• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANTASTIC FOUR #48 CLUB : THE INTERGALACTIC BEACH CLUB II
11 11

332 posts in this topic

On 9/18/2021 at 4:03 PM, Mr bla bla said:

In my book that is a completely insane sale. I would like to see this Heritage result duplicated on another venue please. 

For the collective good of the community, I'm sure someone on the boards that has one will list their copy right away. Whoever you are, thank you in advance.

On 9/18/2021 at 5:58 PM, Pantodude said:

The prior $108K sale was a regular universal 9.8.  This is a SS, which tends to go for more, especially for the keys and esp w/ a nice sig placement, as you noted.  Maybe not the entire story, but should explain some of it.  In other words, if the prior $108K sale was legit, this SS sale does not suprise me too much.  I see the prior sale was Heritage, too, so . . . .  (:

I should clarify that, assuming for the sake of argument that the $108K for the non-SS 9.8 was kosher in June, I was also assuming that the market remained robust for high-grade keys since then.  If that same 9.8 would go for $120-125K now, the $144K for the SS 9.8 was “only” $19-24K more.  That would suggest about a 20% premium, which seems to be in the ballpark with SS premiums I have seen for keys.  

Folks so far have only questioned the repeatability of the $108K Heritage result on other venues and the possibility that there was a bidding war for one of the few 9.8 SS books.  Definitely things to consider.  But however that plays out, an SS premium could explain a significant gap between a non-SS and an SS 9.8 even w/o any bidding war.   

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/10/2021 at 3:27 PM, Venomous72 said:

Yeah :/

This was my best option for the price, it was a pretty good deal.  

On 10/10/2021 at 3:27 PM, Venomous72 said:

Yeah :/

This was my best option for the price, it was a pretty good deal.  

Congrats

The Watcher is kind of a "weird lookin' dude" and has always seemed like a distraction on the cover of Fantastic Four #48, but the Marvel What If... ? series made The Watcher a "living" character rather than just a bulbously-drawn head.

It seems to me that FF #48 gets a slight bump in desirability since even casual movie/streaming non-collector fans can recognize who that weird lookin' dude is now.

On 10/13/2021 at 10:20 AM, valiantman said:

The Watcher is kind of a "weird lookin' dude" and has always seemed like a distraction on the cover of Fantastic Four #48, but the Marvel What If... ? series made The Watcher a "living" character rather than just a bulbously-drawn head.

If you look at the Watchers shown at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 shown below they look VERY much like the Uatu shown on FF 48.  When I first saw Uatu in What If I wondered why he looked so different than the ones previously shown, but eventually it occurred to me that I'm pretty sure they did the same thing with Uatu that they did with Thanos--they made him look like a mix of the classic character and the actor providing his voice, Jeffrey Wright.  His skin tone is darker like Jeffrey Wright's is, and Uatu's face looks like a mix of Jeffrey Wright and the Watchers in the pic below.

owztUpT3Z8JyP4RuYBH5BX.jpg

On 12/2/2021 at 11:31 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Certainly presents very well for a 6.5, at first glance I thought it might be more like a 7.5.

Conservatively graded, but too many creases to be above a FNVF.
It’s a very nice copy in hand, and you have no fear to damage it, as it could be the case with high grades or very low grades (my previous copies were in the GD range and I was afraid to open them!)

On 10/13/2021 at 4:20 PM, valiantman said:

It seems to me that FF #48 gets a slight bump in desirability since even casual movie/streaming non-collector fans can recognize who that weird lookin' dude is now.

Wow! I did not know they did animated cartoons based on 3D computer generated anatomy. Or at least they seem so, very cold and impersonal.
Incredibly ugly, I wonder how a viewer could get affectioned to such a technique of drawing/animation. The characters seem soul-less.

On 12/5/2021 at 6:28 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I spent a decent amount of time thinking the Watcher was Galactus without the head gear :makepoint:

This was after seeing the cover as a youth but before knowing who the Watcher was or getting into reading FF in high school. 

Were you also wondering what everyone on the cover was looking at?  hm