• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

services...

12 posts in this topic

I understand this question has been asked before, but I'm asking about a very specific group of books.

If I had anything in the NM- or better range, or worth $500 or more, CGC would seem to make the most sense for future liquidity, collector confidence, etc.

But I have a lot of books (mostly golden age, some early silvers) that guide in the $100-500 range and are in Good - VF condition. CGC's pricing structure seems a bit much for many of these books. I'd like to get about 40-50 of them slabbed, but don't want to take out a mortgage. That other company seems to be much more within my budget. Slabbing seems pretty important to liquidity as these are exactly the books that, if raw, I may only get 25% of guide for due to fears of restoration and/or overgrading.

So my question is, for these mid and low grade books that aren't huge money, would I be penny wise and pound foolish to go with the other service? Right now I'm interested in preservation and perhaps having a better basis for insurance purposes, but ultimately, if we have any bloblette's (and this could happen soon) I may have to sell to cover those new expenses (baby blobs are very expensive). I'm very much on the bubble with a couple of books like my VF Avengers 2, X-Men 2 and Hulk 2 and VG/Fine FF #5.

I understand this question has been asked before, but I'm asking about a very specific group of books.

If I had anything in the NM- or better range, or worth $500 or more, CGC would seem to make the most sense for future liquidity, collector confidence, etc.

But I have a lot of books (mostly golden age, some early silvers) that guide in the $100-500 range and are in Good - VF condition. CGC's pricing structure seems a bit much for many of these books. I'd like to get about 40-50 of them slabbed, but don't want to take out a mortgage. That other company seems to be much more within my budget. Slabbing seems pretty important to liquidity as these are exactly the books that, if raw, I may only get 25% of guide for due to fears of restoration and/or overgrading.

So my question is, for these mid and low grade books that aren't huge money, would I be penny wise and pound foolish to go with the other service? Right now I'm interested in preservation and perhaps having a better basis for insurance purposes, but ultimately, if we have any bloblette's (and this could happen soon) I may have to sell to cover those new expenses (baby blobs are very expensive). I'm very much on the bubble with a couple of books like my VF Avengers 2, X-Men 2 and Hulk 2 and VG/Fine FF #5.

If these books are in VF (8.0) condition then I would submit them to CGC for grading using the Standard grading method. If these books do come back in VF conditions then you can sell the X-Men #2 and the Hulk #2 for more than 1K. You may not get the same return with PGX.

My advice would be to pick the top ten or fifteen books and send them to CGC, while sending the rest to PGX.

Join the Collector's Society for $100 and you get three submissions.

Send in your three highest priced/highest grade books.

When you get them back, sell them and use that money to send in other books.

With the first three books you should be able to tell if your books will be worth the extra money to have them graded. It will also give you a check on the grades you believe them to be in, and give you better judgement for sending in other books to be graded.

I personally would not bother with PGX as I wouldn't let them slab my dirty underwear. gossip.gif

Anything below the VF grade will most likely sell just as well raw as CGC graded. So if money is your biggest concern you would be better off saving the grading fees.

Just to clarify, I was refering to SA books with the above statement. GA books are a little different and the worthwhile CGC grade point is much lower. I have no real experience with GA books so can't really comment on the specific cut off point, but certainly FN and up books would be worth grading primarily as a garantee against restoration.

what if they're Fines and I'm just overly optimistic about the VF grade? I suppose they're still likely among my top 10-15 value-wise.

Post a scan of these books and let some of our experts be the judge. I'd say if they're in FN/VF range then they're definitely worth slabbing.

If I was selling these books and was the original owner then I could guarantee my customers that the books were unrestored. However, if you're a second generation buyer and not a restoration expert like myself, then I'd recommend slabbing them. You could also send your books to Metropolis Comics for a restoration check.

I bought some of them from the original owner (via consignment at my LCS). I feel like I should probably do the Hulk whatever the grade, my LCS felt strongly it was a VF or better and it's pretty nice. maybe after 8 years in my collection it isn't as sharp, I don't know. Looking at my stacks of slabs I can't figure out the difference between some 6.0s SA books and the 8.0s.

On the restoration point, I think there's still fear out there about work having been done on a $300 book in Fine (color touch, trimming, etc.) so that the slabbed book will get more money. Of course, I could just lie about the grade and call it a VF, but I like to keep buyers happy, so that isn't an option. that's why we sometimes see two similar looking books and the raw one gets the same or better price. it's usually because the raw book has been given a higher grade by its seller and someone out there has accepted that grade.