• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey showing up in Civil War movie

29 posts in this topic

I don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere else. According to the leaked emails from Sony, it seems that Disney and Sony are in the works to allow Spider-Man to join the Civil War movie. That would plug a huge plot hole in the movie. I, for one, would welcome this move.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/sony-leaks-spider-man-eyed-for-civil-war-role-104819138287.html

Sony Leaks: Spider-Man Eyed for 'Civil War' Role; Spidey Movie Comedy in Works

According to emails released during a recent hack on Sony Pictures, the studio and Marvel owner Disney have discussed teaming for an animated Spider-Man comedy — and to have the superhero show up in 2016’s Captain America: Civil War.

Read more 'Spider-Man' Fatigue: What's Behind Sony's Release Date Retreat

The emails were sent to and from Sony motion picture chief Amy Pascal, and included correspondences with Sony CEO Kaz Hirai and Disney CEO Bob Iger, according to The Wall Street Journal. Marvel is owned by Disney.

An Oct. 30 email from Sony Pictures President Doug Belgrad to Pascal discussed the possibility of Marvel producing a new Spider-Man trilogy that would see Sony retain “creative control, marketing and distribution.”

Those discussions later broke down, The Journal reports, adding that The Lego Movie directors Chris Miller and Phil Lord have a Spider-Man animated comedy in development at the studio.

Read more Sony Hack Reveals Top-Secret Profitability of 2013 Movies

Sony holds licensing rights to produce Spider-Man movies, though some Marvel fans have suggested the property should be returned so the hero could appear in Marvel Studios films. In the 2006 comic book storyline Civil War, Spider-Man plays a key role, which also had fans wishing he could appear in the film version.

In July, Sony moved its next Amazing Spider-Man film from 2016 to 2018 after The Amazing Spider-Man 2 failed to meet box-office expectations. It has spinoff films involving the Sinister Six and a female superhero in the works.

Sony suffered a large hack Nov. 24, which has resulted in the release of a slew of private emails, sensitive information about 47,000 employees and financial data to be released.

It WAS in the works, but Sony balked at the proposal which means talks will either continue OR Sony is just stupid.

Look...

I think it is kind of obvious that I am on the above average part of the spectrum when it comes to being a fan of that Spider-man character guy. However, Spider-man is a one trick pony. EVERY movie is going to be about Spider-man or it is going to be missing something. The Avengers was a team building universe from the beginning at least with an Iron Man movie and a Captain America movie... then work from there. (Thor was always a surprise to me.)

Spider-man has Spider-man as the protagonist of his universe. This is not the universe building franchise that Sony thinks they have. Surely Sony realizes this as talks are even taking place. Surely Sony sees the writing on the wall as their own plans for Spider-man seem to be either be ever changing or in a state of limbo.

I just don't see how, with the release date Marvel has given, how they could "cram" Spidey into the Captain America Civil War movie now without Spidey's involvement being just that, crammed.

However, for the most part, I would trust Marvel based on their track record so far.

I *think* Sony *could* build a "very small" universe based off of Spider-Man...But that would take time and effort and in my mind, they would have to restart...The new movies, just...Ugh...

Introduce Black Cat. Spinoff as a 'film noir' like movie. It could work...

Introduce Morbius in a movie. Spinoff dark Morbius vampire like horror movie. IF Sony has the rights to him.

Introduce Venom in a movie. Spinoff a solo Venom flick...Have that lead to the spawn of Carnage and have that lead to the Carnage movie - The classic Good Guy and Bad Guy Team Up to defeat a Really, Really Bad Guy.

I don't know just a few ideas but I feel, while there were decent moments in the past two movies, that overall Sony just botched the franchise.

In terms of Civil War, Spidey is the likeable character who is the ethical center of everything going on - something that Marvel could easily change to Falcon or someone who hasn't yet been introduced.

I think Spidey would be great for Marvel to get back, but I think the storyline will survive without them. Cap vs Iron Man is really the big thing behind Civil War.

IMHO Spidey was really wishy-washy in the crossover and they really hamstringed his character by making him so co-dependent on Tony Stark. Considering the source material, Spidey in Civil War wouldn't be that much of a bump. Anyways, that's my 2c

Anyone who thinks there isnt a number at which Sony would sell...same goes for Fox, by the way, is kidding themselves. Disney simply hasn't gotten to the point yet where they want it badly enough to pay those astronomical figures. But someday they will. It's not like they can't afford it.

As for Spidey as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Awesome. Spidey as the centerpiece of a Civil War movie? No way. The character hasn't been introduced ... His relationships with the other characters hasn't been established, etc. An extended cameo? Great. But that's the most that would honestly work, I think.

Anyone who thinks there isnt a number at which Sony would sell...same goes for Fox, by the way, is kidding themselves. Disney simply hasn't gotten to the point yet where they want it badly enough to pay those astronomical figures. But someday they will. It's not like they can't afford it.

As for Spidey as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Awesome. Spidey as the centerpiece of a Civil War movie? No way. The character hasn't been introduced ... His relationships with the other characters hasn't been established, etc. An extended cameo? Great. But that's the most that would honestly work, I think.

I agree.

But Spidey back in the hands of Marvel Studios would be amazing....

In addition to a Spidey leaked email from Sony, I rather liked this hilarious one from Scott Rudin (off-topic), that I think most people (even Angelina Jolie fans, like myself) can admit is probably right on the money.

From the article: He repeatedly slammed the idea of Jolie's "Cleopatra" movie, calling Jolie a "minimally talented spoiled brat" and said the big-budget project could jeopardize both he and (Amy) Pascal's careers.

"I'm not remotely interested in presiding over a $180m ego bath that we both know will be the career-defining debacle for us both," reads one email from Rudin. "I'm not destroying my career over a minimally talented spoiled brat who thought nothing of shoving this off her plate for eighteen months so she could go direct a movie. I have no desire to be making a movie with her, or anybody, that she runs and that we don't. She's a camp event and a celebrity and that's all and the last thing anybody needs is to make a giant bomb with her that any fool could see coming. We will end up being the laughing stock of our industry and we will deserve it, which is so clearly where this is headed that I cannot believe we are still wasting our time with it."

43589-kelso-burn-bpsK.gif

Ant-Man=Spider-Man ;)

You might be onto something...

I believe that he may be right... Paul Rudd would be a very bankable personality in this role and the source material would easily be able to be adapted for him.

Wow - makes sense and I didn't see that coming.

Seriously... good job.

Ant-Man=Spider-Man ;)

You might be onto something...

I believe that he may be right... Paul Rudd would be a very bankable personality in this role and the source material would easily be able to be adapted for him.

Wow - makes sense and I didn't see that coming.

Seriously... good job.

I know - that's crazy. I admittedly don't know much about Ant-Man, but it all makes a lot of sense.