• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK #181 CGC 9.9!!! DAMN!

31 posts in this topic

Hot, damned... thats gott'a be like, what... a ten grand book at least. Amazing stuff out there still left to be graded, which brings me to a question... I live in a medium sized city, big but not really that big, but I have been hearing about and seeing some of the most stunning collections of comics in this fair berg as of late and I cannot believe the type of stuff that CGC has not graded, I'm talk'n Action#1's, Suspense#3's and all that good high grade key stuff that makes your house value look like a candy purchase at the movie theatre. People talk about how CGC is going to eventually run out of an industry and that the really prime collections and comics have been almost all been graded, but from what I'm seeing and with things like this Hulk#181 9.9 and piles of other stuff popping up, it seems like the well is not coming up dry any time soon. Your thoughts?

I did some research on that hulk 181 9.9 awhile back. Ideal Collectables actually had it and they said they sold it to one of their regular investors. They said he has it in a vault right now and it will probably never be sold again on the "open" market. I suppose we can look for this one to show up in some heritage or sotheby auctions some years from now.

Both of the cgc 9.8s were up on eBay a while ago. The details are a little sketchy in my memory but I believe the top bid on one was about 8K and 11K on the other. Neither met reserve. Safe to say the 9.9 would be well over 10K. I would not be surprised if the price was over 20K.

I just threw-up when I saw those hyper-high grade silver-age monsters... but the AF 15 really made me yak!!!

BTW: that Hulk 181 has been on the census for over a year now..... I would not be surprised if that was one of the bronze-age books from the pile CI left at the campground... shocked.gif

I would not be surprised if that was one of the bronze-age books from the pile CI left at the campground...

Don't laugh, as a lot of the Hulk 178-183 issues (apparently not a good seller back then) were in those multi-packs and I think I even left some sealed or at least in the plastic pack. If some collector picked them up, they might have gone right into a box and then to CGC.

Some of my GS X-Men #1's from the same multi-packs are absolutely pristine.

Comicwiz, the CGC 9.6 AF15 was sold by JP to one of his currency clients I believe, for the price of $160,000 approx 2 years ago. For some reason, it didn't hit the census for a while. Around the same time, Showcase and I believe BlazingBob sold a CGC 9.4 copy for approx. $87,000 (the one from the "Diamond-pedigree"). Roughly half the price of the 9.6. I stupidly hesitated at $90K quoted me by Dan Greenhalgh at the time and I'm sorry to this day as the 9.4 is worth double that amount and the 9.6, until a 9.8 shows up (which it WON'T because JP, I imagine, most probably ASSURED his high profile client that it was the best existing copy) is probably at least somewhere between a half a million and a million dollar book at this point.

I'd be curious to see if the 9.9 example of Hulk 181, like the two 9.8s has a vicious miswrap as well, a good deal of back cover margin showing on the left edge, one of the two at a definite slant.

Well, Ideal Collectibles had a price list for all their books. The price for it was blacked out with a marker but you could still see the price of $25,000 under it. Don't know if that was the official price or not! confused.gif

..........left at the camp ground??? .........comics and camping just don't go together

Hey, it wasn't like I purposefully brought my entire collection; it was more the fact that this was during a long-term summer trip and I had been given gobs of cash to satisfy my comic reading and had purchased all the issues from the stands, and then graduated into multi-packs.

Even though I lost one stash, my multi-pack binges did yield lots of pristine keys issues after that (GS X-Men #1 for example) so I'm not complaining. It was just those multiples of Hulk 181 that got me. confused.gif