• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

digital OA as a 1 off print?

83 posts in this topic

Affect the price of what exactly?

Do you mean "Will the value of 1 off prints be the same as "true" original art?" ??

This is actually what Rusell Dauterman ( new Thor artist, very talented guy ) does, and his asking prices on published pieces are pretty close to what I would have expected for "real" original art ( rather than one off prints ).

Personally, I have zero interest in buying prints. Even if they're one of a kind. But that didn't stop other collectors from buying some of his Thor pages ( so good for him ).

I guess this is something that's commonly accepted in the photography world where it's completely OK to pay big bucks for a limited or unique print.

My concern is, "How do you know it's a one of a kind print?" It seems like a really difficult thing to guarantee.

I remember my old BWS Conan portfolio that would "never be reprinted." Before long, the prints were published. Sigh ...

I just don't really understand the market for digital prints. What's to stop anyone from making a high quality print from the image? If you have the digital image off of Comixology or from a high rez scan or where ever, you could just print out a copy for yourself.

I just don't really understand the market for digital prints. What's to stop anyone from making a high quality print from the image? If you have the digital image off of Comixology or from a high rez scan or where ever, you could just print out a copy for yourself.

Sure, but you could do the same for 6 figure fine art photographs (shrug)

I can't necessarily explain it, but digital art prints appeal to some people and there's at least some kind of market for it.

What about something done in digital originally, but then the digital is used to create a one of a kind hand drawn/colored original (not a print)? Thoughts?

This is similar to what Mark Brooks (and a few others do) they'll do tight pencils digitally, and then ink on physical paper.

I'd equate this to inks over blue-lines by the artist.

A 1/1 print loses some of that magic, because the artist never did anything but remove that piece of paper from a printer. For me, there's something special about knowing the artist sat down at his drafting board in front of a blank piece of paper and physically drew what eventually was published in a comic.

I think there's a market for 1/1 prints, and they're going to be more common in the future. My guess is their value would be about half of what a pencil and ink original would be valued at. I can't way what I'd pay, because I just don't think I'd be in that market.

Do you mean "Will the value of 1 off prints be the same as "true" original art?" ??

This is actually what Rusell Dauterman ( new Thor artist, very talented guy ) does, and his asking prices on published pieces are pretty close to what I would have expected for "real" original art ( rather than one off prints ).

Personally, I have zero interest in buying prints. Even if they're one of a kind. But that didn't stop other collectors from buying some of his Thor pages ( so good for him ).

I guess this is something that's commonly accepted in the photography world where it's completely OK to pay big bucks for a limited or unique print.

he's the reason i'm asking, this is the closest to a peice of OA your going to get from him (and possibaly others). if he only does 1 print instead of say like greg horn where there's hundreds or thousands of the same print (cover).

why collect OA at all, when you can just go to CAF or other sites and print off a copy of the OA from there?

lol this question can crossover to comics as well, why would you want to own an original of ASM1 when there are thousands of reprints out there

he's the reason i'm asking, this is the closest to a peice of OA your going to get from him (and possibaly others). if he only does 1 print instead of say like greg horn where there's hundreds or thousands of the same print (cover).

If it boils down to filling a gap in your collection and this is the only way you can do it then it's really only you that can decide if the cost versus the satisfaction and enjoyment you will get out of the print is justifiable. If it is going in a permanent collection then anything else really doesn't matter.

However, if you are usually in the camp where owning a print digital art really doesn't usually do it for you and you are worried you may fall out of love with your purchase then leave it for now. From what I have seen expensive comic art prints simply don't have the same amount of buyers (say above $60) and aren't as aggressively collected so the option to purchase it later will probably be there for quite some time... whereas your option to sell it on may never surface at all.

If the price is close to what a commission from this artist would cost then for me it's a no brainer, get a commission or have the patience to wait for a commission slot to open. Maybe even consider putting the money you would have spent towards a con ticket and get a sketch done if they attend.

edit: in a world where we are so inter-connected online but have less actual contact with each other there seems to be a growing trend with collectors to reject digital content and get something done by hand.

IMO skeptical as I might be it's simply the artist trying to get paid for originals without having to create them. They want or have to work in digital but also want to get paid for originals at the same time. No thanks. Why would I pay for originals that aren't originals?

the only way i can see is if you can tell his sig will be real (can you tell it's ink from a pen) or just a photocopy (even high rez)

as for himself printing more instead of keeping his word on printing only 1, (shrug) have to trust him is all......the only work around i can see is you get the 1 off and anything after he actully writes that it's a copy/print and not the original (personaly i wouldn't like this secenro either)

i'm on the fence since i buy comics/OA as an investment/collector (depending if i'm selling it or keeping for now & selling later). this is the closest you will ever get to OA on these peices, as long as he keeps his word on it being a true 1 off. you will always have scamers even in comics (cry for dawn 1 and others) so yes every peice of OA is up for speculation if it's real unless you trust the owner, have to use your own judgement (can you tell an original from a fake/photocopy)

For what it's worth, I attempted to try and define the "Digital Original" for my own artwork back in 2002 with a couple pieces of mine (which were all digital). I created the art and had some sort of notarized certificate stating that the original digital file was destroyed and that no prints of high quality could be made (I did retain a web-resolution image of it) - and that the canvas print that accompanied the certificate was the "original" print.

I sold two pieces that way, and after some reflection, I just figured that in a digital format there will simply be no original. An original work is the actual creation - not a reproduction produced for the means or replicating that creation - even if you only do it once.

You can't have a digital original, at least - in my opinion. People have been trying to figure out how to get around that for over a decade. I just don't think it's possible unless you can sway people's beliefs in what "original art" is. I applaud digital artists attempting it though - the digital medium needs to be more defined and legitimized, and either figuring out the original or rejecting it as whole is good for the art world.

Trouble is for a lot of modern series, this is going to be your only option if you want OA, and that's only going to increase as you see more artists start working digital.

One notable example I can think of right now is The Fade Out, the new crime series from Brubaker and Phillips. Sean Phillips is working digital now, so there's no pages of the new series to speak of, unlike Criminal and their prior work together.

If you want something from the series that isn't the issue, well, I guess you're going the commission route?

Trouble is for a lot of modern series, this is going to be your only option if you want OA, and that's only going to increase as you see more artists start working digital.

One notable example I can think of right now is The Fade Out, the new crime series from Brubaker and Phillips. Sean Phillips is working digital now, so there's no pages of the new series to speak of, unlike Criminal and their prior work together.

If you want something from the series that isn't the issue, well, I guess you're going the commission route?

I know what you mean but I personally consider that thinking to be backwards. If the work for a series is digital then I don't want work from that series, period.

Most of what I collect is illustration art - toy package art and such. That went digital circa 95. As a result I have almost no originals after 95 in my collection and I'm not going to collect something that doesn't exist just to be able to say I have one. I mean if I get to that point I might as well start collecting unicorn horns 2c