• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which book will follow Hulk 1?

Which will follow Hulk 1?  

495 members have voted

1. 1. Which will follow Hulk 1?

61 posts in this topic

Unfortunately with marvel not supporting ff, and one terrible movie after another, I see ff 1 being stagnant and/or declining for the foreseeable future. Not that it's a cheap book in grade as is.

Right now only one book has the perfect combination of being relatively rare in higher grade, marvel support, affordability compared to the others on the list, and a HUGE movie that will likely shatter records everywhere, thus continuing to expose new and young eyeballs to the title, and that book is Avengers 1. It really is a no-brainer. (thumbs u

-J.

FF 1. Undervalued right now.

My heart hopes you are right. I just don't see it.

This should be the big book, at one time it was. This is the one that started the revolution.

I think more highly of the first two movies than most. This next one is a wildcard.

I have to say that I am surprised so many are voting for SC 4- A book that has already seen a significant run-up in value, almost in tandem with hulk 1. I'm also surprised so many feel as though FF 1 can make a come back. I'm not so sure about that. It is very likely firmly entrenched as the "Number 3 Book" at this point. The most surprising thing of all though is the number of people who are actually taking the time to vote "I Don't Know". lol

-J.

Yes I agree FF #1 is book that will be flat for a while. Marvel killed the book in hopes that Fox will eventually be giving the rights back to Marvel/Disney movie studios.

Books IMO that are one rise:

JIM 83

SC #4

TOS 39

Good books to buy with non-movie fraud surcharge yet:

FF #1

ASM 1

Avengers #4

Books bend over:

AF 15

Hulk 1

The skyrocketing prices on Hulk #1 counter the argument that it's movie success that drives values to appreciate on first appearance keys.

What FF#1 has going for it that won't 'depreciate' is (1) scarcity compared with other major Marvel keys; (2) historical status as the book that started the Marvel age of comics; and (3) it's the first issue of the world's greatest comic magazine (ok, maybe it's arguably only the silver age's greatest comic magazine). It didn't get my vote as the most likely to follow Hulk #1, but its' value should be fine going forward.

If you want to own Stan and Jack's iconic creation that revolutionized the industry, this is it.

The skyrocketing prices on Hulk #1 counter the argument that it's movie success that drives values to appreciate on first appearance keys.

What FF#1 has going for it that won't change is (1) relative scarcity compared with other major Marvel keys; (2) it's the comic that started the Marvel age of comics; and (3) it's the first issue of the world's greatest comic magazine (ok, maybe it's only the silver age's greatest comic magazine).

Bob you are smoking crack.

Eagles loss to the Cardinals make more sense than what you just said. :baiting:

FF #1 is the cheapest Marvel major key left with no movie surcharge in site or hype in the foreseeable future.

What FF#1 has going for it that won't change is (1) relative scarcity compared with other major Marvel keys; (2) it's the comic that started the Marvel age of comics; and (3) it's the first issue of the world's greatest comic magazine (ok, maybe it's only the silver age's greatest comic magazine).

FF #1 is the cheapest Marvel major key left with no movie surcharge in site or hype in the foreseeable future.

Eagles game was crushing, John. And I gave up dabbling with drugs decades ago. ;)

Your frustration over the game must have clouded your vision so that you missed the point that skyrocketing Hulk #1 values are based on things other than a movie breakthrough. You know, like scarcity and a shocking record sale price for a high grade copy that floated all boats (grades).

Eagles game was crushing, John.

Your frustration with it must have clouded your vision to where you missed the point that skyrocketing Hulk #1 values are based on things other than a movie breakthrough.

That :censored: fumble cost us the game. Good game though but a tough loss.

Hulk #1 is a mixture of: (which I know you know already)

1. scarcity (esp. 6.0 or higher)

2. Movies

3. New Disney collectors who have a ton of $

4. Major players/dealers in this hobby pulling the strings a tad. ;)

FF 1. Undervalued right now.

I wouldn't say it is undervalued more so it just a good time to buy one if you need one for your collection.

Book will not get a substantial price bump till Marvel studios gets their rights back which they just might considering the new FF movie looks like a razzie award already.

Unfortunately with marvel not supporting ff, and one terrible movie after another, I see ff 1 being stagnant and/or declining for the foreseeable future. Not that it's a cheap book in grade as is.

Right now only one book has the perfect combination of being relatively rare in higher grade, marvel support, affordability compared to the others on the list, and a HUGE movie that will likely shatter records everywhere, thus continuing to expose new and young eyeballs to the title, and that book is Avengers 1. It really is a no-brainer. (thumbs u

-J.

Jay you and I are cool. BUT avengers 1 (great book) is in the same category as AMS #1 or other Key books that do not have the original 1st appearances (team books)

FF #1 and X-men #1 have alot of firsts. All are keys for sure but if I had to pick one right now it would be :

FF #1 then X-men #1 MHO !

-J.

