• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In which issue did Powerman and Iron-fist meet?

9 posts in this topic

Power Man 48

#48 - 50 are aces, but #50 is THE cover...

Power_Man_and_Iron_Fist_Vol_1_50.jpg

If that was the cover to 48, it would be a much more desirable key, methinks...

While the character on the cover is significant, pre-CGC the cover did not matter as much. People actually opened the comic to read and look at the contents back then. I'm not discounting the importance of a character on the cover as much as I am advocating enjoying the contents.

Power Man 48

#48 - 50 are aces, but #50 is THE cover...

Power_Man_and_Iron_Fist_Vol_1_50.jpg

If that was the cover to 48, it would be a much more desirable key, methinks...

While the character on the cover is significant, pre-CGC the cover did not matter as much. People actually opened the comic to read and look at the contents back then. I'm not discounting the importance of a character on the cover as much as I am advocating enjoying the contents.

I agree...48 - 50 are aces: in 48 and 49, John Byrne comes aboard to wrap up a 3-parter written by Claremont, and then Byrne hangs around for another good yarn in 50, which is the birth of the Power Man & Iron Fist team. And that cover on 50 mattered a lot to me when I saw it in the 7-11 back in 1978 -- a killer from Dave Cockrum! So for me at least, that's the book to have...inside and out!

Like you I prefer #50. But it seems first appearances usually are more desirable, except in the case of Wolverine.

Is the first appearance of Iron Fist in the series or the actual team-up more significant? Or is #48 really the beginnings of the team-up that continued into #50 where they officially become a team? In #48, they fight because of a misunderstanding (so typical of Marvel) and then in #49 they team-up for an assault on Seagate to rescue Luke's friends. #48 is where they actually meet and the events that follow leads up to the announcement of the team-up in #50. Is #48 really the first part of the origin of the team-up? I need to pull out my copies and re-read them.

Like you I prefer #50. But it seems first appearances usually are more desirable, except in the case of Wolverine.

Is the first appearance of Iron Fist in the series or the actual team-up more significant? Or is #48 really the beginnings of the team-up that continued into #50 where they officially become a team? In #48, they fight because of a misunderstanding (so typical of Marvel) and then in #49 they team-up for an assault on Seagate to rescue Luke's friends. #48 is where they actually meet and the events that follow leads up to the announcement of the team-up in #50. Is #48 really the first part of the origin of the team-up? I need to pull out my copies and re-read them.

I guess it depends what your definition of team is. As a "team" they are called Heroes for Hire, which they are not referred to as until #54.

I guess it depends what your definition of team is. As a "team" they are called Heroes for Hire, which they are not referred to as until #54.

My experience selling these books is that collectors want all three, but 50 will always be the first to sell. Covers sell and great covers sell great. And 50 has always been treated as a "1st issue" of sort where PM and IF become a team. Adopting the name of "Heroes for Hire" in 54 isn't viewed as a first, they had been working together 4 issues by that point.