• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's play "Guess the CGC Grade"....!

58 posts in this topic

Actually, because of the badly damaged upper right and lower rightcorner, I was going to go in at 6.0 again. This issue also has a black marker scrawled on the cover. CGC grades Golden in mysterious ways, so only because of your "hint" and the mysterious ways Golden Age is graded, I'll go in at 7.25. grin.gif

"Badly damaged"? Boy, you guys must be used to your 1 week old virgin books. You realize someone bought that book in March of 1941? It pre-dates Pearl Harbor by 9 months! Geesh. I'll admit there's a fold/crease at the upper right, and very light impact on the bottom right, which will keep this book out of the VF/NM range. But c'mon. Badly damaged?

It's better than 7.25, which isn't even a vaild CGC grade.

Seriously though guys...I'm only doing this to give you example of golden age stuff that was graded. That Pep #1 is upstairs in the "secret hiding room", and even I think that book is just about a VG/Fine. I would call the Pep 15 a VF or VF minus.

The Pep 15 is a solid VF

8.0? Just what I was gonna say! An impact ding to the top right, and a bit of corner wear to the bottom right...

The majority of posters on these boards think CGC is more lenient on Golden Age, and while I think they are a little more lenient (bindery chips/tears, writing/arrival dates, page/cover quality?), it's not that significant and I think the majority of "Golden Age overgrades" are simply outliers on the average. I assume everyone saw the Batman 400(?) CGC graded a 9.8 with the terrible bindery tears? I recently posted pix of an Iron Fist 1 9.6 that had noticable (albeit teeny-tiny) corner creases, and there are just as many "overgraded" silver/bronze/modern books as there are gold. Until you've actually held and/or attempted to grade GA, it's easy to criticize the grades CGC assigns them, but the grading criteria for golden age books are different out of necessity (due to the different construction, materials, and types of defects). There have been numerous threads on this, such as one of my favorites (the scans are gone, but the idea is still there):

Grading the Golden Age II

Which was an offshoot of the original:

Grading the Golden Age

In summary, I would be curious to hear if "CGC grades Golden Age more Leniently" camp, and those espousing the undergrades above, are actually golden age collectors or not?? grin.gif

That's why I started this thread, because the links were gone from the other one. Obviously I collect GA so I don't think CGC is too lenient on golden age. Think about everything that Pep 1/15 or Zip 20 went through to make to 2003. It avoided all the paper drives, and being passed down from generation to generation.

I'll make another analogy. Comparing books that are 2 weeks old that are slabbed is like comparing skin texture from a newborn to a 60 year old person. Should they really be compared 100 percent the same?

"Send up scans of your high grade stuff prior to the War...love to see it. Not stuff you rip off of heritage, but stuff you own...."

Wow, take it easy. I was just kidding. I thought that was apparent, guess not. Just for the record, I've never stolen a scan or even implied that a scan that wasn't mine was. I don't own many GA books, and the ones I have look like they came from Hiroshima. So even your books that were at Pearl Harbor would look good in comparison to mine. wink.gif

"A little envious perhaps........?"

No. I'm not really into many GA books, they just don't "do it" for me. But I can appreciate a nice high grade book from any era even if it's not what I'm into. If I some how got my hands on any of the books posted in this thread I’d sell them and buy Silver Age books that I’m interested in. I guess from a “how much their worth” stand point I’m “envious”, but not because I want the book, just the cash I could get from selling it.

Sorry, your "light impact" to me looked like a small piece was missing lower right. Also, it looked like it may have broken off? Dry in that area? Loss of moisture? I thought it might have broken off because it doesn't look like a tear. (Have some compassion, we're only looking at a scan, not the original).

Also, I know that 7.25 is not a CGC grade, but I only posted it because I really couldn't get past a 6.0 because of the corners, the writing on the cover and you already saying it was under-graded. Yeah I know it's old and bought in 194 whatever and I know CGC would be more generous on the grade but to me defects are defects. A CGC Grade? Ok, 7.5. But, not any better than a 6.0 - 6.5 in Silver or Bronze Age. Great book and one I'd be proud to call my own. smile.gif