• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legion of Superheroes collecting thread
3 3

620 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2022 at 11:19 PM, jmg3637 said:

Just got these back from grading

One is a 3.8  and the other is an 8.0  Neither one restored.

adv247c2.jpg

adv247.jpg

No matter how many times I see that cover, it blows me away.  You instantly want to know what's going on in the story.  And there's such a mix of "this is where it all began" along with things being subtly wrong for how we later know the characters.

One of the rare books where a book is key for the contents and a genuine classic cover on its own terms.

And both of those copies are a lot nicer than mine!

On 1/27/2022 at 7:10 AM, jmg3637 said:

a few more of the early Adventure  LSH issues.  For some reason  267  would not upload

adv290.jpg

adv293.jpg

adv300.jpg

These covers capture the very essence of why we collect Legion books. If you are tuned in to this you will have a personal selection of Legion tales that will be yours for life.

Edited by steelcity

I am not sure how many  of these stories I actually  read.  my collecting began much later.  I believe my first issue  was Starfinger  and I had to wait a full month and crosscountry  vacation trip after 6th grade

my original run went from 335  to 386  a few issues  after Supergirl  took over the comic  coupled with the increase from 12 to 15 cents.  

This was the first series that I tried and succeeded in getting virtually every issue in the run.

btw  the issues  with the green dot is a system I came up with to ID my original comics  when I got back into collecting in the late 80s

Adventure 335_zpsnb5kln0o.jpg

Adventure 335 bc_zpspwu2w4mt.jpg

Adventure 336 bc_zpsvqymto9v.jpg

Adventure 336_zpsa6dvumsl.jpg

On 1/29/2022 at 4:23 PM, jmg3637 said:

There must be a thread  for NON LSH  Silver Age Adventures.  Until I find it Ill just post LSH  here

I thought that they took over the series at 300  even if they were not on the cover for a few of those issues

Adventure 301.jpg

Adventure 302.jpg

Adventure 303.jpg

Adventure 304.jpg

Adventure 305.jpg

Adventure 306 bc.jpg

Adventure 306.jpg

Adventure 307 bc.jpg

Adventure 307.jpg

Always nice to see Legion collections. As far as non Legion Adventures are concerned I don’t think anyone will mind if you want to post your copies here.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:23 AM, jmg3637 said:

There must be a thread  for NON LSH  Silver Age Adventures.  Until I find it Ill just post LSH  here

Here ya go:

On 1/30/2022 at 3:21 PM, ttfitz said:

Here ya go:

Thanks for the link.   I will check it out  and post there.  The 210  was one of the few DC keys from the silver age that eluded me.  Missed a good shot at one  and still regret it.  The other one was Showcase 22

Adventure 308 bc.jpg

Adventure 308.jpg

Adventure 309 bc.jpg

Adventure 309.jpg

Adventure 310 bc.jpg

Adventure 310.jpg

Adventure 311 bc.jpg

Adventure 311.jpg

Adventure 312 bc.jpg

Adventure 312.jpg

On 2/27/2022 at 4:02 PM, jmg3637 said:

Nobody even commented on the Death of lightning lad issue.  The legion seemed much more real than other series  because they actually had characters die and for the most part REMAIN dead

Good point.

On 3/8/2022 at 10:50 PM, jmg3637 said:

Long Live the Legion

I gave up new comics at the start of the pandemic.  I think the then current incarnation had also completed its run,  Did it ever restart again?

The run that started around then ran 12 issues, had a 2 issue "Future State" tie-in, then was gone for about 8 months before coming back just now with a JLA vs. LSH series, the 2nd of 6 issues shipped this week.

One of these years I keep meaning to just re-read the entire LSH series from Adventure 247 to now.

On 3/9/2022 at 2:43 AM, OtherEric said:

One of these years I keep meaning to just re-read the entire LSH series from Adventure 247 to now.

My local comic shop manager has a thing each August called the 100 Back Issues a Week Challenge, where, you guessed it, you have to read 100 back issues each week for 5 weeks. In 2020 I decided to devote part of it to the Legion, and read the complete Adventure Comics run (as well as the assorted early "appearances" in other titles), the issues of Action Comics where it moved for a short period, and then the first half dozen Superboy issues. Highly recommended for a Legion fan - that Shooter run at the end of Adventure was classic.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:46 AM, ttfitz said:

My local comic shop manager has a thing each August called the 100 Back Issues a Week Challenge, where, you guessed it, you have to read 100 back issues each week for 5 weeks. In 2020 I decided to devote part of it to the Legion, and read the complete Adventure Comics run (as well as the assorted early "appearances" in other titles), the issues of Action Comics where it moved for a short period, and then the first half dozen Superboy issues. Highly recommended for a Legion fan - that Shooter run at the end of Adventure was classic.

(thumbsu

I think most Legion fans are fans because of either the Shooter run or the Cockrum/Grell run (or both).  I discovered the Cockrum run first and then worked my way backward.

On 3/11/2022 at 2:21 AM, tth2 said:

(thumbsu

I think most Legion fans are fans because of either the Shooter run or the Cockrum/Grell run (or both).  I discovered the Cockrum run first and then worked my way backward.

We are probably pretty similar in age - my first encounter with the Legion was an old copy of Superboy #147, and I got into the book when they took over the title in the 190s. Picked up the odd issue from the Shooter era along the way as a kid - I think I had the middle issue of the Starfinger story, took me a while to figure THAT one out.