turn into an AF15 because of its rarity or it could tank)

Hyper inflated books, but ironically still room to grow:

AF15 – Lots in the census, but demand will always outpace supply

IH1 – I would be cautious of this because the spike was sudden and for reasons no one can really articulate why.

Don't jump on the movie train with Thanos, Ultron, or any other book currently being CPR'ed to death and bumped beyond its true value. Look at TOS 50 a year after the movie was out of the theaters.

Will there ever be a "good time" to buy AF15 again?

I mean, we can't chalk up it's recent spike in price due to the movies, because they aren't selling nearly enough tickets to warrant that argument.

My biggest dilemma here is this. Yes, I have roughly 7000-7500 to spend. Like every collector, I would love to have all the high end keys one day, but it is rare that I have this large of sum of cash to spend all at once.

Like some of you said above, there is no doubt that I should buy what makes me happy, the thing is, is that owning any of the above mentioned books is going to increase happiness; however, it's choosing which ones that seem to be the problem.

When I first started collecting, I had my eyes set on particular books. FF#1, X-Men #1, FF#48, Showcase #22 etc. Now here we are quite some time later, I own all those books and the time has come to push my collection a little further. I MAY be coming into a Amazing Spider-Man #1 7.0 tomorrow, and if I do, I will without a doubt get the AF15 to have the two most important Spidey Keys.

I guess in all reality, as a Investor in quite a few different collectible markets, advice is always something that you should listen to. I appreciate being a member of these board and take every response into consideration!

Thanks everyone!

You could get a decent XM1 , FF1, and FF48 for $7500

I have investments in Disney/Marvel,DC comics,Apple,and some pharmaceutical stocks.Buy what you want when it comes to your comic books,the gains or "investment" Is just a bonus.I don't make financial decisions with my comics.I make an investment in my happiness. (thumbs u

You guys have my permission to use as a Sig. Line quote. lol

In regards to this statement. I don't think most people are spending thousands of dollars to read a hardcopy of a book for the "happiness" factor? If it made you that happy to read said book you could download a digital copy for a few bucks. The only reason one spends that much money on an item is for the investment opportunity.

I have investments in Disney/Marvel,DC comics,Apple,and some pharmaceutical stocks.Buy what you want when it comes to your comic books,the gains or "investment" Is just a bonus.I don't make financial decisions with my comics.I make an investment in my happiness. (thumbs u

In regards to this statement. I don't think most people are spending thousands of dollars to read a hardcopy of a book for the "happiness" factor? If it made you that happy to read said book you could download a digital copy for a few bucks. The only reason one spends that much money on an item is for the investment opportunity.

That's not true! I have been collecting comics my whole life,and pre internet times made it very difficult to obtain certain books.Now it's easier,and I want what I couldn't have then.I certainly hope my books retain their value,even grow in value.I just don't rely on them to be a sole investment.

I would diversify just to have multiple keys if you like the books.

I would stay away from:

ST 110 – Bloated price

BB 28 – Bloated price

TTA 27 – Bloated price

Showcase 22 – Everything GL in my collection has been on the slide since the movie (GL1, GL76, etc)

Solid books:

JIM 83

TOS 39

X-Men 1

Fantastic Four 1

Hyper inflated books, but ironically still room to grow:

AF15 – Lots in the census, but demand will always outpace supply

IH1 – I would be cautious of this because the spike was sudden and for reasons no one can really articulate why.

Don't jump on the movie train with Thanos, Ultron, or any other book currently being CPR'ed to death and bumped beyond its true value. Look at TOS 50 a year after the movie was out of the theaters.

I like for long-term.

Daredevil 1

TOS 39

X-MEN 1

AF 15

Hulk 1

Short-term

The movie hyped stuff is good to make short-term money to get those long-term bets.

I think I remember a few boardies saying how they traded 1990s Image and Valliant comic book hyped stuff in for silver age keys during the 1990s bubble.

Or a 9.8 Spiderman 129. Punisher has so much untapped potential.

whats the story behind that GIF?

Will there ever be a "good time" to buy AF15 again?

I mean, we can't chalk up it's recent spike in price due to the movies, because they aren't selling nearly enough tickets to warrant that argument.

My biggest dilemma here is this. Yes, I have roughly 7000-7500 to spend. Like every collector, I would love to have all the high end keys one day, but it is rare that I have this large of sum of cash to spend all at once.

I guess in all reality, as a Investor in quite a few different collectible markets, advice is always something that you should listen to. I appreciate being a member of these board and take every response into consideration!

Thanks everyone!

Food for thought is that if someone spent their $7000-7500 on multiple issues of Marvel Preview 4,7,Hulk 271,Tales to Astonish #13, and NM #98 just 2 years ago they would experienced much more profit then someone who shelled out $7000-7500 for their one single copy of an AF#15 at that price. :o

I know AF#15 is a good long-term bet, but the fact is multiple issues of Marvel Preview 4,7,Hulk 271,Tales to Astonish #13, and NM #98 bought a few years ago would have netted a bigger profit then going with the conservative safe pick of AF#15.

So I suggest to keep an open mind to the way the market fluctuates.

That's not true! I have been collecting comics my whole life,and pre internet times made it very difficult to obtain certain books.Now it's easier,and I want what I couldn't have then.I certainly hope my books retain their value,even grow in value.I just don't rely on them to be a sole investment.

I buy books I love and with the intention of keeping them long-term, but I also buy with the knowledge that life circumstances can change and I might one day need to sell them. So I do look for books I think can retain their value. That way I don't look at it as spending, say, $2000, but just reallocating $2000. If I have the pleasure of having the book for a while and then can get my money back when/if needed, I'm happy. Any increase is a bonus.

I will, however, buy recent drek strictly for speculation purposes - helps fund the real part of the collection.

Thanks for all the replies!

I guess I look at any $7000.00 purchase to be considered an investment opportunity; however, these purchases will be purchased for the enjoyment of owning the books and not to sell within a year or two for a profit. With that being said, I do like to be smart with my money.

So, I'm not interested in buying an AF#15 because it is a "safe bet", but more or less because I'm a 1st appearance collector, and this would be a mega key. Now with that same $7000.00, I could knock out 1st Thor, 1st Iron Man and a good GSX1 to knock out some more 1st App.

I obviously want to see growth in this purchase, in the event I ever needed to sell off my collection, I would see significant gains in my initial investment. I also don't need 15 copies of New Mutants 98 either.

I enjoy reading everyone responses, as this is a topic that frequently comes up among my group of friends and other collector's!

Man 1400 copies of Thor 165 could have been bought last year for 7K.....lets see that works out to 70K ROI....

I would stay away from:

ST 110 – Bloated price

BB 28 – Bloated price

TTA 27 – Bloated price

Solid books:

JIM 83

TOS 39

X-Men 1

Fantastic Four 1

Not sure I agree that ST110 or BB28 are bloated. ST110 still fairly affordable and not that common, and Dr. Strange -- while not a "main" Marvel hero like the big names, always held his weight. If the movie works (with Marvel Studios' track record, it likely will do quite well) it will continue to climb. BB28 another book that, while pricey, still has tremendous growth potential if WB doesn't screw up the JLA film.

Showcase 22? The rest of 2014 and 2015 is a good time to buy this book, before DC/WB re-boots the character in the JLA film and gets it right.

But I agree about spreading the risk into multiple non-AF15 keys.