• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Age One Hit Wonder(s)

24 posts in this topic

Charlie Armentano?

He draws one cover in all of comics and it's an incredible classic:

Super DC Giant 21

What happened?

Is he the Bronze Age "One Hit Wonder?"

Are there other one hit wonders?

Thanks for any insight,

John

Well, yeah... he did just one cover, but did a lot of other work.

Not Bronze, but one guy who I loved in the Copper Age was Sandy Plunkett. He did maybe 5 comics in a 10 year period, but every one was terrific.

He did a Black Panther story in a Solo Avengers that I convinced about 10 friends to buy when it came out, I loved it so much.

Not Bronze, but one guy who I loved in the Copper Age was Sandy Plunkett. He did maybe 5 comics in a 10 year period, but every one was terrific.

He did a Black Panther story in a Solo Avengers that I convinced about 10 friends to buy when it came out, I loved it so much.

I think you miss my point: he does a spectacular cover but never does another again. And the Knack did other songs but My Sharona was the only hit- a One Hit Wonder.

Well, Jeff Jones only did two covers for DC. Two hit wonder count?

And beauties they are. Jones was an incredible painter.

Yes, but they pale in comparison to his magazine covers . . . ;)

I have a ton of her S/N portfolios, art books, and prints as well as many of the magazines that her art appeared in. I wish I could find the interview where Frazetta says Jones is the greatest painter he has ever seen. That's pretty high praise coming from Frazetta.

Even as much as I admire the art, I admire her courage to transition her gender and come forward. She kept the Jeffrey but added the Catherine in middle.

All four of the Studio artists are amazing.

I have a ton of her S/N portfolios, art books, and prints as well as many of the magazines that her art appeared in. I wish I could find the interview where Frazetta says Jones is the greatest painter he has ever seen. That's pretty high praise coming from Frazetta.

Even as much as I admire the art, I admire her courage to transition her gender and come forward. She kept the Jeffrey but added the Catherine in middle.

All four of the Studio artists are amazing.

+1 to all of it. She was my number one draft pick for trying to obtain SS in the years before her untimely passing. It will always bother me that I only could only get 3 of the 4. RIP JCJ.

Charlie Armentano?

Super DC Giant 21

What happened?

Thanks for any insight,

John

I used to have a little comics blog, and at one point I did a really, really terrible attempt at a top 150 DC covers of all time, though I knew way too little about DC to even attempt it at that point. But one of the covers I included on my list was this one.

Out of the blue, earlier this year I got an email from Charlie Armentano. He said that he was right out of college when he created this cover; DC liked his portfolio and commissioned him to do a cover for them, then they created a story based on his art, rather than the other way around.

He said that the original art was auctioned off on Heritage earlier this year.

He's currently working at a graphic design company. He didn't tell me, unfortunately, why he didn't do any more work for DC.

Charlie Armentano?

Super DC Giant 21

What happened?

Thanks for any insight,

John

I used to have a little comics blog, and at one point I did a really, really terrible attempt at a top 150 DC covers of all time, though I knew way too little about DC to even attempt it at that point. But one of the covers I included on my list was this one.

Out of the blue, earlier this year I got an email from Charlie Armentano. He said that he was right out of college when he created this cover; DC liked his portfolio and commissioned him to do a cover for them, then they created a story based on his art, rather than the other way around.

He said that the original art was auctioned off on Heritage earlier this year.

He's currently working at a graphic design company. He didn't tell me, unfortunately, why he didn't do any more work for DC.

This is an awesome story! Where in the world is Charlie Armentano?

Great topic! And Super DC Giant-21: a great cover, whether the artist did one or one thousand covers, this would be on many aficionados' short list of superb cover art. I'd always assumed he was one of the talented Filipinos of that timeframe, but never found any actual info to that effect.

I think you miss my point: he does a spectacular cover but never does another again. And the Knack did other songs but My Sharona was the only hit- a One Hit Wonder.

The Knack had 3 or 4 other songs that topped the billboard 100, such as "good girls don't" another fun popular song. they are definitely not a 1 hit wonder band

The Knack had 3 or 4 other songs that topped the billboard 100, such as "good girls don't" another fun popular song. they are definitely not a 1 hit wonder band

Muh-muh-muh-muh-my . . . . :grin:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/rolling-stone-readers-pick-the-top-10-one-hit-wonders-of-all-time-20110504/6-the-knack-my-sharona-0698928

http://100oneders.blogspot.com/2011/04/17-knack-my-sharona-no6-1979.html?m=1

I'll play: 1-time comics scripter (literally) Frank McGinty. I saw his byline only once growing up, on Green Lantern #101, a pretty good story from what I remember. Later, once GCD came along, this was confirmed as his single comics credit.

Anyone know the story here?

One-Hit Wonder?

Pseudonym?

This guy?

(shrug)

150502.jpg.bf8add08c462469687181142f8be8419.jpg