• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investment Question!

56 posts in this topic

Or a 9.8 Spiderman 129. Punisher has so much untapped potential.

whats the story behind that GIF?

No idea. Some redneck probably mouthing off to someone 8x his size. Has to be from Florida.

Skinny dudes with mullets often run their mouths

Thanks for all the replies!

I guess I look at any $7000.00 purchase to be considered an investment opportunity; however, these purchases will be purchased for the enjoyment of owning the books and not to sell within a year or two for a profit. With that being said, I do like to be smart with my money.

So, I'm not interested in buying an AF#15 because it is a "safe bet", but more or less because I'm a 1st appearance collector, and this would be a mega key. Now with that same $7000.00, I could knock out 1st Thor, 1st Iron Man and a good GSX1 to knock out some more 1st App.

I obviously want to see growth in this purchase, in the event I ever needed to sell off my collection, I would see significant gains in my initial investment. I also don't need 15 copies of New Mutants 98 either.

I enjoy reading everyone responses, as this is a topic that frequently comes up among my group of friends and other collector's!

This post answers my question. You're not an "investor", you're a "collector". That's OK, but you're not investing your money. If you were, the bolded part of your statement wouldn't have been made. You don't "need" anything - you need a high return.

Or a 9.8 Spiderman 129. Punisher has so much untapped potential.

whats the story behind that GIF?

No idea. Some redneck probably mouthing off to someone 8x his size. Has to be from Florida.

Skinny dudes with mullets often run their mouths

Yeah, Samson there.. and his sweet mullet, lost his 90 lbs of fury and got jacked up nice.

Hey Guys and Gals!

Quick Question!

If you had roughly $7,000.00 you were wanting to invest to further your comic collection, would you buy one Amazing Fantasy #15, or would you buy multiple 1k/2k keys?

Always looking for veteran, expert advice!

Some of the keys I am considering would of Tales of Suspense 39, Journey into Mystery 83, Giant Size X-Men 1, Avengers 1, Avengers 4, Brave and the Bold 28.

However, I am a huge Spidey fan, and am probably not going to have 7k to just throw at the collection all at once ever again, so there is the dilemma.

Thanks!

Buy as many WD #100 A or Chrome for $2-5 now

Dont think this will be a $100 key but it will be an easy and quick $10-15 flip when Negan appears

Hey Guys and Gals!

Quick Question!

If you had roughly $7,000.00 you were wanting to invest to further your comic collection, would you buy one Amazing Fantasy #15, or would you buy multiple 1k/2k keys?

Some of the keys I am considering would of Tales of Suspense 39, Journey into Mystery 83, Giant Size X-Men 1, Avengers 1, Avengers 4, Brave and the Bold 28.

However, I am a huge Spidey fan, and am probably not going to have 7k to just throw at the collection all at once ever again, so there is the dilemma.

Thanks!

Dont think this will be a $100 key but it will be an easy and quick $10-15 flip when Negan appears

I think that strategy would be a lot of work for the return. I am assuming the OP has a day job and does want to go through that much work to make a few bucks.

I think many of the silver age keys you mentioned would be fine, but I don't know what the upside potential is since many of them have risen tremendously in the past few years. If you are looking to add one of these comics to your collection because you like the character, I think that is the one you should pick. (thumbs u Find a Spidey comic you like and buy that with the money. That way, if the comic doesn't appreciate, you still have the enjoyment of owning the comic.

Hey Guys and Gals!

Quick Question!

Thanks!

or Harley Quinn Future's end 3d.. that book is going to fly off shelves next few summer con seasons at $8-15 a pop!

lots of good modern books worth doing this but that is a lot of hard work!

If you don't want a 3.0 ish AF15, TOS 39 in cgc 6ish is a solid bet, there aren't too many floating around.

I always thought TOS 39 looks great next to FF #1 and X-men #1!!!!

JIM 83 is surprisingly fairly common right now (at every dealers booth, tons on ebay), so the evidence supports ToS 39 gaining momentum in 2015/2016.

TOS 39 or AF15!

Hey Guys and Gals!

Quick Question!

Thanks!

I think that strategy would be a lot of work for the return. I am assuming the OP has a day job and does want to go through that much work to make a few bucks.

I think many of the silver age keys you mentioned would be fine, but I don't know what the upside potential is since many of them have risen tremendously in the past few years. If you are looking to add one of these comics to your collection because you like the character, I think that is the one you should pick. (thumbs u Find a Spidey comic you like and buy that with the money. That way, if the comic doesn't appreciate, you still have the enjoyment of owning the comic.

The fact that so many shun the #100 makes me think this strategy could pay off big time!

Sounds to me like you already have it in your head to go for the AF15. It seems to satisfy both the collector and the investor conflicting with one another better than the other choices. You WANT an AF15 as a collector to knock out one of the mega keys, it's rare you have $7k sitting around all at once, and it WILL continue to increase in value.

Now, with that said, get that one out of the way, start building up the funds again, and knock out the others before they too get out of reach because some of those mega-keys are going to climb faster in value than the AF15 in my opinion.

Daredevil 1 in high grade is VERY popular with boardies and in my opinion has the most room to grow, depending on the way the television show is accepted.

TOS39 will climb a little bit more every time you see Robert Downey Jr. suit up. So get ready for a price hike again soon.

We could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Hey Guys and Gals!

Quick Question!

Thanks!

The fact that so many shun the #100 makes me think this strategy could pay off big time!

Why is WD 100 shunned?

Mostly because of the gazillion copies out there.

Exactly this. That would be a horrible decision. Even though the show has topped it's ratings at 17.3 million viewers doesn't mean anything for #100 when Negan comes. Everyone knows Negan is coming and #100 has a billion variants and copies.

Anyways, this is about the OP investing. I am in the same boat OP, sorta. I am putting my money into semi-major Keys. I feel deep down that my money is safe with these books.

I would rather have quantity of books, because I enjoy them all and would be bored with just one say, i.e AF15.

I'm buying 1st App Heroes and Villains, and the hunt is fun to find that perfect book for my collection.

I don't collect DC, but here are my picks:

JIM 83, 85

TOS 39

GSXM 1

Xmen 1, 4

Avengers 1

Hulk 181

Iron Man 55

Walking Dead #1 only (sorry I <3 wd but my gut just tells me to "invest" only in #1)

TOS 52

So far that's it for now. lol GLWTH (thumbs u

This is an interesting topic for me as I only recently found this forum buying a key that I felt the "time" was right to get it now.

As someone who has bought off and on since a kid in the 80's I have always grabbed what I wanted and slowly working on a ASM 1-100 run. A few years back I felt somewhat the same as far as do I grab at the time #1 or grab a group of the lesser titles with the same money. I bought the #1 because I thought I would continue to struggle putting that kind of money in the book no matter the time. What I noticed is the lesser titles have been about the same price except some jumps when they are in the movies. The #1 has appreciated and I wound up upgrading this year.

Now of course I jumped in deeper cause you only live once and #1 is about the 4th most expensive book I have purchased, slippery slope.

So do what makes you happy and can bail you out with some walking money.

Hey Guys and Gals!

Quick Question!

Thanks!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6800799&fpart=32

Look like some of my picks paid off.

Strange Tales 135

Iron Man 1 (I don't know any 'newbie' collectors that don't want this book and I meet a lot at antique conventions and the like)

Tales of Suspense 52 and 53 (both undervalued in my opinion)

FF 48 and 52 (yes, there are a million copies of 48, but it is in demand)

Avengers 57