• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

From the stash....

48 posts in this topic

I love this book, but it makes me kinda sad every time I look at it. When I picked it up I had to choose between it and a Doctor Strange #169 for maybe $300 less. Right now you could probably still pick up a copy of this book for more or less the same price but the DS169 is nowhere to be seen for how much it sold for in winter of 2012.

You made a good choice.

Besides the title of the thread is "From the stash" not "the cash". :baiting:

I made almost exactly the same choice. For a while it looked like there was going to be a Dan Adkins signing, and I came very close to pulling the trigger on a 9.6 169. I really wish I would have because they have gone through the ROOF!

I ended up consoling myself with a couple of Sterankos and Stan Lees. :grin:

Entry #7

Astonishing Tales #25

Probably the book I get the most emails about, this was my very first 9.9 and also my very first purchase off of ComicLink (its actually a tie with Iron Man 282 9.9).

I was introduced to Deathlok by a classmate in junior high. It was issue #1 of a 4 issue mini series back in '91 and also the introduction of the Michael Collins Deathlok. I was a big Robocop fan in the 80s (I actually sneaked into a screening as an 11 year old :devil: ) so the whole "wake up and holy $#!t I'm a robot" type of story was really interesting to me. The mini series as a whole was meh, but I thought the 1st issue was a stand out having some really decent art and a story that I do go back to read every now and again.

After a pretty lengthy hiatus from collecting getting a copy of the AT25 was a priority once I started hunting again and as luck would have it the highest graded copy popped up on CL. It couldnt have been a better time to be a buyer looking back at 2012 prices.

Scan-130306-00013_zpsc8affebb.jpg

I made almost exactly the same choice. For a while it looked like there was going to be a Dan Adkins signing, and I came very close to pulling the trigger on a 9.6 169. I really wish I would have because they have gone through the ROOF!

I ended up consoling myself with a couple of Sterankos and Stan Lees. :grin:

Yup seanfingh you feel my pain. Not saying I'd have picked the DS169 instead if I had it to do over again.....................I wouldve bought BOTH :D

Entry #8

Wonder Woman #210

The first time I saw this book was in a military laundromat overseas as a kid. Lots of the base laundromats were book dumps, kinda like leave a penny take a penny, and ours had a big wooden box that was filled with comics. This is one of the ones I remember because of the beautiful cover.

Scan-130304-0009_zpsb2386e6a.jpg

Entry #7

Astonishing Tales #25

Probably the book I get the most emails about, this was my very first 9.9 and also my very first purchase off of ComicLink (its actually a tie with Iron Man 282 9.9).

I was introduced to Deathlok by a classmate in junior high. It was issue #1 of a 4 issue mini series back in '91 and also the introduction of the Michael Collins Deathlok. I was a big Robocop fan in the 80s (I actually sneaked into a screening as an 11 year old :devil: ) so the whole "wake up and holy $#!t I'm a robot" type of story was really interesting to me. The mini series as a whole was meh, but I thought the 1st issue was a stand out having some really decent art and a story that I do go back to read every now and again.

After a pretty lengthy hiatus from collecting getting a copy of the AT25 was a priority once I started hunting again and as luck would have it the highest graded copy popped up on CL. It couldnt have been a better time to be a buyer looking back at 2012 prices.

Scan-130306-00013_zpsc8affebb.jpg

This book is just awesome! I always drool at it when I see your sig.

Entry #9

The Punisher Limited #1-#5

If the 80s and 90s movies were about anything, they were about shooting a lot of bullets and blowing $#!t up. So it isnt often I meet somebody who read comics during those years and wasnt into The Punisher.

Punisher back issues were easy to find and cheap to get when I was a kid. The only ones that proved difficult to obtain (other than the obvious ASM129) were the Limited issues. If I'm being honest even those werent that hard to find, but my pocket money was a bit shorter in those days.

I put together this set pretty easily in the last year and all but the #1 and #5 were sent in raw (I have since subbed multiple copies of both #1 and #5 and received 9.8s but decided to keep these as they presented better).

PunisherBanner_zps713ca540.jpg

Entry #10

Incredible Hulk #377 3rd print

When I received the alert for this book on my phone I wasnt even looking for it. I was trying to get a copy of the 1st and 2nd prints and just assumed the 3rd print to be unattainable (at the time it was the ONLY copy graded 9.8). I was about 12 hours into a poker session at the MGM Grand and up quite a bit. So, rather impulsively, I pick up one of the rarer copper age books and met a seller who turned out to be a real stand up guy............Sup Billy!!! :hi:

I regret nothing!!!

Scan-130306-00034_zpsd30313ad.jpg

Entry #11

Ms Marvel #18

This is the first book I picked up on the boards. A kind fellow named Troy (Terranova-6 now but something else at the time) shot me a PM in response to my WTB. I was a ultra-noob then and hooked me up with a easy transaction and a decent price. I have upgraded that copy since then to one with a Chris Claremont sig :D

Scan-140714-0008_zpsc29c44db.jpg

Scan-140718-0001_zps580acc54.jpg

Entry #13 and #14

New Mutants Annual #2 and Captain Brittain #8

Always been a fan of Psylocke in the 90's. Claremont wrote her more dark and cold after ish #256 and if theres one artist who can draw a sexy bad-@$$ it was Jim Lee. Case in point:

Scan-130524-0001_zpsd0639806.jpg

I picked up a raw copy of her 1st app (which I later found out to actually be her 1st US app) back in 2000. I had it graded and it came back 9.6. After looking for a great while and not finding a 9.8 copy I got my buddy Billy in on the task and he was able to track down a dealer box full of them. He sent off 11 9.8 worthy copies to be graded and the census jumped from 8 universal 9.8s to 19. He sold me two copies and I was a very happy man..............for a while......

Scan-130621-0001_zps22eef164.jpg

Inevitably, the itch came to acquire the 1st app of Betsy Braddock. After watching a couple of auctions close way too high I finally found a copy recently with a reasonable price and with the help of a few eBay bucks I snapped up this beauty...

Scan-150112-0003_zpsbzrkoeww.jpg

So now I have a new book to find. If anybody has a slabbed 9.8 they're willing to sell lemme know...

UncannyX-Men510Sketch_zpskxwkup85.jpg

Entry #15-#18

Uncanny X-Men #500 Dodson Cover

Uncanny X-Men #500 Dodson Sketch Cover

Uncanny X-Men #500 Turner Cover

Uncanny X-Men #500 Turner Sketch Cover

Finally picked up the color version of the Turner variant. After looking for a couple of years.

Scan-150313-0001_zpscihabna2.jpg

Scan-130305-0001_zps1xv4kh2r.jpg

Scan-130815-0001_zpsf09ylymj.jpg

Scan-140813-0001_zps6pgpew42.jpg