• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Wars 8 10.0

38 posts in this topic

Well, CGG has graded themselves a 10.0 of SW 8. It just so happens to be a double cover as well. Thoughts? Should a double cover book be a candidate for "perfection"??

Not unless both covers are 10s.

Jim

Well, CGG has graded themselves a 10.0 of SW 8. It just so happens to be a double cover as well. Thoughts? Should a double cover book be a candidate for "perfection"??

Not unless both covers are 10s.

Jim

If I'm not mistaken, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif CGC also shows the grade of the inner cover and then gives the grade of the outer cover in the notes.....

Remember, this is "Christina's collectibles" too. Didn't somebody warn ppl from buying from this person?

That's the real question.

Why would someone who actually owned a perfect book like this need to save

$5 on slabbing costs just to send it to the "other" grading company?

Why would someone risk losing hundreds of dollars on the secondary market

because buyers are generally still "unsure" about that "other" grading company?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe the answers are a little too obvious.

Here we go again. 893blahblah.gif I've used CGG and have had some good results. I guess it'll be up to the hi bidder to decide what the book is worth. I've also bought some really nice books from "Christina's collectibles"....Since i owned two copies of CGC's 9.9 secret Wars #8, i should have some say in the matter sumo.gif

I really am curious to see where this will go.

Regarding CGC's stance on double covers, the official grade given the book is based on the inner cover, and the grade of the outer cover is also given on the label. Here's my double cover House of Mystery:

hos256.jpg

Here we go again. 893blahblah.gif I've used CGG and have had some good results. I guess it'll be up to the hi bidder to decide what the book is worth. I've also bought some really nice books from "Christina's collectibles"....Since i owned two copies of CGC's 9.9 secret Wars #8, i should have some say in the matter sumo.gif

I really am curious to see where this will go.

Believe me, I personally was was not slamming CGG. I have a few CGG-PGA-PGX books, too.

I'm not sure if they put the better grade on the label. Of the double covers I've seen, the better grade has always been the inner cover...which makes sense, since it's protected from wear because of the outer cover.

I'm not sure if they put the better grade on the label. Of the double covers I've seen, the better grade has always been the inner cover...which makes sense, since it's protected from wear because of the outer cover.

Add that to the fact that you cannot remove the inner cover alone without taking the book apart, therby qualifying for a PLOD. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Add that to the fact that you cannot remove the inner cover alone without taking the book apart, therby qualifying for a PLOD. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is there a rumor that a double cover X-Men 1 9.2 turned into a 9.4 single cover?

I thought a 10.0 coudn't have a production defect. crazy.gif

Dice that be a tricky thing. In this case, I could accept a 10 Qualified type label with the explanatory qualifier being the 9.8 outer cover.

But to me, this example speaks more to the cover being the end-all of grade (something I disagree with). How can a 10 posess a 9.8? It cannot. So how should a grading company reconcile this? Certainly not with a 10 grade, but with a grade that reflects the real state.

added with edit superfast:: Thing is there may be a 9.8 cover and a 10 cover underneath. But does the 10 cover dictate the grade of the whole book?

added with edit superfast:: Thing is there may be a 9.8 cover and a 10 cover underneath. But does the 10 cover dictate the grade of the whole book?

It would if the outer cover was removed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The question then would be, would the book attract a better price as a straight up 10.0, or as a double cover 9.8? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It would if the outer cover was removed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The question then would be, would the book attract a better price as a straight up 10.0, or as a double cover 9.8? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think that they did qualify it with the two grades being listed and the consumer can make the decision. I'm pretty sure CGC would have done it this way. Maybe some one from CGC can offer some input as to how a 10.0/9.8 would be graded by them. gossip.gif Personally, I think different should rules apply for grading a double cover as they are a "variant" to themselves. 99% of collectors should know the difference.

"Unique one-of-a-kind highest graded copy! ! Rare DOUBLE COVER!! outer cover is a 9.8 , inner graded 10.0! This book will skyrocket when the next movie features VENOM!!"

Oh, please, no. This is just sales pitch, right? I don't keep up with movie news... foreheadslap.gif

I have many double cover books, and while you are correct in most instances, there are exceptions. I own a few books where the inside cover may have a chunk of the inside cover missing. I sold a Double Cover MTU to another board member where the inner cover was a 3.0 and the outer cover was a 9.0. Both grades were notated in the comments, but the 9.0 grade was presented on the label.

I thought a 10.0 coudn't have a production defect. crazy.gif

Dice that be a tricky thing. In this case, I could accept a 10 Qualified type label with the explanatory qualifier being the 9.8 outer cover.

But to me, this example speaks more to the cover being the end-all of grade (something I disagree with). How can a 10 posess a 9.8? It cannot. So how should a grading company reconcile this? Certainly not with a 10 grade, but with a grade that reflects the real state.

POV, you bring up a point. Here is how I view this issue...

For me, a book with a double cover is not so much a defect as a "bonus". If a book is a 10.0 book, then the outside cover is just an added bonus and really has no effect on the grade of the book. This is one of the appeals of the double cover book for a collector like me. I realize that this may not be how the comic industry, grading companies, or other collectors see things, so please don't take this as some sort of blanket justification...just my own.