• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is X-Men #1 graded CGC 9.2 underrated (Value)?

286 posts in this topic

Come on guys. Let's enjoy these funny books, brittle, tan, light-tan, cream, cream-off-white, off-white-white, white pages. They did survive the normal wear and tear of time, the ever-present moms of America and destruction.

+1.

There's a large contingency of collectors who are happy to just own the book at all. Which is why, for example, a "brittle paged" restored cap 1, 0.5 (comicconnect), a "cr/ow" AF 15, 5.0 (hake's) and a "cr/ow" 8.0 hulk 181 (ebay) can all set GPA highs in the same week. :whee:

-J.

You only need one buyer for a book.

True...and you only need one buyer that's willing to pay more for a White pager, so unless there's someone out there that's willing to pay more for an Off-White to White Pager than they are for a White pager all else being equal...well, there isn't anyone like that so that's that. (thumbs u

You only need one buyer for a book.

True...and you only need one buyer that's willing to pay more for a White pager, so unless there's someone out there that's willing to pay more for an Off-White to White Pager than they are for a White pager all else being equal...well, there isn't anyone like that so that's that. (thumbs u

Do you mean "other" than in the multitude of examples I have already linked to and/or referenced ?

:baiting:

-J.

Though it's not explicitly included in the CGC census, we all know certain books are very difficult to find with White Pages. Showcase 22, Brave and Bold 28 being two examples. Rarity adds to value.

So, with White pages you have more rarity and probably better eye appeal. With White pages you probably have better preservation yielding enhanced cover colors and brightness. With this being said, if the White Pager has chipping, bad centering, writing on the cover, etc. the White pages don't mean jack. I think this is what you are finding in your GPA statistics, cases where fugly White Pagers are compared to appealing non White Pagers. I don't know of any dealer that would not price in White Pages for a book like Showcase 22. I know I have been approached on books simply because they have White Pages. Jaydog, sorry man, but you are just wrong in this discussion.

How am I wrong? If I read your post correctly, you just agreed with me. You just agreed that "white pages" on the label does not necessarily mean anything if there are other issues with the book detracting from eye appeal that trump "PQ". This is what I have been saying all along. And I agreed with you that if a book is otherwise "perfect" and also has "white pages" on the label it may very well deserve a modest "premium". But books such as these are few and far between.

And for the record I have seen many books with tanning on the cover and with "white pages" on the label. This is why I do not buy into equating overall preservation with CGC'S at times random "PQ" designations.

-J.

So the same thing can be said for grades (a well presenting front cover with a stain or rip on the back will often command a beat up front cover with a clean back), tape on a book, wrap. ALL of those command price increases/decreases.

So the same thing can be said for grades (a well presenting front cover with a stain or rip on the back will often command a beat up front cover with a clean back), tape on a book, wrap. ALL of those command price increases/decreases.

Agreed, totally obvious. I don't think anyone is arguing against that statement. However, the OP's original question was 'How much more does a 9.2 White Pages cost compared to a non white page copy (in general )? ' My response is simply, in general, a White Pager will command a premium. Jaydog feels it will not.

If I throw poop on the ceiling, will it stick ?

Agreed, totally obvious. I don't think anyone is arguing against that statement. However, the OP's original question was 'How much more does a 9.2 White Pages cost compared to a non white page copy (in general )? ' My response is simply, in general, a White Pager will command a premium. Jaydog feels it will not.

If I throw poop on the ceiling, will it stick ?

Yes.

That was easy.

Though it's not explicitly included in the CGC census, we all know certain books are very difficult to find with White Pages. Showcase 22, Brave and Bold 28 being two examples. Rarity adds to value.

So, with White pages you have more rarity and probably better eye appeal. With White pages you probably have better preservation yielding enhanced cover colors and brightness. With this being said, if the White Pager has chipping, bad centering, writing on the cover, etc. the White pages don't mean jack. I think this is what you are finding in your GPA statistics, cases where fugly White Pagers are compared to appealing non White Pagers. I don't know of any dealer that would not price in White Pages for a book like Showcase 22. I know I have been approached on books simply because they have White Pages. Jaydog, sorry man, but you are just wrong in this discussion.

How am I wrong? If I read your post correctly, you just agreed with me. You just agreed that "white pages" on the label does not necessarily mean anything if there are other issues with the book detracting from eye appeal that trump "PQ". This is what I have been saying all along. And I agreed with you that if a book is otherwise "perfect" and also has "white pages" on the label it may very well deserve a modest "premium". But books such as these are few and far between.

And for the record I have seen many books with tanning on the cover and with "white pages" on the label. This is why I do not buy into equating overall preservation with CGC'S at times random "PQ" designations.

-J.

Yep. It is as I said before. Different people pay "premiums" for whatever turns them on because outside the most modern of moderns there are very few books that are universally "perfect". It is because of this diversity in the marketplace that makes a "white pages premium" impossible to either prove or quantify.

