• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does HA bidding work?

27 posts in this topic

They certainly don't exactly make it easy to be their customer...

The don't at all. Ebay and ComicConnect are so easy to use and user-friendly, right from first usage. No gimmicks. The new HA live bidding format that they instituted a few weeks ago has so much clutter.

Yeah, that's a bit of a misnomer. "Internet bidding" in this case just means the first "session" of bidding. You are absolutely free to bid over the internet during the floor session as well. It just looks very different, and your first time it will be confusing. There are several tabs at the top, and when it starts, it starts you on the wrong tab. You have to click past a video that's just a general-interest intro to heritage, then click through the tabs to see what each one "means". Also, be warned - when a lot you are tracking or have bid on is (I think) six lots away from being the current lot, a LOUD bell goes off. Scared the spoon out of me first few times.

Ok, thanks for the help..

They certainly don't exactly make it easy to be their customer...

It's actually really easy if you just ignore the live component. You can just bid now, whatever you want to bid and then log in after the auction is over to see if you've won. You don't need to take part in the live auction at all. I've only rarely taken part in the live component and only then when I really cared about a book. Most of the time I put in bids some time after the auction opens and that's that.

CC's system is definitely the best IMO. HA is usable, but, yeah, there's a learning curve.

The live bidding format has been around a long time, but they only used to use it on their big quarterly auctions. Now they use it for all of their auctions (well, at least comics. I don't know about their other stuff.)

Yes, it's convoluted and confusing the first few times. But, you might remember, you probably felt that way about ebay the first few times too. It's different. But it makes sense once you have figured it out.

Ok, thanks. I think I'll give it a go one of these days. :)

I think you will find watching the live bidding during the signature auctions to be fun.

Some of these auctions end with no live bids (meaning they are won by people who submitted bids before the live bidding begins) but most auctions are won by people bidding live.

There aren't a lot of bargains in HA auctions, particularly the signature auctions, but I've picked up a number of difficult to find books.

Yeah, Heritage Signature Auctions are NOT for bargain hunters. There are a lot of eyes on each and every one of those auctions.

And, for sure, watching the live auctions can be awesome. Watching the million dollar Detective 27 was a blast.

So the internet bidding is still counted during the live auction?

For example, let's say I bid a max of $500, and the internet bidding portion ends with me as the high bid at $150. During the live component, will Heritage continue to bid for me up to my max of $500?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure your bid carries forward in the logical way, but I don't think I have ever tested that. (I usually just wait till the live session to bid.) But, just based on their description on the "secret maximum bid" box (and the bid protection thing next to it), that description really only seems to make sense if your bid carries forward as you would expect. But, like I said, I don't think I have ever tried it.

So the internet bidding is still counted during the live auction?

For example, let's say I bid a max of $500, and the internet bidding portion ends with me as the high bid at $150. During the live component, will Heritage continue to bid for me up to my max of $500?

Thanks.

Eggs-actly! (thumbs u