• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are reasonable prices for pence, .30 & .35 price variants?

97 posts in this topic

The Canadian DC “Price Variants” I have seen date from around 1990. The Marvel one's I have seen date from the 1980's.

These are the US comics produced by DC/Marvel US but with a Canadian Price on them. This generally only effects a small number of copies which were distributed to Canadaian Newsstand’s for sale. Typically copies distributed to Canadian Comics shops in this period had the “Tri Priced” (Canadian, UK, US) direct edition versions.

The earlier Candian “Whites” were Canadian Reprints rather than US comics in that they were separate printings produced by domestic Candian publishers like Simcoe in B&W.

So which ones were you talking about? If it the 80/90s comics...then my original comment still applies. It's a crock...

Jim

People also keep telling me that Canadian Priced copies are worth less than the US priced ones. That may be true but it’s funny I can’t actually find any for sale online at under guide, if they can be found at all.

That's a crock...most collectors don't even know they own Canadian variants much less be able to separate pricing between them and the US versions...

Jim

They are very hard to find, and sell for a premium, especially Spider-Man and X-Men books. I have a Canadian priced ASM 238, 239, 251, 252 and 274, FF 250 and X-Men 158.

People also keep telling me that Canadian Priced copies are worth less than the US priced ones. That may be true but it’s funny I can’t actually find any for sale online at under guide, if they can be found at all.

That's a crock...most collectors don't even know they own Canadian variants much less be able to separate pricing between them and the US versions...

Jim

They are very hard to find, and sell for a premium, especially Spider-Man and X-Men books. I have a Canadian priced ASM 238, 239, 251, 252 and 274, FF 250 and X-Men 158.

I have hundreds of Canadian priced books.... acclaim.gif

Should I take the time to pull them all and offer them as a variant lot on Ebay? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Whitman(Direct Sale) variants shouldn't run you any more than the regular editions but finding them can be a pain since most listings don't give you a clue. Good Luck.

That's the way I have been aproaching these. Like I said, just buying lots of like 10-20 or so and hoping to get lucky.

Just hit a nice lot.

Got about 8 whitmans (including a Kull 23)

Overall a sweet little score 200 books for $56 after shipping.

Got a total of 27 Conans I need (whitman, direct, and newstand versions)

15 SSOC I needed

A Conan GN I didn't have yet

Plus 15 other books I wanted (all moderns Elric, Hawkmoon and Dune stuff)

And I end up with a little over 100 books for trade bate.

Wish I could find more auctions like that!

In an old thread here, Canadian Kevin Boyd posted this on the 80's Candian Price variants:

"During the 1980's, as the gap between the US dollar and the Canadian dollar continued to widen, separate pricing for Canadian editions were introduced with comics that have a cover date of: OCT 1982 (some DC's cover dated SEP 1982 also have Canadian variants like Batman 363).

There are no Canadian price variants before these books that were published in the summer of 1982.

Direct Market versions include US, Can and UK prices.

Canadian Newsstand versions have only the 75 Cent price tag but are otherwise identical to the US newsstand version (priced at 60 cents).

Pricing fluctuates for Annuals and special issues.

If a comic was distributed to the newsstands in Canada there is a Canadian variant. So you are guaranteed to find variants of books like ASM, Avengers, X-Men, Captain America, Hulk, Conan, Batman, Superman, Action, Detective, Titans, etc.

Books that were direct only at that time will not have newsstand variants."

Does anyone know when this practice stopped?

Regards Earl.

Hey Beyonder did you try to sell any of your Canadian Price Variants on e-bay? Was there any interest? Did you get any sort of a premium price for them?

Regards Earl.

Forgot all about it. foreheadslap.gif

I may go through my childhood collection over the next few days, and see exactly what books I bought off the rack for 75 cents.... cloud9.gif

which are the canadian price variants among marvels?

in the 40s/50s the canadian variants are usually worth less because they're usually reprints and often of poorer quality

I don't know if that's the case with 60s and later marvels.

Kind of a cool side note, my LCS (good friend of mine) had a $0.15 Candian variant of Batman #2 pass through the store (about 2 decades ago)...only known copy listed on page #408 of OS guide...didn't realize they had these variants so far back...

yet the canadian version of superboy #1 I think is less than the u.s. version. or it was when i saw one up a couple of years ago,. i bid a hundred or so as a "what the heck". i think iwent for like 50-75% of OPG on the u.s. version.

Does Marvel or DC still distribute comics to the Canadian Newsstand? Newsstand distribution stopped in the UK a number of years ago, circa late 90's.

Regards Earl.

Bought this at my local variety store when it came out. thumbsup2.gif

asm36vol.jpg

Will do. Being in the UK obviously makes things easier but I do like to both the pence and cents of some of the 70's titles I collect. I am not a major Marvel fan but I have a full set of stuff like Ms Marvel in both cents editions and pence variants.

Like a lot of collectors I avoided the Pence Variants that the US distributed to the UK at first but when you have filled most of the runs you are interested in it’s fun to track down all the variants that exist and truly get that full set of all editions.

That’s why I am starting to look into the variants that the US distributed to Canada.

Regards Earl.

Will do. Being in the UK obviously makes things easier but I do like to both the pence and cents of some of the 70's titles I collect. I am not a major Marvel fan but I have a full set of stuff like Ms Marvel in both cents editions and pence variants.

Like a lot of collectors I avoided the Pence Variants that the US distributed to the UK at first but when you have filled most of the runs you are interested in it’s fun to track down all the variants that exist and truly get that full set of all editions.

That’s why I am starting to look into the variants that the US distributed to Canada.

Regards Earl.

Like this? poke2.gif

DD196.jpg

Found this pence copy at my LCS a while back. thumbsup2.gif

0MS.jpg

someone should tell Mile High that the pence variants are worthless...they're asking a 40-50% premium for them.

i've got a couple Byrne X-Men pence variants (119 & 125 i think) that i have no idea where i picked them up from

someone should tell Mile High that the pence variants are worthless...they're asking a 40-50% premium for them.

i've got a couple Byrne X-Men pence variants (119 & 125 i think) that i have no idea where i picked them up from

It has never made inherent sense to me why Pence copies are "worth" less in the marketplace, when other variant copies of other books are worth considerably more. My understanding is that Pence copies of Marvels from the silver and bronze age aren't reprints. They were printed at the same time as their US counterparts and the only difference is within the price block. In all other respects they are identical to their US counterparts. They were printed in vastly lower numbers (about 2% of the press run according to Goldust40) and had to travel farther. Thus, finding ultra high grade Pence copies can be next to impossible.

And yet, many people avoid them like the plague. foreheadslap.gif

I think that the reason for this is that many people have long thought (erroneously) that Pence copies are reprints.

I think that the reason for this is that many people have long thought (erroneously) that Pence copies are reprints.

Nope, all collectors love consistency and having pence copies littered through your standard priced collection is the antithesis of a basic collector mentality.