• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's play "Guess the CGC Grade"....!

58 posts in this topic

btw - how do people modify their profiles?

Look at the top of the page. You will see My Home. Click on that. (be sure your logged in).

At the bottom of that page will be a section called Main Configuration with three categories. Just click the Edit link next to the categories you want to change.

4.5 but I'm still learning a lot.

However,split grades have got to GO!

It's either one or the other or,you split the grade between the cover and the interior.,like record collectors,OR you say "VF w/ OWL so-and-so number". "F/FV" is a hem-haw grade and does not show much accuracy.

There also needs to be a "defects" scale set up so you can add them up to get to the final grade of a book.

For example most everyone knows that a slight tear or corner fold would reduce a NM to NM- (more or less).And I saw an example in Overstreets grading guide of an otherwise NM reduced all the way down to Poor because the book in question looked like it had been cut by Stevie Wonder.

Or,what if the comic in question has every defect imaginable on the cover(except for the "Stevie Wonder" cuts),yet the interior pages are as white and even as the day they were born?

What kind of numerical scale can we apply to examples like the above,because the above voices questions to me that still haven't been answered enough in order for me to become the kind of grader that I wish to be.I'm sure this applies to some of you as well.

There also needs to be a "defects" scale set up so you can add them up to get to the final grade of a book.

Do you have the Overstreet Grading Guide? They have a scale that displays exactly what you are asking for. It's a line graph showing the Grade and the minimum/maximum # of defects allowed in a particular grade.

Welcome to the boards, by the way! smile.gif

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Would that be the very latest edition of the Overstreet Grading Guide-The real nice one with all color for all grades?(As opposed to the copy I have *now*,which was mostly B&W w/ the Flash cover circa Showcase #4)I don't think the scale exists in that copy,so I'll have to pick up the new guide.

BTW support your local *used* book store.Thats where I picked up my first copy of the GG for only $4.95!! wink.gif