-J.

For me, I would pay a small premium if I were to buy a white paged book over a lesser PQ book if say visually one book is comparable with the other with practically the same kind of defects (not that it would happen). That's just me though :). Nothing compares the freshness of white pages It's like newsstand fresh and that it was preserved during optimal conditions.

For me, I would pay a small premium if I were to buy a white paged book over a lesser PQ book if say visually one book is comparable with the other with practically the same kind of defects (not that it would happen). That's just me though :). Nothing compares the freshness of white pages It's like newsstand fresh and that it was preserved during optimal conditions.

There are also people who actually prefer pages that are not White to pages that are White.

You guys do understand that "white pages" according to CGC-speak does not literally refer to the "colour" of the paper, right ? That's why books with edge tanning can still have "white pages" on the label , as well as many GA books with dirty, almost brown looking pages that could not be dry cleaned.

-J.

-J.

Yep. It is as I said before. Different people pay "premiums" for whatever turns them on because outside the most modern of moderns there are very few books that are universally "perfect". It is because of this diversity in the marketplace that makes a "white pages premium" impossible to either prove or quantify.

-J.

So because a book doesn't ALWAYS get a premium it doesn't count...

So back to my point. Several times books in lesser grade have sold for more than previous books in higher grade. Same with Marvel Chipping and including other defects.

You have been told by dealers & collectors that they will pay more for white pages... Am I missing something?

-J.

-J.

So back to my point. Several times books in lesser grade have sold for more than previous books in higher grade. Same with Marvel Chipping and including other defects.

You have been told by dealers & collectors that they will pay more for white pages... Am I missing something?

Yes I think you have. The part where those same dealers and collectors stated such a litany of qualifiers under which they may pay a small "premium" that such an alleged "premium" turns out to be exactly what I have been saying all along- inconsistent and impossible to either prove or quantify. If the results of the test of a hypothesis are unable to be repeated then the question being asked has been dis-proven. Speaking of which....

I think you also skipped the links and references to numerous examples across various ages where books with "lesser 'PQ'" sold for more than books with "white pages" on the label, for whatever reason that might have been.

Ergo if the question being asked is "Do books with 'white pages' on the label always sell for a little more than books without 'white pages' on the label?"

The answer is a resounding "no".

If the question then becomes, "Do books with 'white pages' on the label sometimes sell for a little more than books do without 'white pages' on the label ?"

The answer is "yes, sometimes".

However that also means that books without "white pages" on the label also "sometimes" sell for more as well.

That being the case, why bother to pay a "premium" for it either way ? (shrug)

-J.

-J.

-J.

Yes I think you have. The part where those same dealers and collectors stated such a litany of qualifiers under which they may pay a small "premium" that such an alleged "premium" turns out to be exactly what I have been saying all along- inconsistent and impossible to either prove or quantify. If the results of the test of a hypothesis are unable to be repeated then the question being asked has been dis-proven. Speaking of which....

I think you also skipped the links and references to numerous examples across various ages where books with "lesser 'PQ'" sold for more than books with "white pages" on the label, for whatever reason that might have been.

Ergo if the question being asked is "Do books with 'white pages' on the label always sell for a little more than books without 'white pages' on the label?"

The answer is a resounding "no".

If the question then becomes, "Do books with 'white pages' on the label sometimes sell for a little more than books do without 'white pages' on the label ?"

The answer is "yes, sometimes".

However that also means that books without "white pages" on the label also "sometimes" sell for more.

That being the case, why bother to pay a premium for it either way ? (shrug)

-J.

So if I post links to books that sell for higher than those in higher grade does that mean grade is irrelevant? What about books with MC? What about a book with a stain selling for more than a book without a stain in the same grade. Tape. All of those have the exact same qualifiers as white pages and all of those have had the exact same question asked.

Do you think people by 10.0's because they like the number 10 or because they want the best of the best? Just like everything else given the chance they would take the best of the best

Let me just say cream off white pages are just slightly(slightly mind you) different than white pages.You would be hard pressed to see any difference between them.I would not hesitate to buy a cr\off white ever,it just doesn't constitute a price difference to me.

On average, the more appealing a book seems to the observer, the more it fetches when compared to it's next less appealing counterpart.

It's all grey area because there are multiple attributes that a book can have. If it has chipping but white pages will it sell for more than a book with no chipping and OWW pages?

As a general rule most people factor in all qualities and page quality is one of them

On average, the more appealing a book seems to the observer, the more it fetches when compared to it's next less appealing counterpart.

It's all grey area because there are multiple attributes that a book can have. If it has chipping but white pages will it sell for more than a book with no chipping and OWW pages?

As a general rule most people factor in all qualities and page quality is one of them

Except for PQ cause that doesn't matter...