• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest of the rare???

51 posts in this topic

As is common knowledge Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 are the two of the most valuable comics in existence. My question is whether or not there are less mainstream books that may not be equivalent in value but are as scarce or scarcer and more desirable?

andddddd....

Go

What are some of the scarcest books out there?

There are books from all ages that are scarcer than Action 1 or Detective 27, including comics printed in the last 10 years. A lot of those are artificially rare though, printed in tiny quantities.

As for Golden Age comics, there are quite a few issues with less than 5 known copies. Many obscure romance comics, offbeat early superhero issues, Canadian Whites, ashcans and other oddities are exceptionally hard to find. Some of the most desired rarities were published by a company called Centaur, and featured early work by a lot of comic greats (like Bill Everett in the example below). Certain issues are VERY hard to find, with some having less than 20 known copies. Here is one of mine. I think I have seen two copies for sale, including this one, and I think Gator estimated maybe 15-25 known.

amf4_zpsf603ace3.jpg

There are books from all ages that are scarcer than Action 1 or Detective 27, including comics printed in the last 10 years. A lot of those are artificially rare though, printed in tiny quantities.

As for Golden Age comics, there are quite a few issues with less than 5 known copies. Many obscure romance comics, offbeat early superhero issues, Canadian Whites, ashcans and other oddities are exceptionally hard to find. Some of the most desired rarities were published by a company called Centaur, and featured early work by a lot of comic greats (like Bill Everett in the example below). Certain issues are VERY hard to find, with some having less than 20 known copies. Here is one of mine. I think I have seen two copies for sale, including this one, and I think Gator estimated maybe 15-25 known.

amf4_zpsf603ace3.jpg

Junk.

amf4_zpsf603ace3.jpg

What a cool book. :applause:

amf4_zpsf603ace3.jpg

Junk.

It's an old scan. I traded it for a stack of first Squirrel Girls.

amf4_zpsf603ace3.jpg

Junk.

It's an old scan. I traded it for a stack of first Squirrel Girls.

(worship) in five years you can use them to start a fire.

When Metropolis Comics chimes in, now that must be one rare book! Congrats October.

Here's one i just recently picked up: Super-Mystery Comics v6 #1 (When Gerber was putting the journals together it's one of a few books he could not find a copy of by publication. It's an 8 on the journals availability scale(11-20 est to exist). I know the internet has changed some of his estimations since the Journals were published, but i have been hunting this one for a while. I feel he was spot on.Super-MysteryComicsv61_zpsfd3a6897.jpg

Interior pageFullSizeRender1_zpsb490cfc4.jpg

amf4_zpsf603ace3.jpg

Junk.

yep, that is where he's going to shoot him...

:grin: