• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best snags of the year! Let's see your best pick-ups of 2014...

344 posts in this topic

All right, go ahead and laugh, but this is my Grail pickup of the year...

2dh5iyh.jpg

and this is a close 2nd... :cloud9:

2i9s9zp.jpg

That's the same dame!

The Lady Eve!

A Barbara Stanwyk reference? Outstanding!

When I was moving out to Scottsdale, Richard (Mr. Bedrock) mentioned that he recalled a collector lived out there that had a high grade run of More Fun Comics, including a couple of Mile High copies. It rang a bell with me from the past too. He asked that if I were to locate the books he wanted the two Mile Highs.

So, a few months after we moved out here, I managed to hook up with the collector. Months of negotiations ensued, and Rick (Gator) and I went in on the deal together.

True to my word, we made sure Richard got the two Mile High More Funs, and I kept the one above. I was pleasantly surprised that the collector had a nice run of Adventures as well. We bought the entire collection. Gator listed many of them for sale on the boards a month or two ago. I'm not sure if he kept any of the books for himself or not.

It was a very impressive collection to say the least. There were some SA Keys as well such as Showcase #4, Tales of Suspense #39 and Journey into Mystery #83

So that is the story on these books

Thanks to Rick's and Bill's help my other good snag this year...

morefun65.jpg

morefun69.jpg

When I was moving out to Scottsdale, Richard (Mr. Bedrock) mentioned that he recalled a collector lived out there that had a high grade run of More Fun Comics, including a couple of Mile High copies. It rang a bell with me from the past too. He asked that if I were to locate the books he wanted the two Mile Highs.

So, a few months after we moved out here, I managed to hook up with the collector. Months of negotiations ensued, and Rick (Gator) and I went in on the deal together.

True to my word, we made sure Richard got the two Mile High More Funs, and I kept the one above. I was pleasantly surprised that the collector had a nice run of Adventures as well. We bought the entire collection. Gator listed many of them for sale on the boards a month or two ago. I'm not sure if he kept any of the books for himself or not.

It was a very impressive collection to say the least. There were some SA Keys as well such as Showcase #4, Tales of Suspense #39 and Journey into Mystery #83

morefun65.jpg

morefun69.jpg

Amazing copies. :cloud9:

morefun65.jpg

morefun69.jpg

I could die in peace with that MF 65, big fella.

All right, go ahead and laugh, but this is my Grail pickup of the year...

2dh5iyh.jpg

and this is a close 2nd... :cloud9:

2i9s9zp.jpg

That's the same dame!

The Lady Eve!

A Barbara Stanwyk reference? Outstanding!

Yep. And last night I watched a Babs Xmas double feature: Remember the Night followed by Christmas in Connecticut. :cloud9:

morefun65.jpg

morefun69.jpg

Sweet books!

By far it's this. Book was once mine 20 years ago and has now come home to stay.

cap30cgc80.jpg

James G

CONGRATULATIONS Sir :applause::applause::applause: I have had that happen a few times with books & it's a wonderful feeling to have an old friend back!!!! I'd say my most notable book to have back home is this copy of Marvel Mystery 36!!! I sold it to one of my very best friends & got it back nearly 10 years later!!!!!

marvel36_zps6a26d0e6.jpg

By far it's this. Book was once mine 20 years ago and has now come home to stay.

cap30cgc80.jpg

James G

CONGRATULATIONS Sir :applause::applause::applause: I have had that happen a few times with books & it's a wonderful feeling to have an old friend back!!!! I'd say my most notable book to have back home is this copy of Marvel Mystery 36!!! I sold it to one of my very best friends & got it back nearly 10 years later!!!!!

marvel36_zps6a26d0e6.jpg

love it :)