• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
11 11

4,763 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2021 at 7:17 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Which of his very desired books have come down significantly, specifically?

-J.

Danger Girl stuff seems to have come down quite a bit.

I had a few of his Black Cat books too but none of the ultra rare variants.

His super rare variants seem to have stuck though, I will say that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/6/2022 at 2:53 PM, Oskywalker said:

Most recent additions.

 

20220102_093027.jpg

20220102_092939.jpg

20220102_092448.jpg

20220102_092435.jpg

20211211_140042.jpg

20211208_155222.jpg

20211129_192720.jpg

20211129_192539.jpg

20211129_192531.jpg

20211129_192519.jpg

20211129_192507.jpg

20211129_192458.jpg

20211129_192458.jpg

20211129_192448.jpg

20211129_192437.jpg

20211206_115124.jpg

That is a hell of a haul! Congrats. So many great books in there!

On 1/8/2022 at 8:41 PM, Scandell said:

I've been out of the Campbell loop for the past year.  Can someone explain to me the rising prices of my 9.8 Black 1 variant:

 

Image from iOS (13).jpg

I don't know what that book has shot up in value recently but I am not complaining haha I was lucky enough to submit one and have it come back as a 9.8!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2022 at 5:41 PM, Scandell said:

I've been out of the Campbell loop for the past year.  Can someone explain to me the rising prices of my 9.8 Black 1 variant:

 

Image from iOS (13).jpg

It was a hot book when it first released on the strength of the cover.  Supply was low, demand has been high.  The Le Chat Noir poster is iconic and in my opinion, this homage by JSC is one of his best pieces of the last decade.  I passed at the time of release, but really hope to get a copy one day.

 

EDIT: just checked the eBay price.  Really wish I had bought it at release now.  Safe to say that's one book I'll never get now.  At that price, there are other major keys I'd much rather own than a "pretty cover".

Edited by ExNihilo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2022 at 7:50 PM, ExNihilo said:

I haven't bought anything from the JSC store in quite a while now, but i'm digging the "bad girl" vibe of covers C and D.  Might have to do with the fact that I get a little weak in the knees when I see girls with tattoo sleeves.  

MJ_Black_Cat_Beyond_1_A_2022_1024px_w_2048x.png?v=1642109750

MJ_Black_Cat_Beyond_1_B_2022_1024px_w_2048x.png?v=1642109750

MJ_Black_Cat_Beyond_1_C_2022_1024px_w_2048x.png?v=1642109750

MJ_Black_Cat_Beyond_1_D_2022_1024px_w_2048x.png?v=1642109750

 

I have never bought a pack straight from JSC before but I am really hoping to snag this one. I try to save my comic money for keys and not just for covers but I am loving these ones. He draws my favorite version of Black Cat and he killed it on these four. Hopefully it isn't crazy expensive and isn't sold out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2022 at 4:22 AM, Wheels38 said:

I have never bought a pack straight from JSC before but I am really hoping to snag this one. I try to save my comic money for keys and not just for covers but I am loving these ones. He draws my favorite version of Black Cat and he killed it on these four. Hopefully it isn't crazy expensive and isn't sold out. 

I was totally in your position 3 years ago.  Then I started accumulating variant covers that I thought looked cool, but I've barely gone back and revisited since.  I realized that my keys brought me more satisfaction because many of those were books that I've wanted since childhood.  That's when I realized that these pretty variant covers by JSC and the likes only bring me short term happiness.  But the old, more expensive keys...those bring me long term happiness.  After that point, I pretty much swore off variants and put that money towards the keys that 6 year old me would have only dreamed of.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, just saying to think honestly about whether the enjoyment you get from these books will be long lasting or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2022 at 1:04 PM, ExNihilo said:

I was totally in your position 3 years ago.  Then I started accumulating variant covers that I thought looked cool, but I've barely gone back and revisited since.  I realized that my keys brought me more satisfaction because many of those were books that I've wanted since childhood.  That's when I realized that these pretty variant covers by JSC and the likes only bring me short term happiness.  But the old, more expensive keys...those bring me long term happiness.  After that point, I pretty much swore off variants and put that money towards the keys that 6 year old me would have only dreamed of.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, just saying to think honestly about whether the enjoyment you get from these books will be long lasting or not.

Honestly I think the price of this pack will be the determining factor for me. If it is not crazy high I may still pull the trigger and hope I still like the books next year lol I love the JSC books I have because I love his artwork and the story that was inside the book. This would be the first time I bought a book solely on the cover without actually reading what is inside. The problem I am facing is most of the keys I still want are outside of my price range but I have Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket haha You bring up a great point though!!! I have never thought of it like that. My keys are the ones I talk about with others. Thanks for the different view point ExNihilo! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2022 at 10:29 AM, ygogolak said:

No shame in his game. :flipbait:

 

 

unnamed.jpg

How do you just "add inventory"?  They explicitly stated how many copies of each book would be available.  I guess they held copies back to be sold at live convention events and then decided to release some of those back for online?  In any case, everything is sold out now except for cover A by the looks of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2022 at 6:31 PM, ExNihilo said:

How do you just "add inventory"?  They explicitly stated how many copies of each book would be available.  I guess they held copies back to be sold at live convention events and then decided to release some of those back for online?  In any case, everything is sold out now except for cover A by the looks of it.

"warehouse find...."

:roflmao:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just going to point out something that makes no sense. You must buy a Copy A cover with any other cover. Yet Copy A is "limited" to 3000. The others are 1800. So if I choose to buy 1800 sets of C and D, that's 3600 copies of A. The only way he makes this work is by basically selling only half his stock and holding onto the rest for future upcharging. Avoid his scam.

Screenshot_20220116-100630_Firefox.jpg

Edited by Tnexus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2022 at 10:11 AM, Tnexus said:

Just going to point out something that makes no sense. You must buy a Copy A cover with any other cover. Yet Copy A is "limited" to 3000. The others are 1800. So if I choose to buy 1800 sets of C and D, that's 3600 copies of A. The only way he makes this work is by basically selling only half his stock and holding onto the rest for future upcharging. Avoid his scam.

Screenshot_20220116-100630_Firefox.jpg

Interesting.  I didn't even think about that with this or any prior sales.  I wonder if it's as simple as a typo (like maybe there are only 600 copies of B/C/D for 1800 total).  Or maybe they only planned to sell like 600 copies of B/C/D (1800 total) and when they realized no one was buying up JUST cover A, that they could reallocate an additional 300 copies of each.  But if that's the case, he'd be sitting on a stock of 900 copies of B/C/D still which seems unlikely as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
11 11