• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANTASTIC FOUR #48 CLUB : THE INTERGALACTIC BEACH CLUB II
11 11

332 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2017 at 3:13 PM, Mr bla bla said:

I desire a HG copy of this book:   9.0ish. But no way Im gonna dish out 2500 smackers for a universal 9.0.

im wondering: is restored the Way to Go on this book?

Restored is only accepted if you have an action 1 or detective 27, other than that, go unrestored and save up for one, it's only a few grand

Being a Silver Surfer fan, I decided to finally buy one of my holy grails.  Really happy about it, but turns out the case was damaged in transit (side post on that here) 

Asides from the cracked corner

...and the off-center cover

...and the distribution writing in pencil on the "F"...

at least I'm in the club now.  :D

IMG_7369.thumb.JPG.06427a2be2250f4e27a4bdeb396f56d0.JPG

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Being a Silver Surfer fan, I decided to finally buy one of my holy grails.  Really happy about it, but turns out the case was damaged in transit (side post on that here) 

It's a great copy!

Personally the centering "problem" on a book like this doesn't bother me in the slightest.  The wrap is not crooked, and (for me at least) it's better to have the front wrap slightly to the back than the reverse.

19 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Congrats! Almost every book has its issues...conversely, you did well with page quality!

I found it interesting that the vertical cut is also scrutinized with this book. The folks in the know say to pay attention to Sue’s foot. Apparently with a perfectly vertically centered book her foot is fully visible.

13 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Congrats! Almost every book has its issues...conversely, you did well with page quality!

I found it interesting that the vertical cut is also scrutinized with this book. The folks in the know say to pay attention to Sue’s foot. Apparently with a perfectly vertically centered book her foot is fully visible.

Yes, the White page coloring definitely influenced my decision in the purchasing process.  And for whatever reason, I never thought to use Sue's foot as a metric for the bottom of the cover, I always looked at the Watchers which I realize now is a far more imprecise marker.

On 11/24/2017 at 2:03 AM, ExNihilo said:

Yes, the White page coloring definitely influenced my decision in the purchasing process.  And for whatever reason, I never thought to use Sue's foot as a metric for the bottom of the cover, I always looked at the Watchers which I realize now is a far more imprecise marker.

You never got the book reholdered ?  I just took a look at the old thread now and I think CGC will require a regrade, not a simple reholder. That corner is smashed. The book will probably be fine but I would worry about losing the White Page designation. This is what I did in a similar situation. Crack it out of the outer slab but leave it in the inner well . Put the inner well into a large Mylar BAg and Board. Or, better yet, put the old inner well into a used empty slab.  

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You never got the book reholdered ?  I just took a look at the old thread now and I think CGC will require a regrade, not a simple reholder. That corner is smashed. The book will probably be fine but I would worry about losing the White Page designation. This is what I did in a similar situation. Crack it out of the outer slab but leave it in the inner well . Put the inner well into a large Mylar BAg and Board. Or, better yet, put the old inner well into a used empty slab.  

Sorry, I never followed up on that old thread.  I did send the book off to get reholdered so it's still an 8.0 with White pages.

2 hours ago, SECollector said:

I literally saved this from an attic here in Sweden - and now I am a member of the club! :banana:

I have no idea if I will get this graded, or even of it is worth getting graded, but I will definitely enjoy reading it first.

FF 48 F800.jpg

Wooooaaahh...what a save!  Love attic stories and finding hidden gems in obscure places.  That is a beautiful copy right there, enjoy and congrats!

15 hours ago, DST said:

Wooooaaahh...what a save!  Love attic stories and finding hidden gems in obscure places.  That is a beautiful copy right there, enjoy and congrats!

Being an exterminator I have been in a million attics. I  have always dreamed of finding a bunch of books in an attic. Maybe one day that Action 1 will come my way.