• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANTASTIC FOUR #48 CLUB : THE INTERGALACTIC BEACH CLUB II
11 11

332 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2021 at 7:55 AM, fantastic_four said:

Were you also wondering what everyone on the cover was looking at?  hm

Yeah I figured he was pointing them to where he came from.....don't put any logic to it man, these are just the speculations of a 10 year old only familiar with the cover. FF was one of the last titles I really got to into reading when it became possible to read them online in the 90's when I was in high school. It wasn't too easy to find or afford these big issues at the LCS. The really early ones were impossible and I wasn't about to get into Ebay at that age lol!

Edited by MGsimba77

On 12/6/2021 at 10:15 AM, MGsimba77 said:
On 12/6/2021 at 7:55 AM, fantastic_four said:

Were you also wondering what everyone on the cover was looking at?  hm

Yeah I figured he was pointing them to where he came from...

Ah, that makes sense.  :grin:

What's the indicator on the number label?  Never seen that before...anyone know when CGC started that?  Never seen that Slight/Mod indicator, and what's the thing in parentheses next to it?  I can't tell if it says (B - 2) or (0 - 2).

On 12/11/2021 at 8:54 AM, fantastic_four said:

What's the indicator on the number label?  Never seen that before...anyone know when CGC started that?  Never seen that Slight/Mod indicator, and what's the thing in parentheses next to it?  I can't tell if it says (B - 2) or (0 - 2).

It indicates the amount of restoration that CGC believes has been done to the book. I'm pretty sure that designation is B-2. This means that CGC considers this to be fine restoration, with Slight/Moderate work done on the issue.

Read more here:

Restoration Grading Scale | CGC (cgccomics.com)

Edited by Math Teacher

On 12/11/2021 at 4:58 PM, Math Teacher said:

It indicates the amount of restoration that CGC believes has been done to the book. I'm pretty sure that designation is B-2. This means that CGC considers this to be fine restoration, with Slight/Moderate work done on the issue.

Read more here:

Right . In this case it means a very small amount of pen ink on the cover where someone made a half attempt to fill in a 3/4 inch crease.

I get a massive discount for less ink on the cover than someone randomly writing their name on it. 

On 12/11/2021 at 4:11 PM, speedcake said:

Right . In this case it means a very small amount of pen ink on the cover where someone made a half attempt to fill in a 3/4 inch crease.

I get a massive discount for less ink on the cover than someone randomly writing their name on it. 

I think the difference, at least from the point of view from CGC, is on your book someone was trying to improve the appearance of your book. This is the textbook definition of restoration. Writing your name (or stamping your name) is not the same.

On 12/11/2021 at 6:19 PM, Math Teacher said:

I think the difference, at least from the point of view from CGC, is on your book someone was trying to improve the appearance of your book. This is the textbook definition of restoration. Writing your name (or stamping your name) is not the same.

Of course. I’m only saying that in some cases, the result is the same: A little pen ink on the cover.

On 12/11/2021 at 4:58 PM, Math Teacher said:
On 12/11/2021 at 9:54 AM, fantastic_four said:

Read more here:

Great, thanks!  I have a few hundred slabs, but haven't bought any or paid close attention to the market since 2010.  I remember Matt Nelson coming up with a proposed restoration grading scale back around 2008 or 2009, so my initial guess would be that CGC adopted some version of that after he went to work for them, but I didn't even realize they had done it until now.  I'll compare the one that page you linked that says they adopted in 2014 to the original one Matt devised at some point.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 1/18/2022 at 12:38 PM, F For Fake said:

My humble, raw submission. Picked up at my LCS last week. Boy, I had to pay a lot more for it last week than I did when I bought a copy about 13-14 years. Eye-opening, for sure!

IMG_4511.JPG

very nice looking copy! are you going to keep it raw?

On 1/18/2022 at 9:16 PM, alexgross.com said:

very nice looking copy! are you going to keep it raw?

Thanks! I'm happy with it. As for slabbing or not, for the time being I'll be keeping it raw. Truthfully, for books I plan on hanging onto, it's best that I keep them raw, because once I slab something, it becomes too easy/tempting to sell! Also, with the current turnaround times and quality control issues, I don't think I'll be slabbing anything for a while. So, it'll be at home in a mylar, full back and top loader for the foreseeable future!

That label is snazzy, haven't seen those before.  When did they start with the pic labels?

Are they still noting somewhere in text that it's the first appearance of Silver Surfer and Galactus?  I don't see that in your pic.

On 1/20/2022 at 6:34 AM, fantastic_four said:

That label is snazzy, haven't seen those before.  When did they start with the pic labels?

Are they still noting somewhere in text that it's the first appearance of Silver Surfer and Galactus?  I don't see that in your pic.

its on the back

On 6/7/2021 at 11:12 AM, APDallas said:

Not a great copy but it was what i could afford. Love it anyway.

ff48.thumb.jpg.fd1ded27e798bb1def027fcc73c12001.jpg

Although the double quotes are miscut, it is refreshing to see a copy with a full side bar/full Watcher's fingers which are commonly miswrapped towards the back cover on this book.