Jay you and I are cool. BUT avengers 1 (great book) is in the same category as AMS #1 or other Key books that do not have the original 1st appearances (team books)

FF #1 and X-men #1 have alot of firsts. All are keys for sure but if I had to pick one right now it would be :

True avengers 1 does not feature the first appearance of any single character but it was the first time all of Marvel's top heroes appeared in one book together, and the title has survived various incarnations and membership rotations through the decades. As I said if the GotG movie can lift all those books out of absolute BA obscurity, the sky is the limit for avengers 1 IMO, especially when you compare its relative value in higher grades to a book like BB 28. The avengers will be Marvel's tent pole franchise movie wise for years to come. As it stands now, relative to how important it is to Marvel's master plan, it is a cheap book with lots of room to grow. :angel:

-J.

-J.

True avengers 1 does not feature the first appearance of any single character but it was the first time all of Marvel's top heroes appeared in one book together, and the title has survived various incarnations and membership rotations through the decades. As I said if the GotG movie can lift all those books out of absolute BA obscurity, the sky is the limit for avengers 1 IMO, especially when you compare its relative value in higher grades to a book like BB 28. The avengers will be Marvel's tent pole franchise movie wise for years to come. As it stands now, relative to how important it is to Marvel's master plan, it is a cheap book with lots of room to grow. :angel:

-J.

Agreed,Avengers #1 is a book with infinite possibilities. (thumbs u

Interesting that SC 22 has no votes. Are we saying that the first SA appearance of the Green Lantern has no room for growth? Correct me if I'm wrong but Hal Jordan is one of the benchmarks of the DC SA. Are we attributing a lack of interest in this book to a lackluster film? Besides, how can the first SA appearance of the Flash take off and leave SC 22 far behind? Especially when the Green Lantern has historically been the more popular of the two characters. Granted SC 4 is a scarcer book but SC 22 is lightweight when it comes to finding a nice presenting mid grade copy with nice pq. Sometimes the book that no one's talking about later surprises many.

Are we attributing a lack of interest in this book to a lackluster film?

Yes. The stench from the GL film was strong and put a damper on this book -- for now. Cf. how the 2 FF films saddled the growth of FF#1. Having said that SC22 will come back, just not any time soon. The GL movie isn't projected to be released until 2020 -- half a decade from now.

PS, great thread you started.

Interesting that SC 22 has no votes. Are we saying that the first SA appearance of the Green Lantern has no room for growth? Correct me if I'm wrong but Hal Jordan is one of the benchmarks of the DC SA. Are we attributing a lack of interest in this book to a lackluster film? Besides, how can the first SA appearance of the Flash take off and leave SC 22 far behind? Especially when the Green Lantern has historically been the more popular of the two characters. Granted SC 4 is a scarcer book but SC 22 is lightweight when it comes to finding a nice presenting mid grade copy with nice pq. Sometimes the book that no one's talking about later surprises many.

If the questions is which of those books over the next few years will see the highest percentage in growth the answer is almost certainly SC 22. One of the toughest books on the list, one of the toughest books in grade on the list as well as one of the toughest book to find a presentable copy of. Combine that with the fact that grade for grade it sell at roughly half of the rest of the average book on that list it is a no brainer.

A year in a half ago BB28 roughly doubled overnight, 6 months ago SC 4 almost doubled over night. I expect at some point people will see how obviously undervalued the book is and it will skyrocket in price.

Are we attributing a lack of interest in this book to a lackluster film?

Yes. The stench from the GL film was strong and put a damper on this book -- for now. Cf. how the 2 FF films saddled the growth of FF#1. Having said that SC22 will come back, just not any time soon. The GL movie isn't projected to be released until 2020 -- half a decade from now.

PS, great thread you started.

Thank you (thumbs u

Always interested in seeing how these books move in today's market.

If the questions is which of those books over the next few years will see the highest percentage in growth the answer is almost certainly SC 22. One of the toughest books on the list, one of the toughest books in grade on the list as well as one of the toughest book to find a presentable copy of. Combine that with the fact that grade for grade it sell at roughly half of the rest of the average book on that list it is a no brainer.

A year in a half ago BB28 roughly doubled overnight, 6 months ago SC 4 almost doubled over night. I expect at some point people will see how obviously undervalued the book is and it will skyrocket in price.

Great point! One thing to add to this concerning presentable copies of certain DC keys. Is the market for presentable copies of the major SA DC keys an extremely small one when compared to Marvel's? Showcase 4, 22, and BB 28 are tough enough to find but grabbing nice presentable copies make the challenge much greater and demand higher prices. Perhaps the keys that follow Hulk 1 might be those that are scarce DC presentable keys?

Great point! One thing to add to this concerning presentable copies of certain DC keys. Is the market for presentable copies of the major SA DC keys an extremely small one when compared to Marvel's? Showcase 4, 22, and BB 28 are tough enough to find but grabbing nice presentable copies make the challenge much greater and demand higher prices. Perhaps the keys that follow Hulk 1 might be those that are scarce DC presentable keys?

You all present very good arguments, I just want them all.DC,Marvel,indies,all I say! :devil: