• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 300 on fire

161 posts in this topic

Amazing Spider-man 300 isnt just about Venom, its also the symbol of an entire generation which ultimately became larger than the hype.

The cover is iconic and as famous to all generations as Hulk 181 cover.

the 2 most recognized covers of all time besides Action comics #1 and AF#15!

McFarlane will go down as the greatest comic book Icon of all time. He could eventually be more popular than Stan Lee (give it another 40 years or so)

his ASM and Hulk runs are timeless. up there with Claremont X-men as greatest comic run in history.

so this book isnt about venom, its about a fusion of the 2 greatest icons in comic book history Stan Lee, and Todd McFarlane!!

You can't be saying that with a straight face.

McFarlane changed comics dramatically. I can pick up and read ASM 298-328 almost any day of the week and love every minute of it. It was outstanding stuff and Spidey just pops off the page.

The very fact you used the word "Stiff" just makes me scratch my head. Does he look stiff here:

img058%20(2).jpg

You might not like his art Kav- but the guy defined Spidey for a generation and changed the landscape of comics. His books sell like wildfire and demand a decent price.

Oh and I love Frenz. HIs Spider-Girl was pretty incredible too.

McFarlane was incredible on that run. His overall body of work on Amazing redefined the character. When I think of Spiderman game changers I think of Romita, Ditko then McFarlane... And many may not like it... But there was a time period where Romita Jr was doing some pretty fun stuff. Kav may not like it and WILL find flaws with the art but those artists made me believe as a kid that I was watching a movie unfold on the page.

Funny... Thought that is what comics are supposed to do.

Kav, sometimes you are a riot. McFarlane average? lol

Spider-Man-319.png

OK, that page is terrible, but McFarlane had better moments than this. Both on Spidey and Hulk. He's not great, but he doesn't deserve to be lumped into the '90s dumpster bin with no-foot boy and friends.

I don't understand the love for ASM 300 though. That cover is so generic - it's basically just a blown-up logo. And it's not a first appearance. Maybe not a 2nd. If I was a McFarlane fan, I'd rather have ASM 298.

Spider-Man-319.png

Is there something wrong with this page? I love it (shrug)

Well MJ's hair looks nothing like human hair. And it's Huge. Her boobs look like plastic barbie boobs. Her hips look nothing like a real women's hips. The pose is awkward and goofy. Her broad shoulders make me think maybe she's a dude. The thighs are way too long and pretty thick. The clothes look plastic. The last panel MJ if you look at her teeth, they seem to be growing out of her lips, not her jaw like normal people.

The spiderman pic might seem fluid because of the contortion but the actual drawing of each limb is stiffly done, and shows no sense of the actual play of muscles in a moving limb. That page is oft mocked as the 'Tranny MJ' page and if you love it well you love it.

Spider-Man-319.png

OK, that page is terrible, but McFarlane had better moments than this. Both on Spidey and Hulk. He's not great, but he doesn't deserve to be lumped into the '90s dumpster bin with no-foot boy and friends.

I don't understand the love for ASM 300 though. That cover is so generic - it's basically just a blown-up logo. And it's not a first appearance. Maybe not a 2nd. If I was a McFarlane fan, I'd rather have ASM 298.

THIS

Turn the Spiderman drawing upside down and look how spiderman's left arm articulates-he's reaching across his chest and the shoulder should move in that direction-it doesn't-STIFF. It therefore looks welded on and the torso/shoulder are not moving fluidly together. That makes the left shoulder look weirdly larger than the right. You can see he didn't know what he was doing and got confused trying to patch it together by examining the rib area under the left arm. Even though the arm is reaching across and thus should be foreshortened because his body is at an angle, it's not-it's a side view-STIFF.

Don't get fooled by flashy drawing-if limbs look 'stuck on' that's stiff drawing.

McFarlane's Spidey looked fine, but he couldn't draw faces that didn't make people look like a Pomeranian. There, now everyone gets to be right.

Big time.

150420.jpg.a03a2060d3544e5e35f5c1f3ca84a0df.jpg

Man Kav you are being way too picky. Comics aren't supposed to be realistic. Heck I'm reading about a guy bitten by a radioactive spider who can crawl on walls. It doesn't have to be perfect- it just has to be fun to look at.

I hate when people start complaining about anatomy in comics. It just irks me. Shouldn't your bigger issue be the alien from a dying planet that can fly? Or the guy who can turn his body to sand? Or the guy with the extra arms grafted to his body he can control?

Man Kav you are being way too picky. Comics aren't supposed to be realistic. Heck I'm reading about a guy bitten by a radioactive spider who can crawl on walls. It doesn't have to be perfect- it just has to be fun to look at.

I hate when people start complaining about anatomy in comics. It just irks me. Shouldn't your bigger issue be the alien from a dying planet that can fly? Or the guy who can turn his body to sand? Or the guy with the extra arms grafted to his body he can control?

Technically I'm not complaining about the anatomy just the stiff placement of limbs-it's something I've always struggled with and I'm sensitive to it and it stands out when I see it. Anatomy can be grossly exaggerated, and as long as it's fluid, it looks ok. Stiffness is the sign of an amateur, as all amateurs draw stiffly so it really bugs me.

I've always loved this cover too:

1678192-amazing_spider_man__1963_1998_1st_series__314.jpeg

If that isn't fun, I don't know what is…

Those are good. If he always drew like that I'd be on board.

You will not see a single john romita Sr drawing that is stiff-that's a good artist.