• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANTASTIC FOUR #48 CLUB : THE INTERGALACTIC BEACH CLUB II
11 11

332 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2023 at 7:03 PM, ORRGO THE UNCONQUERABLE said:

Got a nice 5.0 FF 48, super psyched, usually I get 1.8 and 2.0 ff kirbys but wanted a nice one for this. I'm about 17 issues away from a full Fantastic four run 1961-2023

ff48.jpeg

17 issues from a complete FF run from 1961 to 2023? That's incredible!! 

Can I ask what issues you ask need? Hopefully you got the big ones out of the way. 

I'm truly impressed!  

On 12/13/2023 at 9:45 AM, Cushing Fan said:

Plus there is nice centering on this book - not crazy when I see "ARVEL" on FF48 lol!

I held out for many, many years on a high grade copy of this book for that exact reason; something like 80% of all copies are miswrapped as you describe.  Snagged a quick high-ish grade with a great wrap first, then held out for a 9.6 copy for almost a decade.  My copies have off-white pages, but I prioritize wrap over that for slabbed copies since you can't even see the interior.

From 2000 to 2010 I don't recall seeing a 9.6 or 9.8 with great wrap and white pages even one time, although since 2010 I've seen at least one or two like that.

On 12/13/2023 at 11:47 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I didn't know "wrap" was a common problem on this book. 

It's not just FF #48--it's every issue on every title released around this time.  I know Spidey #33 was released around the same time FF #48 released and it has the exact same "arvel omics roup" bad wrap, and the same is also true with the other titles.

On 12/13/2023 at 10:04 AM, fantastic_four said:

I held out for many, many years on a high grade copy of this book for that exact reason; something like 80% of all copies are miswrapped as you describe.  Snagged a quick high-ish grade with a great wrap first, then held out for a 9.6 copy for almost a decade.  My copies have off-white pages, but I prioritize wrap over that for slabbed copies since you can't even see the interior.

From 2000 to 2010 I don't recall seeing a 9.6 or 9.8 with great wrap and white pages even one time, although since 2010 I've seen at least one or two like that.

Wow, a 9.6 FF 48 would be awesome to own. At one time I owned a CGC 9.2 white page when they were $2,000. I had a CGC 9.0 white page after that but sold it to buy an Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC .5. So for now this CGC 5.0 is the only copy in my collection. 

On 12/13/2023 at 9:47 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I didn't know "wrap" was a common problem on this book.  This was the only copy of this I saw as a kid, so I really lucked out.  Plenty of other problems but at least not that one :).  I also try to avoid "arvel omics roup" books.

FF - 48.jpg

Same here. I got mine in my early teens either from a trade or from a friend leaving the hobby. Guess I was lucky with the wrap.

FantasticFour48.thumb.jpg.26cca256ef30d1f79cad0f78b3af114f.jpg

On 12/13/2023 at 9:57 AM, fantastic_four said:

It's not just FF #48--it's every issue on every title released around this time.  I know Spidey #33 was released around the same time FF #48 released and it has the exact same "arvel omics roup" bad wrap, and the same is also true with the other titles.

Same deal here although edging around the side.  Happy accidents.  I find it really helpful to have this kind of information posted about various books so I know what "problems" to look for or what cover wraps are hard to find.

ASM - 33.jpg